How to stop the editor changing my html

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I need the editor to stop changing the HTML I've entered. There's a number of times this has happened. Comments are removed, I've even had strange things happen like padding on an inline style and sizes being changed for no reason. Can this be switched off somehow - it's making this service very hard to use. (Safari 7.0.6)
Photo of The Philanthropy Workshop

The Philanthropy Workshop

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hello!

Thank you for the feedback -- and by extension feature request. In the meantime, it's important to remember that designing HTML for email is different from designing HTML for a webpage or print mailing. While there are a number of key similarities, there are many more key differences. Emma operates with a nesting table system wherein things like body tags aren't necessary. They are already taken to account when the the code is dropped into a template. 

Is there a specific template you would like us to take a look at?
Photo of The Philanthropy Workshop

The Philanthropy Workshop

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So the answer is "no"?

There's no specific template needing looked at, there's no body tags being included, it's simple inline styles that have been applied and then removed for whatever reason.

I understand the editor is trying to be intelligent and compensate for poorly formed code, but It would be nice to not have the editor make arbitrary changes to very specific HTML, it's proven to be a very costly experience as a lot of workarounds have to be implemented in order to prevent it from happening.
Photo of Elaine Shannon

Elaine Shannon

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
+1000. This is my biggest complaint about Emma. I've coded for emails for years and tested my custom templates in Litmus and Email On Acid - all rendering fine in their tests. But once I paste anything into Emma, whether it's a custom template or code into a template, it's as if I've traveled back to the 90s and FrontPage has mangled my code. I would really, really like the option to leave my own HTML intact - whether it's toggling an option in a template, or copying and pasting the entire email directly into Emma with no template at all, it would save me hours of frustration every week.
Photo of Elaine Shannon

Elaine Shannon

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Side note, if I were to paste the full HTML straight into Emma with no template, I'd also have to have an option to have no footer. We send some with opt-out footers, but anything completely internal has to go out with no option to opt out, which works fine with the templates Emma built for us.
Photo of Kelli Liszka

Kelli Liszka, Official Rep

• 31 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Elaine, 
Thanks for your feedback; I understand the frustration here. I am on the Product team, and we are currently working on a new version of "Code Your Own" that will give users the freedom to, well, code their own emails without interference from Emma. We are just about to enter a beta period for the new version.

At this time, it will be available for Pro level accounts (not tiered, like your account... yet), and initially it will only be for Code Your Own mailings in the Editor. We have some additional work to do to get it working in Template Builder and Campaign Builder, but that's certainly on our list. I know this isn't the best news for you, but I hope that it helps you to know that we are well on our way to a better experience! 

When the new experience is ready to go at the Template/Campaign Builder level, I hope that you would be interested in helping us test it out. In the meantime, please let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Cheers,
Kelli 
Photo of Elaine Shannon

Elaine Shannon

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Absolutely, I'd love to test once it's available on tiered accounts. Thanks for your response and the encouragement that you're working on a solution. :)