How to autofill email in a sign up form that is part of a workflow.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I am setting up a workflow that starts with 1) Lightbox form (requesting email only) 2) Triggered Email ("Thanks for signing up...if we have your birthday, we'll send a special gift...CLICK HERE to add your birthday.") That "CLICK BUTTON" is linked to a... 3) SIGN UP FORM with lots of optional information fields beyond just the birthday.   It is here, on this sign up form, that I would like the email to autofill since they just entered it in on the Lightbox. Is there a way to do this? 
Photo of 7TMCreative

7TMCreative

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there -- While it's not possible to have an email address autofill in a signup form, we can accomplish this by linking to the manage preferences form instead!

If you link your button in the second email to this tag, [% manage_url %], the form will open pre-populated with the contact's email address. The manage preferences tag will open whichever signup form is linked in the footer of that email, so you'll want to be sure to send that email with the preferred sign up form. You can select that at the point of send on the review and send page.

I tested this in my account, and it worked like a charm. Let me know if you run into any issues!
Photo of 7TMCreative

7TMCreative

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, but will you clarify how and where exactly I "link to this tag."?  

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Sure thing! It sounds like you're asking your subscribers to click on a button that links to that signup form, correct? So, on that button, you'll just use the manage preferences tag as the button URL, instead of the signup form. Like this:

If you're not using the button block and are simply linking text, you can add that tab right there in the URL bar in the link editor. :)
Photo of 7TMCreative

7TMCreative

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have another question regarding this discussion thread. The  [% manage_url %] tag worked well for the situation listed above, but now I would like to have a sign up form  [% signup_url %] tag be auto-populated with email (and preferably name as well.)  I have tried using the [% signup_url %] tag,  but it does not pre-populate.  

Another possible solution would be to simply use the [% manage_url %] tag IF I could edit the text in the form builder. However, the Emma support desk informed me that at this time it is un-editable.  

And, a related issue...when previewing a sign up form, the (apparently un-editable) text that shows up says: 
To sign up to receive our emails, fill in the following fields and hit submit. Thanks, and welcome!

But, what actually appears on the sign up form is this:

Update your contact information and email preferences using the options below. When you're done, hit submit.

In summary, I have 2 questions: 
1.  Is there any way to edit either of those text blocks in the form builder?
2. Is there a way to pre-populate fields in sign up forms?

Thanks.  

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- There is not currently a way to pre-populate fields on a sign-up form, so using the manage preferences tag instead of the sign-up tag is the best workaround currently. You're seeing that discrepancy in the preview text because you're editing the sign-up form but using the manage prefs tag, so you're seeing the manage prefs language instead of the language you see there in the preview of the sign-up form. 

We know that the ability to edit the language on the manage preferences form and/or the ability to pre-populate fields on a sign-up form would be super helpful, and it's already on our Product Team's radar. They don't have any sign-up form work on the current roadmap, but I know they're eager to make updates there. I'll be sure to add this feature request on your behalf!