How do I delete an import?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

The import screen shows a list of previous imports.  There used to be a delete option, but I don't see it now.  How do I delete old imports?
Photo of Bill K

Bill K

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Bill! There isn’t a way to delete old imports. You’re right that that option previously existed, but we recently removed it; our Delivery Team looks to those records when they’re working on compliance cases.

When you could delete an import, you were only ever deleting a record of the import, not the import itself, similar to clearing your browser’s history.

I hope this helps!
Photo of WPFW 89.3 fm

WPFW 89.3 fm

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is creating an issue for me. I need the list deleted. If it only ever meant it cleared from our history not yours then there was actually no reason to removethe delete option for the users.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear this is creating an issue! Will you help me understand why you need the import record deleted?

I can clarify about what happened before: When you deleted an import, you were deleting it from being viewed on your Imports page. You weren't deleting the people or data you had just imported. Deleting that record on your end deleted the record for us, too. Since our compliance analysts need those records for their work keeping Emma safe, we made import records unable to be delete.
Photo of Bill K

Bill K

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I delete an import?.

When I go to the import screen, there is a list of old imports.  There used to be a delete option, but I don't see it any more.  How do I delete old imports?
Photo of Chinook Medical Gear

Chinook Medical Gear

• 36 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I uploaded the wrong list. Turns out the only way to remove these customerS is to delete them form EVERY group, not just the one I erroneously uploaded them into. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING. Please make it so we can delete an upload only from the group(s) they were uploaded into.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Let me make sure I understand. The list you added already existed in some groups in your account, but you accidentally added it to an additional group that it doesn't belong in? If so, I'm guessing there are other contacts in that group (let's call it Group A) that you don't want to lose. 

There is no way to just "undo" the import, but you won't have to delete those contacts from all groups, either! Using our segmenting tool, you should be able to get a new group that includes only the people that were originally in the group that you didn't intend to add your new list into.

Here's what I would try...

First, import that list again to a new group (B), so that they are the only contacts in that group. Then, create a segment that searches for people who are in the original group (A) but not in the new group you just created (B). This should give you everyone that was in the group before you added your list the first time. Then you can just copy that segment to a new group (C) and use it instead of the original group (B). You can even delete groups A and B without deleting any contacts from your audience. Whenever you delete a group, you have the option to just delete the group or to delete the contacts from all groups and your audience.

Let me know if I can clarify any of this for you or if you need assitance walking through it!