How do I create a row of buttons (like a button bar)?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Currently, duplicating the button only creates another button below the current one. I want to create a button/link bar with multiple buttons or links? 

Photo of Allied Business Schools

Allied Business Schools

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • annoyed

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there! The button tool currently doesn't allow a row of buttons. It sounds like that could be a useful feature for you, so I'll let our developers know you're interested!

From that screenshot, it looks like you're wanting to build a navigation bar at the top of your emails. One possibility for a workaround is to take screenshots of those buttons, and place them into a multi image block. In this way, you can place four images side by side, like this: 

You can also use padding and margins to keep those images close together, or add a background color to the image block to keep it looking like a navigation bar. Another option is to either code that navigation bar yourself using an HTML block, or have our design team code it for you. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Photo of Florence-Lauderdale Public Library

Florence-Lauderdale Public Library

• 25 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi! I'm trying to figure out how to make essentially a navigation bar at the top of my emails that would link to different sections of our website. I planned to do the row of images like you suggest above, but I need more than four links across. Is there any way to have more than four image in a row? Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! Four images is the max number that can go in one row. More about this here. :)
Photo of Allied Business Schools

Allied Business Schools

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your reply! This helps a lot!
Photo of Chinook Medical Gear

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I, too, would like the option to put 2 or 3 buttons next to each other in a row similar to the Images field.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! I'd love to learn more about how you'd use a button row like this. What type of content are you linking to, and what would the buttons read?
Photo of Chinook Medical Gear

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
For instance, I have a new product I'll be promoting. I want 2 buttons, LEARN MORE and WATCH VIDEO. I try to keep my message simple and I believe that these are equally important to include in one email.
Photo of Fragrance Foundation

Fragrance Foundation

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would also like side-by-side buttons. So, for instance, I can offer "member tickets" and "non-member tickets" without using so much space. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
sure thing!  I've got you added in for this request!

It sounds like there could be a couple of options for you in the meanwhile.  You could:

A. Use columns to achieve the same thing or
B. Create the buttons and then take screen shots of them, then use the Multi-Image block and use the screenshots of the buttons as images.  

Cheers!

-G
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thanks for sharing this! I checked in with our Product Team and learned that this isn't planned for now, though we have had a few requests for it. I'm marking this as Not Planned and will update you if there's movement!
Photo of Reid Park Zoo

Reid Park Zoo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What ever happened to this? It's really an essential feature!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!  I haven't had any updates on this as of yet.  We currently have it listed as "Not Planned".  Since you've posted on this now, you'll get email updates with any posts that we add to it though, so if we do move it to "under consideration" or "planned", you'll be notified.  
Photo of Kelli G

Kelli G

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple Buttons in Horizontal Bar.

Button, singular, is great! But what if I want more than one? What if I want to add several buttons on a line, like a menu - would be nice....
Photo of Hank Miller

Hank Miller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to create a horizontal line of buttons? Right now I only see one b....

Trying to put a row of buttons with links to sections of my site, how do I do that?
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Hank -- I merged your post here so you can keep up with this feature request for added button functionality. As Paul mentions above, there isn't currently a way to add a horizontal row of buttons, in part because we see those buttons as a great way to make a clear call to action in your mailing! You might try his trick using images. Let me know if that works for you!
Photo of Care-A-Lot Pets

Care-A-Lot Pets

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please. We need a way to make multiple buttons in a single horizontal row. And I could do this with images, but you limit the horizontal images to 4, why? Please increase this limit and all is solved.
I agree, dear Emma team, we also need more than 4 images in a row. Please help soon!!!!
Photo of The CSI Group

The CSI Group

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Also wanting this to be solved. Wanted to put multiple buttons side-by-side to link to each of our core competencies. 
Photo of St Thomas More Catholic Parish

St Thomas More Catholic Parish

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Would love side by side buttons..

I would love to have the ability to place buttons next to each other on a horizontal line, this looks nicer for multiple call to action buttons in a desktop email. The top down list of buttons is great for mobile, so it would be cool if the mobile optimization takes the side by side buttons that work well for desktop email viewing and place them in a top down for mobile.

I hope this functionality can be built into an update soon.

I know I can workaround this using the "multiple images" content, however that is more cumbersome and time intensive than a built in feature.

Cheers! Keep up the good work! I enjoy reading the blog posts highlighting new features and new ideas.

J
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  I wanted to reach out and let you know that I merged your "Idea" post with this one that we already had live.  I like to keep everything in one place :)  

We currently don't have plans for it, but I'm going to add you to the list of folks requesting this and I'll keep everyone updated if we ever do wind up implementing this!  

Thanks for reaching out! 

- Grey 
Photo of Springfieldmoms.org

Springfieldmoms.org

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I used a template last month that had a row of 4 buttons. But, I can't figure out how to do that in a new email.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there, 

Most likely what you were seeing would have been a row of 4 IMAGES, wherein the images were buttons.  You can see Paul's response to this thread where he explains how that would work.  

Cheers!
Photo of Books Marketing

Books Marketing

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would also like to put a request in for the ability to have 2 or 3 buttons in one row. It seems like quite a few of us are asking for this. Any developments on creating this functionality?  
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!   

I don't have any updates on this as of right now.  Most likely, if we do see that functionality added, it will be a part of a larger overall improvement to the editor.  

Make sure to check out Paul's response above with the explanation of using the multi-image block or Columns to create the same effect for now.  

I'll go ahead and add you in to the list of folks requesting this functionality.  

Cheers!

- G
Photo of XR104 - Africa Region

XR104 - Africa Region

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When we have more than one button, it would be very helpful to place them side by side, in a row, instead of stacking them so that we don't lose the reader making them scroll down more for the rest of our email content.  Any updates on this?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!   No updates as of yet.  

If you're just looking to do 2-3 buttons, you can use the multi-column layout or the IMAGES bar workarounds described above.  

Cheers!

- G