Why can't I export a full report of a mailing response?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I used to be able to export a full report of a mailing response.  Now it is all broken up into different spreadsheets.
Photo of TWG Plus

TWG Plus

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi TWG -- It looks like you've noticed the export updates we've just released to your account! 

We've revamped the entire exporting process and, as a result, expanded the options for detailed exporting. While those details now export individually, you should see much faster and more consistent exporting in your account. You can read more about the new process for exporting your mailing response here
Photo of Becky-Jo

Becky-Jo

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Changes to Export Responses.

I just noticed that the Export Responses option has changed! Before, everything was included on separate tabs but on one spreadsheet. Now they all come as separate spreadsheets! I have to say, this is very inconvenient for us. Now we will have to combine all of the spreadsheets to build our report. What is most concerning about this change, is that nothing was communicated. I'm a little frustrated with this. Is there any way to revert back to the old export option?
Photo of Life Cycle Institute

Life Cycle Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I couldn't agree more.
Photo of Lorie L

Lorie L

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I despise the new set up and that we weren't given an option to choose how to export.
Photo of LAL Computers

LAL Computers

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Totally annoyed with TEN different files to deal with.  Please!  Hurry up and give us the PDF solution so it's on one page . . . something.  This is not a good fix.  Sorry for the negative.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear you're annoyed! As of this morning, we do have the ability to export a mailing's response overview to a PDF, though I'm not sure that's quite what you're seeking.
Photo of LAL Computers

LAL Computers

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes - I like a PDF.  Did a work around this morning.  Thanks for replying.  These reports are so important!
Photo of Becky-Jo

Becky-Jo

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Katie Lewis, a moderator for Emma, gave this reason for the change: "Becky-Jo, I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated! The new exporting process means getting a spreadsheet with your data works much, much more quickly than before. There isn't a way to revert to the old version, but I'm merging your post into the main thread."

Thanks for your reply Katie. I've attached an image of how we currently use the read reporting tool. About a week after our mailings go out, we gather the read report data and send this information to our markets or to a specific point person who is responsible for reviewing the data providing any necessary updates, changes or feedback. With all of this information being delivered on separate spreadsheets, this may cause some backup in our process. Do you have any suggestions on how to make our process more efficient while using the updated exporting process?

Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi again, Becky-Jo! The new exporting process should be giving you a zipped file containing the details you selected in this popup:

Are you able to share that zipped file itself with your point person, instead of extracting the individual spreadsheets from the file and sending those? They'd still receive the same information in individual spreadsheets, but I think what I'm hearing is that it's cumbersome to attach a number of spreadsheets to your email. Am I understanding that right? Let me know if not, and I'll put my head together with a couple colleagues' when we're back in the office Monday to brainstorm another solution.

I want to add a quick note about the message you included above, which is the message you received when I merged your separate post into this one. I'm afraid part of my text was truncated, which made me sound a bit terse -- I'm sorry for that! I must have gone over the word limit for those messages, as I tend to be wordy. :) What I'd hoped to convey is that I was merging your post into this main thread so we can keep all feedback about the new exporting process (which went live yesterday) in one place to share with our Product Team and track sentiment. I hope that's OK and didn't make you feel like you were being shrugged off!

I'll be on the lookout for your reply Monday, and we'll keep working toward a solution to ease your team's workflow.
Photo of Becky-Jo

Becky-Jo

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi, Katie. Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem isn't that it's cumbersome to attach the multiple spreadsheets, it is the fact that all of the information is now parsed into multiple spreadsheets. It does not make sense to have the read report information for one mailing to be split into nine spreadsheets instead of one spreadsheet with multiple tabs. It seems to be a step back in the process instead of a stride forward. Does this make sense? 
Photo of Stop At Nothing, Inc.

Stop At Nothing, Inc.

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Katie, I agree with Becky-Jo.  This new process is very time consuming.  I need to send my work colleagues a list of our clients and their activity per mailing.  None of us want to open multiple spreadsheets and have to save this pertinent data in multiple places relating to one campaign.  What you had before was perfect.  Why mess with perfection?

Andrea Haas
Photo of Cummins Mellor

Cummins Mellor

• 71 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I totally agree with Becky-Jo! We had to re-format the old spreadsheet now we have to re-format about 8 or 9!

We're very disappointed that we cant revert back to the original response format, we need a solution to this and soon preferably.

Thank you
Photo of Chinook Medical Gear

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
We use Tables and Pivot Tables to analyze the results and associate purchases made by email recipients. The ability to export the data with each email address occupying one line that includes all the information would be much better for us.  Below is a screen shot of the end result of our data manipulation which requires multiple steps including a macro that only works w/ the old export. This is the only way I know of to get the big picture of our emails' performance. Is it possible to have data export in this manner? It would only require one tab.

Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Chinook Medical Gear, this is an interesting idea we've considered, but it seems to get very complicated when you try to track links and clicks in this format, especially if you have a lot of links. How are you handling that in your pivot table here? 

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Due to the overwhelming nature of the amount of data, we currently do not analyze what customers click on. Only that they open and click. It would be great to  know but I don't have a process for looking at in that detail.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Chinook Medical Gear! I'd love to hear more about the type of detail you want regarding clicks outside of the click map. Are you up for  creating a new conversation here in Emma Community so we can delve in? I want to make sure your feature request isn't lost in the shuffle in this thread. :)

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Sure, we can start a new thread.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Great! I'll be on the lookout for it.
Photo of Cummins Mellor

Cummins Mellor

• 71 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can we revert back to the old response output?.

This new way of responses being exported is a real nightmare for us. Is there anyway our account can be reverted to the old way?

We liked everything being on one sheet as it allowed us to send the stats to the appropriate consultants in a simple and easy form, this new way will be so hard for a novice to decipher.

Thank you

Anya
Photo of Flanagan Foodservice

Flanagan Foodservice

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat - the change has caused more work on my end.  If anyone has recommendations on how to simplify I would love the hear them.
Photo of LAL Computers

LAL Computers

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well, you can move worksheets from one workbook to another in Excel.  Here's an article.  Just another gosh darn thing to DO!!! http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/microsoft-office/copy-an-excel-sheet-from-one-workbook-to-another/ I hope this helps.
Photo of MMi Creative, Inc.

MMi Creative, Inc.

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Exported Results Reports.

It may be faster but not user friendly. We export the report to our customers and having them go from page to page is not going to work well. I hope that you can come up with something else. Thanks
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Official Response

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, and I'm the product owner who worked on this exports project. I want to jump in to explain  why we broke this Excel Workbook format up into multiple csv files. But first, I want to say I'm really sorry to hear this is causing problems. We had hoped this update would be an improvement for everyone across the board. I approached this project with one main problem to solve: Our exports were very, very slow, and if you were exporting a list of any size (say, over 15,000 contacts) it could take hours to complete. (One client was experiencing exports taking up to 24 hours to complete.) In some cases, the export wouldn't work at all.

This was our most reported bug in our application. Larger accounts couldn't export their data at all, at least not without the help of someone here at Emma. There are two main chunks of work done when exporting data like this. First, the data is gathered from our system. Second, that data is transformed into a presentable format for the user. As we analyzed this work, we found that while we could make our gathering of the data a bit faster, more than 80% of our speed problem lived in that second part, transforming and presenting the data as an Excel workbook.

We researched some options to see if we could make this faster, yet creating an Excel workbook with multiple sheets is a costly process when you have a lot of data in play. That's when we made the decision to switch from an Excel export to a csv format. We knew that csv files would not allow a tabbed spreadsheet, but they do allow for lots of speed. It also meant that users could pick and choose the data they wanted instead of having to download the entire detailed export (a request we received pretty regularly). In this way, we could give you the same data to choose from with options for what to receive, while speeding up the process immensely. After this change, that export that took over 24 hours can be run in just over four minutes. That came at the expense of eliminating the Excel workbook approach.

I'd love to know more about what you're doing with this exported data to understand where you're hitting a roadblock now. If we can understand the need you're trying to meet, maybe we can figure out a way to get there by a different path, whether that means tweaking this exporting code or perhaps introducing some other feature to meet that need in a different way. We do have some additional export improvements on the roadmap for the near future, and of course, we always want to hear what would be most valuable to our users. Thanks in advance for sharing your workflow!

Photo of Cummins Mellor

Cummins Mellor

• 71 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Matt,

First of all thank you for explaining clearly why the export response has been changed. We pull off our responses twice, once 24 hours after the mailing was sent and again a week after. We then sent the exported workbook to all the consultants in our office so they could start business development with the people who clicked.

The people who are receiving the response stats aren't very tech savvy so I would have to reformat the whole workbook to make more sense, now I have to re-format 13 spreadsheets in to one workbook and then re-format it to make more sense to people who need it to be simplified.Also our consultants don't want to have to go through 13 spreadsheets, so that isn't an option.

The old process used to take me approximately five mins, including waiting for the download. I have timed myself with the new export and it now takes me 8 mins just to put the spreadsheets into one let alone format it, as you can imagine this is slightly annoying!

Thank you
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for sharing this. So, do your consultants only need the clicks information? Is there a reason you're also having to send the other pages of the report as well? The file labeled "clicks.csv" should have every click included along with the link that was clicked and all member information for that person. 
Photo of Cummins Mellor

Cummins Mellor

• 71 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
No they also like to see everything so we can keep our CRM fully up to date as well, so for example; the opt-outs, each consultant goes through the opt-outs and then replicates this on our internal database. the bounces, they will ring through the bounces and correct any mistakes so that the relevant person can then receive our campaigns.

The best way for us was everything on one sheet as they really need to see each sheet.

Also just sending the clicks sheet doesn't help them or us as I would have to go through and change what each link relates to as they wouldn't know.

Photo of Jacobson Consulting Applications

Jacobson Consulting Applications

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This is exactly what we do, as well. And, as we often send several customized emails each time, this process is duplicated many times over.

Life Cycle Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I'm extremely displeased by this update for the same reasons mentioned above. Marginally helpful to know the "why" but I was happy to wait for my export report and work on other things to only have to spend a few minutes tweaking it for distribution. Now I am having to manually copy/paste info into new tabs on the overview for distribution and this is going to take me an hour versus five minutes for all 40+ sheets. >:-\
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear you're displeased. Do you mind sharing what in the exported overview file doesn't work for you? It sounds like you're creating your own custom overview, so I'd like to hear what existed in the previous export process that's no longer in the new overview file.

I'd also like to know more about the 40+ sheets -- Is this because you're exporting multiple mailings? I just walked through the export process myself, selecting these options:

and ending up with these files:

Do you mind pointing out to me where our processes differ? Thank you!
Photo of MMi Creative, Inc.

MMi Creative, Inc.

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thank you Matt for more information.  Unfortunately, I am struggling with how to put this together.  Would it be easier to work with the few that have large reports than to change the whole system that has created problems for it seems the majority of others.  Thanks you
Photo of Cummins Mellor

Cummins Mellor

• 71 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Great idea...don't destroy what works for others!

Why not give the smaller companies the option to have the old export and give the larger companies no option other than the CSV files format?
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi MMi Creative, thanks for commenting here. I'd really love to hear how you're using this data once you export it if you're willing to share your workflow process. We want the best possible experience for all of our customers, but if we can understand the problem fully, we may be able to come to a better solution. The previous export code has a multitude of problems beyond just the speed issues (you couldn't export split tests or triggered emails, for instance), so I'd rather find a better path forward. 
Photo of James G. Elliott Co. Inc.

James G. Elliott Co. Inc.

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I want to chime in to say I also MUCH PREFER the old way.  I don't have huge mailings, wait time is not an issue for me.  However, pulling all of that info into new reports is taking time I don't have to spare. 
Photo of Lorie L

Lorie L

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's so true! I'm not saving time when I am reformatting reports!
Photo of Western Energy Institute

Western Energy Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I agree. I am very disappointed to log in and be shocked to see that my workload to disseminate our campaign responses has more than tripled. Even the export process itself from Emma has many more steps, and then to compile the data is hours of work that used to take me about 30 minutes.
Photo of Jacobson Consulting Applications

Jacobson Consulting Applications

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Is there possibly a way Emma could offer both options to keep everyone happy? The new method is very cumbersome and time-consuming. When we send, say, 12 highly customized emails in a campaign, we now have 108 separate files to open and combine into reports. I bet it takes as long for me to do that as it does for the big email senders to wait for their reports. It was so much nicer to simply download the 12 ready-made reports.
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Official Response

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the feedback here, and again, I'm sorry to hear that this new exporting method is creating some headaches for you. However, going back to the old method really isn't an option in this case. The previous exporting code had many, many bugs that were fixed with this change, and it also required a lot of system resources to do any export, often causing the Emma application to slow down for all of our customers, even for small exports.

I am continuing to research possible ways to ease the problems you're having, and I'll update here with any new details or plans as that develops. For now, I also wanted to share a few other features that are under consideration that I hope will help here. None of these features involve an Excel spreadsheet, but they are all designed to make accessing and manipulating your data easier.

• Export mailing response overview as a PDF file - In many cases, we've found that folks are exporting their response results in order to create a more visual report about their mailings. We want to provide that visual reporting for you so that you don't have to recreate it elsewhere. 
  • Multi-user support - In many of the cases above, it sounds like you're exporting data so that someone else can have the data for various purposes. We'll be rethinking how multiple users collaborate within an account soon so that those folks can access that data directly themselves with their own login. 
  • Buttons to export data on each response tab - This is a small update, but will allow you to export the data you need directly from the page where it lives.

If there are other features or additions we could make to help this process outside of bringing back an Excel workbook, I would be eager to hear them. I'll certainly continue researching that option, but so far, the findings haven't been encouraging.

Also, if your use case here is that you are exporting this data in order to manually enter it into your CRM, I'd be very interested to know what CRM you're using. I am also the product owner for all of our integrations, and it's possible that we could address this problem in an easier way than importing and exporting data.

Thank you again for your feedback on this, and I truly hope we can find some solutions that make your workflows easier while also allowing Emma to work at peak performance for all of our customers.

(Edited)

Life Cycle Institute

• 7 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
These solutions do not help me and, it seems, wouldn't help the others in a similar boat above. The PDF may be faster to compile but then we lose the functionality of sorting and removing duplicates. Very frustrating what you've done here.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated. Do you mind sharing more with me about your process after exporting?: What types of duplicates are you finding in a mailing's response?

Western Energy Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Who would want to export their data into PDF format? This is not even an "alternative option" as described by Matt.
Photo of Becky-Jo

Becky-Jo

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I agree. I have no use for a pdf format.
Photo of Bron

Bron

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I just discovered the export change myself and will join the chorus of those not happy with it. Thought I would add my two cents here as well.

We do one or two mailings per month with each mailing divided into six campaigns in Emma, one for each of our six salespeople. Several days after each mailing, I export the results of each campaign and distribute them to the appropriate salespeople via email. Until this point, it was easy for me to download the single Excel file and forward it to the salespeople, and it was easy for them to just open the single Excel file and look at the various tabs within it. We never had any issue with the time it took for the export.

I think the new method of having separate CSV files for the overview and each type of detail is cumbersome. Either it will take the salespeople longer to go through the results, or it will take me some additional time to prepare a single file for them. While it isn't a huge amount of extra time, it is still a step back for us since we never had an issue with the old method.

I understand your reasoning for the change as obviously some of your customers DID have issues with the old method, and it sounds like you won't be going back to the old method in any case. One compromise that would work for us would be to generate a SINGLE CSV file for the detailed results instead of breaking these into multiple files. You would need to add a column for type and additional columns to cover all of what is needed for each type. For us, this would actually be better than either old or new method in that the salespeople could open it in Excel and easily sort and filter it as needed. One thing the salespeople like to do is lookup the results for a specific email address (or addresses), and a single file would make it easier to do without having to check multiple tabs or files.

Multi-user support might help, but it depends how it is implemented. In our case, the only thing that other users would need to do would be to view the results of their own campaigns. The main issue is that we still want to prepare and send campaigns centrally, so we would need some way of tagging which campaigns could be viewed by which users.

Or an even easier method would be to just generate a link to a response page for each campaign. So I would go to a campaign response and generate a URL to the response for just that campaign. I would then email this to the salesperson who would just click the link to view their results on the Emma website. Since security is an issue perhaps one time passwords could be generated for each URL, and these could expire after X number of days. The idea is to let them view the results without them having to log on in a more formal way.

In any case, please continue to work on the export feature as obviously it is not ideal for a number of us now. Oh, and I like the buttons to export on each response tab idea!

Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thanks for the thoughtful reply here, Bron. The idea of one large csv file did occur to us, but it seemed like it would be very confusing to most people. Perhaps as an option amongst the others, it could work though, we'll think through it and see. 

I think the multi-user options will help you quite a bit, look for more development and information on that in the community in the coming weeks. We are also considering a feature that would let you use personalization tags for your from name and from address in an email, meaning you could store the salesperson associated with a contact on the contact record, and then send only one email that would dynamically populate the from name and address for you instead of having to send six. Sounds like we also need to ensure that it's easy to delineate each from address in the reporting as well, but that might cut down on some of your work in the future. 

Thanks again for your reply, and we'll definitely continue to explore some ways to make this easier in the future. 
Photo of Bron

Bron

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks, Matt. I look forward to seeing what you come up with regarding the multi-user options. Just to give you a bit more to work from, we keep all of our contacts in ACT and the salespeople add, change, and delete contacts from ACT on a regular basis. When we do a mailing, I export from ACT and import into Emma. We already have a field that identifies to which salesperson each record belongs. It would greatly simplify things if we could have ONE campaign with the option to dynamically set the email from address and included signature (name, phone, & email) based on this salesperson field. As you pointed out, however, it is important that we still have a way to separate out the responses for each salesperson (e.g. by "from" address). Whatever happens with the export, this functionality would save me a lot of time overall.
Photo of Atterro

Atterro

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I love the idea of a URL generator that could share a snapshot of the information with team members. I'm sharing information with a variation of over 35 sales people on a weekly basis, so instead of downloading individual ZIP files, sharing a simple, interactive link would be ideal. 
Photo of Sarah

Sarah

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I like it this new way... My clients are a bit simple, and wouldn't see the sheets, this way, they can decide what data they want to know and open the file accordingly. I treat the FOLDER with all the excel files as the "report" I think this is much better. Would LOVE to download a PDF of the charts and graphs too though!
Photo of PCS Mobile

PCS Mobile

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
These new updates and changes to the system just suddenly "pop up" without explanation or notification. Maybe I've missed them, but it would be nice to get an email that outlines upcoming changes so that I can be aware of any issues that might arise. Now, all of a sudden something changes and I have to back peddle to make sense of the changes.
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
This is a great point, and one we're already talking about. We do try to do our best to communicate new features, but in this case, this project fell into a weird space between new feature and bug fixes. This change fixed quite a few bugs within our export process, and with bug fixes, we don't necessarily do as much to alert the community of those changes until they are out. 

Since this release was about fixing bugs, we didn't do as much to communicate the changes to clients beforehand, but clearly we could have and should have done a better job there. We are always working to refine our release process to make it as easy as possible on our customers, so I will take this feedback into those conversations. Thanks for the comment here, and let us know how else we can improve. 

Western Energy Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am in the same boat as PCS Mobile. The amount of time it is going to take me to make the reports that used to already be available for me is unacceptable. 
Photo of Becky-Jo

Becky-Jo

• 16 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I totally agree with PCS Mobile. This has happened a few times in the last year; changes, even though they are small, aren't communicated.
Photo of Kendall Smith Marketing - Agency

Kendall Smith Marketing - Agency

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have to say that I am really disappointed with this change.  It makes the whole reporting process cumbersome and time consuming.  I have communicated my frustrations through the support email system as previously I could not access this for some reason.

Anyway, here is my feedback and the responses I got

I have been using myemma for many many years, from memory it was probably
back in 2004 that I started using the system for a client.

I have always been impressed with the easy to use interface, the customer
service and in particular the reporting function. Unfortunately the
reporting aspect is not as user friendly any more.  When split tests were
launched it was not possible to report on them which defeated the object,
granted now it is possible but putting everything in separate csv files
appears ridiculous to me.  I can1t log in and see your reasoning but one
of the best things about myemma was the ease with which you were able to
report on a campaign, everything in one easy to read spreadsheet and as
long as the time was put in ahead of the mailing to name links etc the
data you got out was easy to understand and navigate.  Now I am presented
with something that I have to manually put into a single spreadsheet to
share with a client.  It is a very BIG step backwards in my opinion.

Hi Jude,

Thank you for your feedback on the new export process. I have passed your
thoughts along to our Development team for review. I know this feedback
will not be taken lightly, as our Developers first look at customer
insights when new features and updates to the application are being
considered and implemented. The change made to the exports process did
improve the overall customer experience, as some accounts were unable to
export any data and if they were able to, if could take days to do so. I
imagine this isn't the end of the story for detailed exports, but rather
a move to a faster, more predictable export experience.

Thank you again, and hope you have a great day!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Jude, thank you for sharing this here. I'm so sorry to hear that you're disappointed. I think you were working with my friend Adriane in the above email chain, and I like how she put it: "I imagine this isn't the end of the story for detailed exports, but rather a move to a faster, more predictable export experience."

That's exactly how I see Emma, too: We do a significant amount of detailed work, release it to clients for use, collect impressions and continue to iterate. The story's never over. In the course of tech work, there are clients who are thrilled by these strides and others who are less-than-thrilled, and it's our duty to listen to what you share, question our processes and feel confident that the direction in which we're headed is the right one for the company. We want you to be part of that journey, and I hope we can make you proud down the road as this feature and others continue to evolve.

Western Energy Institute

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
There are two huge issues with reporting in Emma:

1. Getting the info OUT of Emma. It is an extremely cumbersome and time consuming method if you say "I want to export campaign data" and

2. Getting the (finally) exported data from Emma into a digestible and shareable format. A zip file (which was a huge hoop for me to jump through with IT to even be able to download this file type - a common restriction) with multiple cvs files just isn't helpful. It puts the work onto your users to make their data usable.

Possible Solutions for #1:
At least make the process for GETTING the exports easier. Why are there so many steps? Ex: Go to specific campaign response, view response, export, go to exports, download...then start over for every campaign. It's very cumbersome. 

From the response view and the arrow to the right that shows "view/delete/share" you could add an option for export response. Even better would be the ability to mass-select multiple campaign responses at once and export all the responses (right now the only mass-select thing you can do is delete, which is better than it used to be but still not very helpful). In addition, being able to download multiple exports at once. 

Think: if I'm exporting the campaign results for the past two months (which I do every two months), that's 44 campaigns in my account. Can you imagine the amount of work it takes to just GET these 44 exports out of Emma? I highly suggest you try it for yourself before you say, "this method is easier because it takes less time to run." 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated. We're taking steps to making exporting easier for everyone, and this first step was speeding up the process. It would be much more burdensome for your 44 exports to take several days, too. We're always evolving our products and releasing mini-updates along the way, and I regret that this update has caused anger. This is never the end of the story; it's one chapter as we keep refining how our products work.

We're talking in this conversation about being able to export many response reports at once. I've added your vote to our Product Team's management system so they understand why this capability is important to your account. Feel free to add your voice to that thread, too, but know that I hear how this hasn't resolved all your response issues and that we're working always toward a better Emma.
Photo of Systems Alliance, Inc.

Systems Alliance, Inc.

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Has this issue been corrected? Still not apparent how we can export the results from a campaign into a single spreadsheet.
Photo of The Spaghetti Shop Catering

The Spaghetti Shop Catering

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Amen. I spent some time earlier this week copying and pasting the spreadsheets together for my client.  Please offer an option to download the reports as one document! Pretty please.  With sugar on top!
Photo of Matt T.

Matt T., Official Rep

• 75 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Official Response

Hello again everyone,

Thank you for your continued feedback here, and again, I am very sorry to hear that this change has caused so many problems for you. As I stated above in my last large post, going back to the previous method is not an option for a lot of different reasons, but I am hopeful that there are ways to solve the problems you're facing in a different and better way.

When I read through these responses, what I hear is that many of you have traditionally been exporting your full response data so that you can manipulate the data in additional ways which you then provide to other members of your team.

This is the problem I really want to solve.

You shouldn't have to export a giant spreadsheet and manipulate pages of data in order to have something presentable to your colleagues. You shouldn't have to export every mailing individually (or at best, five at a time) so that you can compile those results in one place for comparison. You shouldn't have to re-enter data from Emma into another system in order to keep things up to date.

Here's what you should be able to do:

• Access useful data easily and quickly inside of Emma
  • Report on that data in a useable format
  • Share those reports with your colleagues and management in a readable and understandable format
  • Pick and choose what data you want to report on, even beyond the standard response data we show now
  • Connect this data back to your CRM or other internal systems that need this data

We already have plans in motion to address much of this. We want to provide data to you that's valuable and easy to manipulate. In reading the responses above, I see a lot of hours spent copying and pasting, formatting, re-arranging and contextualizing data. I would rather save you all of those hours and have Emma do this work for you. Here are some of the ways we're planning to address these issues:

• Improve our comparative exporting - We want to allow you to compare as many mailings as you like, with an easy way to search and sort for those mailings you need. We also want the export itself to actually be comparative so that you can see trends and changes.
  • Better types of reports, phase 1 - Right now, you can get information about one mailing at a time. We'd like to provide the ability to see things like open rates over time, click rates over time, etc. We'd like to provide this in an exportable format that gives you the data itself, or a slick looking graph or chart that's easily understood by your entire team.
  • Better types of reports, phase 2 - We're currently beefing up our database capabilities behind the scenes, and the end result of that work will allow us to provide even more interesting reporting options. How about comparing two different groups or segments to see how their open rates compare over the last six months? Or maybe you want to compare the engagement of two different demographic groups? How about comparing open rates from different locations? These are the sort of more in-depth reporting options we are aiming to provide in 2016.
  • Expanded integrations - We're continually working to improve the integrations we already have with other companies, and we'll continue to add to that list as well. Integrating into your CRM is a great way to cut down on the manual labor of updating numbers in multiple places.

I am still very interested to hear from you to understand your workflow and what you're doing with your Emma data. Your input here will definitely inform our future work as we continue to try and improve the Emma product.

If you're willing to schedule a call to talk through your workflow in more detail, please comment below and I will reach out directly. Even better, if you're close to Nashville, I'd love to come to your office and see what you're doing firsthand. The better we can understand the needs of all of our customers, the better we can serve those needs.

Thanks again for all of your input here so far.