How do I edit a template created through Save as Template?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Since I have your attention, this certainly leads into an interesting caveat.

After you Save As Template, I noticed it no longer inherits from the Master it was created from, yet I see nowhere to modify the code if I needed to make a bug fix. It doesn't show under the Assets folder as a new template. Thoughts?
Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Internal Server Error again topic.
Photo of Marc Russell

Marc Russell

• 64 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there, Marc!

There's not a way to edit the code behind a template you've created using the "save as template" process. Those "save as templates" are coded differently than the templates our design team codes or those you create within Template Builder, so you're absolutely correct that the code for those don't appear in Template Builder. If you make some modifications to the original template HTML in Template Builder, you'd want to do a new "save as template" to get a new template saved with those modifications reflected.

On a side note, I know Marc's using Template Builder within his account, but if another customer stumbles across this thread who doesn't use that tool, the answer is still the same. There's not a way to edit the code for a template created using the "save as template" feature. If modifications need to be made to a "save as template," you'll always want to just save a new template. Remember, you can always delete the old template from your template list by following these steps.

Please let me know if I can provide any further clarification here. Always happy to help!
Photo of Marc Russell

Marc Russell

• 64 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
So currently our best way to save multiple drag-and-drop layouts is by saving separate campaigns?

I'd like to make a suggestion for that to work in a way that Save As Template, works from a parent/child relationship. So if I edit the "master", the changes bubble up to the children.

I know our clients easily get to 100+ campaigns and to remember which layout was what and when they used it doesn't seem like an organized system.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Marc! Popping in here to let you know that I’m running this idea up the flagpole. I’ll keep you posted with what I learn. :)
Photo of Master of Environmental Studies

Master of Environmental Studies

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Did this ever become a feature?  I have templates that I often need to change, and it is confusing to create a different one because then I have to create an entire new name, when the original name is the best name for the template.  thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! This hasn't become a feature; I'll be sure to update this thread if it's implemented.
Photo of Marc Russell

Marc Russell

• 64 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
How can we delete the templates that were created using Save As Template. Just need to get rid of my tests to clean up.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You can delete a template by following the steps here.
Photo of Marc Russell

Marc Russell

• 64 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Lol, it was in her first reply too. One of those days. Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Marc! I chatted with our Editor Team’s product owner to learn more about how this currently works. Right now, each "save as template" generates a new template ID behind the scenes here, meaning it’s no longer associated with the original or parent template. So there’s no connection made that says, "Oh look, a change was made to the parent template; we need to update all templates created from the parent."

It makes sense that you’d want an update at the parent level to take effect for all of your templates you’ve saved versions of. For example, if you used the Save as Template button in 2012, that was before our readymade template gallery was mobile-optimized. Our mobile-optimizing those templates in 2013 didn’t also mobile-optimize any "save as templates" created from the original. You’d want it to, though, right? If there was a way to automatically update based on the parent template, you’d always have the most up-to-date version of template code.

Of course, that opens the door for some users who might say they didn’t want their child templates to be updated or who saved a template because that was exactly how they wanted their template to be preserved.

It would help to learn more about your and other Emma users' habits and expectations here. Would you mind walking me through your workflow? I’d also love to get others’ impressions about this idea, too, so I’ll be circulating it to get more feedback before we make a call about how we’ll move forward.

Thanks for this, Marc!
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
As a reformed code junkie turned marketer, I generally prefer to have access to what is behind the scenes and be able to tweak that code whenever I can. Of course, one of the things that makes Emma so easy to use is that much of that stuff is hidden from the user, so there is little for them to screw up. 

(I'm a Libra ... can't help it, sometimes it's a curse to see both sides.)

Okay, so having said that, I could get really excited if there is an option for the child templates to inherit updates when the parent template theme is updated. There is just something intuitive about that -- it is probably what most people would expect.

Let me say I'm also a big fan of the new responsive templates. A huge amount of traffic to our site comes from smartphone users, so I can't see any reason to go back to email built with rigid layouts after starting to use responsive templates.

So forgive my ramblings, but allow me to sound more like a client than a production guy for a moment. I think the reasons to allow the child templates to update when the parent theme is updated in the future -- I think the reasons to do that far outweigh the reasons to cling to old, outdated template versions.

Just me 2-centavos worth ... your mileage may vary.
Ted
Photo of Liz Stephenson

Liz Stephenson

• 35 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
We would like the option for children to inherit changes in code made to their parents. We have multiple sub accounts and going in to touch 15 templates each time there is a change is time consuming.

Of course, in my Land of Unicorns and Rainbows, a user would have the ability to decide if the changes went from parent to child or not. (And yes, I can hear the Emma developers groaning.) :)

Thanks
-Liz Stephenson (YMCA of the Triangle)
Photo of Marc Russell

Marc Russell

• 64 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
We are currently maintaining 24 sub accounts that send out at least probably 1-5+ emails a week, as they are each different business units within the parent company. Creating and then re-creating templates each time I needed something fixed on a "master" would be an extremely unproductive time commitment.

The Save As Template option currently DOES have its place in workflow, just not ours, especially on the agency level. I would recommend leaving that option but creating a new one, such as "Save As Sub-Template".

I can then assume that the 8 "Masters" I have created today to support our business units can format within their respective drag and drop editors the styling and formats of their separate emails. Save them as sub-templates to be re-used again for a campaign and then allow me to update only the 8 if there are compliance standards, typos, bugs, etc. That would then update accordingly to all children.

Some other items today that I flagged that would love to see as well:

- Copying campaigns from one account to another, while maintaining D&D formatting.

- Default styling on D&D controls. So our users don't have to change the Divider style to 1px each time. ( I know Save As Template would fix that, but the reason this thread exists is because that is not a solution for us. )

Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey Marc! Would you mind emailing me (katie[at]myemma[dot]com) with your account username or account ID? We do have a campaign sharing tool for agencies, and I can flip it on for your account.
Photo of Carlos

Carlos

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why would child templates or Templates Save from another template NOT inherit changes from the parent.  Something like a header or Footer change would make sense to move across ALL templates.  Even the ones created as a 'sub' template or saved from the 'Master' template.

I can't seem to find in our Assets area the templates we made FROM another template. Why would they not show up in that area?  

We also have some campaigns that we have created same day, but when I went to make changes to the template, the changes did not take affect on the already created campaigns that our editors were working on.  
Now they much recreate the campaigns for the new changes to take affect?  
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Carlos! I thought you and I had talked about this in a separate conversation in Emma Community, but I'm not finding it now. My apologies for the delay here!

It might help to think of Save as Template like the Save As option in Microsoft Word, just using a reference we're all familiar with. When you are working in Document A and select Save As, creating a new file called Document B, any further changes you make to Document A down the road have not bearing on Document B -- They're totally separate files. That's how Save as Template works, too: You're spinning off a brand-new, no-longer-related template.

You're also creating a template at the sub-account level doing this, so it doesn't bubble up to your Assets, as it isn't generated there.

I hope this helps!