How can I delete a segment without deleting the contacts who are in that segment?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I was playing around with segments to learn how they work, but now I have several I don't need anymore. When I go to delete a segment, though, it asks me if I'm sure I want to delete those contacts and no, I definitely don't! What to do?
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Laurie -- Great question! If you're deleting the segment itself from the audience page, you're only deleting that segment, not the contacts in it. Essentially, you're removing that basket and the criteria that were pulling those contacts into that basket.

If you open the segment and select contacts to delete, you'll be asked if you want to delete the contacts from all groups and your audience. This will indeed move those selected contacts to your deleted items.

This comes in handy if you want to use segments to isolate and delete your unengaged readers! Let me know if that doesn't clear things up.
Photo of Laurie T.

Laurie T.

• 98 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Perfect, thanks!
Photo of Author Emilie Richards

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Emily, if you're still monitoring this? I have a segment of "non-responders and sent them emails in preparation to delete them. But many want to stay on. How do I remove them from that segment before I delete all the others? There's no option to just delete them from the segment and not from all groups in general. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Emilie -- I know we took care of this question over here and here, but wanted to close the loop here. Let me know if you run into any other questions on this topic!

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I followed everyone's helpful instructions and created an audience group of readers who hadn't opened an email in a year. I've removed all who responded to my final email and now want to delete everyone who is left. If I delete group using the drop down arrow, will this delete those names from all lists--my goal--or will it just remove that audience group and the readers will remain in other groups? Thanks for your help. We're almost there. 

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Okay, I figured it out. Selected all contacts, delete and delete from all groups. So I think I've got it now, and appreciate your help even though I didn't wait for it.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Yes!! You beat me to it. :)