How do I merge audience groups to create one large group?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I want to create an "all contacts" group from multiple smaller groups, how do I do that? Thank you.
Photo of quasar energy group

quasar energy group

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there! You actually already have a way to view all of your contacts: Click the View all members button on your Audience page to see all contacts across all audience groups.

To copy those members into a new group holding them all, follow the steps here, starting with step #2. Or, if you want to merge members from just a handful but not all groups, you'll start with step #1 on that page.
Photo of quasar energy group

quasar energy group

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you. That was perfect. You're the best!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It's my pleasure!
Photo of Social-Impact International

Social-Impact International

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
how do i combine email lists that are already in the system.

How do I combine email lists that are in the system into one and get rid of dups, opt outs and bounces?
Photo of EMDR Iberoamerica

EMDR Iberoamerica

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have several lists from one country that need to be merged, NOT the whole group. How do I merge 2-3 lists, some of which will have duplicates? I can't do this one by one...
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It sounds as though you want to combine Group A and Group B into a new group, Group C. Is that right? If so, you can copy all the members of each group into a brand-new group (or a group that’s already in use) by using the copy them button. Alyssa has a bit more about that here. :) Hope this helps!
Photo of Author Emilie Richards

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Sadly the page that's mentioned above as having the answers on how to merge two audience groups no longer exists. I want to merge one group into another to make one group without renaming it, which would be simpler but might redirect mailing list signups. Can you help? 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Emilie -- Yes, you'll find the updated documentation for copying groups here. You easily select all contacts in a group and copy them into an existing or a new group following those steps. If needed, you can update your signup forms to feed into that new group as well!

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Very helpful. Just a thought. If you put "resource center," where this answer can be found, under the help question mark instead of sending us to community to search for answers, we'd get answers and you wouldn't have to respond. I do see that now resource center is listed in the right hand menu on the first community page, but honestly, it's nearly invisible. I had to look and look to see if you had it listed anywhere. I'd have gone there immediately. Make it an option under help and I bet most people will go there first. But they probably won't find it in the right hand menu because they're too busy typing their question into search. 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Emilie, you bring up a great point! This is something we've been working toward and hope to implement very soon. We realize the community isn't everyone's cup of tea and serves a different purpose for most customers than the Resource Center. 

Surfacing our help documentation in the application requires development resources, but you can rest assured that making our help documentation easier to find is at the top of our priority list. We do our best to point folks to those help resources from the community whenever possible, to create an archive of conversations that are connected to the help articles. 

Thanks, as always, for the suggestion!

Author Emilie Richards

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Terrific. And again thanks for your help.
Photo of Compass Records

Compass Records

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do I merge groups if I don't want to permanently merge the groups into a new list?  Meaning, for some purposes, i want to mail to a group made up of other groups, but sometimes I need them to remain separate?  Is this possible?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey Compass!  The best way to do that is to follow the same instructions (HERE), but in your case you are simply creating a NEW group wherein you've copied these other into a new "Merged" group.  Your other groups remain on your account unless you specifically delete them.  

Let me know if you have any more questions!
(Edited)
Photo of Compass Records

Compass Records

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I still have more questions.  I don't want to create an additional group because the pre-existing groups are regularly updated and added to.  But they need to remain segmented for other purposes.  However, when it's time to send our newsletter, I want to group them all together to send them our overall mailing list.  Right now, I have to go through and choose all 32 groups.  Isn't there a way to automate this, so it will pull together those groups, with their new updated info, and send them a mailing without duplicating them and creating a new group?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yes, you can use Segmentation to create a segmented group that will dynamically update.  You'd simply need to set up the segment to pull in everyone from those groups.  The important thing to remember, though, is that you want to use the "Match Any" logic, not the "Match All" logic when adding in your groups.  After you build it, any time you add any folks to any of those groups, they'll get added into the segment, and you can use that segment for sending to the whole log.  

You can find info on how to build segments HERE