How do I edit my email's source code?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

Thanks Brittany -- now how do I change the source code of my email? It looks like there may be some workarounds, but they require accessing the html version of the entire email. I only see a way to edit the code for different sections.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the I am using an Emma email template and there's strange spacing above a photo that ... topic.
Photo of Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! If you're looking for the page source code, you can open the mailing's online version in your browser. Go to your Response page, click on the mailing and click the blue online version link in the lefthand column.

Any changes you make to that code won't affect the mailing, however. Is there something specific you're looking to do by having that code?
Photo of Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

Oregon Entrepreneurs Network

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie -- yes, I wanted to play around with some of the workarounds to the Outlook spacing issue, which Brittany forwarded along to me:
http://www.emailonacid.com/blog/detai...

I can't do that though without changing the source code for the entire email.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It sounds as though you're pretty comfortable with HTML. Instead of accessing the source code, since you won't be able to make changes there, I suggest creating your mailing using our Freestyle HTML template. You could add code to your mailing in that way. Do you think that would work for you?
Photo of InDygital

InDygital

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Katie / Oregon Entrepreneurs Network...

One thing I do know is that Google Chrome will allow you to view the 'iframe source' or 'frame source' when you right click in the area that you are building the email on Emma.

First you need to "Preview" the email using the preview options Emma offers. Following that you can right click to view the frame source. I've noticed this eliminates any code that is not a part of the email itself and makes for looking behind the scenes a bit easier.

This is for Katie:
Next, as to rewriting the email in the Freestyle HMTL template... can we users (or is it against the rules) copy the frame source from the template that Emma has offered and paste it into the "Free Style" editor, thus allowing full control over the HTML but still using the template you like?

See screen shot of iframe source option i took:
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It isn't against the rules -- the HTML and CSS template framework of a template can certainly be copied -- but the Freestyle HTML content block that allows for users to paste in code already exists itself in a template framework, so pasting in another
template's code wouldn't work. It would be like trying to code a template inside a template.

Our designers, likely in the new year, are going to put together some best practices for coding using the Freestyle HTML template to lend a hand.