how do you know from which group your segment is selecting audience members?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have several segments, but I can't tell from which group I created the segments.  Is there a way to tell?  I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find the associated group.
Photo of Loh

Loh

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Damian Gatta

Damian Gatta, Official Rep

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi there!

If you added criteria to your segments where you selected a specific group, you can view the criteria for a segment by clicking the arrow to the right of the segment and selecting to 'edit this segment'.  That will display the current criteria for the segment and show if you had selected any specific audience group.  If a specific group was not selected then Emma will search your entire audience.  

I hopped in your account and took a peek at some of your segments.  It does not look like a specific audience group was selected for the AK Pac Alaska segment, rather this segment was based on Contact information:

Feel free to reach out with any questions or if there anything else I can do to help!
Photo of Loh

Loh

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
really confused... where does Contact Information come from if not a group?  What I'm heading toward is that I have two duplicate groups from when I was experimenting when we opened our account.  Now I have updated contact data and need to upload it to the correct group.  I will delete the second group.  But I don't want to delete the one connected to the segments I've already created.
Photo of Damian Gatta

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi there!

Contact Information is updated on the Contact Record.  If a contact belongs to 4 different groups and you update the contact information for that contact, it will be reflected in all groups.  You can upload your updated contact information to either group since it will update the contact record for the contacts regardless of which group they are associated with.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Loh

Loh

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
So when we import groups, the records actually create a table somewhere of "Contact Information"?  And then the groups read the static Contact Information table?  And when you reimport a particular contact with an existing email address is essentially updates the Contact Information table?  So I can delete one of my duplicate groups with no harm to my Contact Information data?
Photo of Damian Gatta

• 342 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
That is correct.  When you import to a group, all contact information is stored on the contact record, not the specific group.  The group will just contain the contacts that you import into it.  If you have duplicate groups with the same contacts in them, you are good to delete one of those groups and the contact information for those contacts will remain on the contact record.