How do I opt someone back in?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: info outdated

How do I change an audience member's status from Opt-Out to Active?
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Tyler! There are a few ways people who've opted out can be added back:

1. They can email support[at]myemma[dot]com a direct request (from the opted-out address) to be opted in.
  2. You can forward to support[at]myemma[dot]com a request from them (from the opted-out address).
  3. They can go through an Emma signup form of yours and click the opt-in confirmation link in the email they receive.
  4. They can click to manage their preferences from a previous email from you in their inbox.

I hope that helps!
(Edited)
Photo of WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY

WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, Katie. If my company (Willamette University) is going to have this customer email you directly to request to be opted back into our communication, I have two questions: 

1: What email address should they send their request to? 
2: How do they identify us as the company they would like to resume receiving communication from? Should they just mention Willamette University? 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Great questions! You can have your customer email support@myemma.com, and they can identify you either by your account name (Willamette University) or your username.
Photo of Ideal Shield

Ideal Shield

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
IS THERE A WAY TO SEND AN EBLAST TO THE OPTED OUT GROUP UNDER MY CONTACTS SO THEY CAN OPT BACK IN? MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID THEY NEVER OPTED OUT AND WANT TO RECEIVE THE EMAILS.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! Once someone has opted out, you can no longer send to them from your Emma account.

You can, though, email them outside of Emma and include a link to your signup form. When they enter their information through your signup form, that will opt them back into your account so you can again send to them. :)
Photo of Nevada Rural Housing Authority

Nevada Rural Housing Authority

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I also have someone that wants opted back in. They said they never opted out. If they email you to request to be opted back in, who do they email?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! If you'd like for them to email a request to opt in, that can be sent to support@myemma.com.
Photo of ROCHESTERfamilies.com

ROCHESTERfamilies.com

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had several people, including myself (the newsletter editor), who have been opted out, but never requested to be opted out. This is actually the second time I've been opted out. Is there something to ensure myself and others don't continue to get opted out.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Yes! You were likely opted out if you forwarded a campaign; I'm guessing you forwarded a campaign using your email program's Forward button instead of the Share This feature within the template.

When you forward using your email program, recipients are able to click the opt-out link in the email you forwarded and actually opt you out. This doesn't happen if you forward using the Share This feature.

You can opt back in using one of the methods up above, but this is probably what's happening to opt you out by surprise.

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just had one of our people contact you and said I could go opt her back in. However it still isn't letting me do it. What next?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You aren't able to opt someone in from within your account. Only the four methods listed in the official response at the top of this thread will get someone opted back in. How is she trying to opt in?

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They emailed in to support@myemma.com.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Will you please let me know the email address from which she emailed? I'm glad to find her request.

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hcreveling@summitfunding.net
Her name is Heather Creveling
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thank you! I found her email request and have opted her back in.
Photo of CoreNet Chicago

CoreNet Chicago

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Opt out status change request.

Hi - I'm an agency partner, and I have a user who is asking to receive emails, but it seems they have opted out in the past. Is there ANY way to change that opt out status? Can that person manually resubscribe to change their status?
Photo of Greenwood Community Church

Greenwood Community Church

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of PCS Mobile

PCS Mobile

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What email address do I use to send EMMA the email so the person can get Opted back into the system?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You can forward the email to support@myemma.com. :)
Photo of Internews Network

Internews Network

• 59 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie - where do I find my organization's Emma signup form so I can send to people who have opted out but then sign up for our email list at a later time?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! Go to your Audience page, and scroll down to the section labeled Your signup forms. Click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of your form, and select Add this to your site. Copy the URL in the Link to it field — This is what you’ll want to send to those who have opted out.
Photo of Partners in Diversity

Partners in Diversity

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What information does the person who was opted out need to include in their email to support@myemma.com in order to get opted back in?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
They’ll need to send their email from the address that’s actually opted out and let us know the name of your account as we have it on our sides. The best way to find this is by checking out a past invoice to see how your account is named.
Photo of WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY

WILLAMETTE UNIVERSITY

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Customer wants to opt back in.

A customer who previously opted out has asked us to opt them back in because he can't figure out how to do it. I wanted to respond in kind by saying "I have no clue either," but clearly that wasn't what they wanted to hear, nor would my supervisor approve. Is there a process we can manage as a sender, or is there a process you can outline for the subscriber? 
Photo of Austin Preparatory School

Austin Preparatory School

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
how to reinstate an email address.

One of our constituents opted-out an email address that they wish to continue using.  Is there a way to reinstate this email address?
Photo of Christine Meeker Pictures

Christine Meeker Pictures

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How can customers RE-OPTIN to a list?.

Can I set up a safe way for customers that have been removed from my list (either by me or themselves) to re-optin again? I've read posts explaining they they can email Emma but that sounds like a hassle. Isn't there a way they can just add their name back in themselves by just adding their name again from our web site form?
Photo of Challenged Youth Sports Inc.

Challenged Youth Sports Inc.

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a contact who has opted back in several times after opting out but they keep getting pushed out, somehow. I cannot change the contact status but their confirmed status says: This contact confirmed opt-in. Is there any way I can just change the status myself?
Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi there,

You won't be able to change the status on your end from the account. The only way to change a contact's status from opt-out back to active are those that Katie mentioned above in this thread:
  1. They can email support[at]myemma[dot]com a direct request (from the opted-out address) to be opted in.
  2. You can forward to support[at]myemma[dot]com a request from them (from the opted-out address).
  3. They can go through an Emma signup form of yours and click the opt-in confirmation link in the email they receive.
  4. They can click to manage their preferences from a previous email from you in their inbox.
"This contact confirmed opt-in" is actually a reference to the fact that the contact clicked to confirm their opt in status when they previously used one of your signup forms. More on that here.

If a contact is being opted out, and they're certain they're not clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of your emails, you may want to check with them to see if they're forwarding the emails from their inbox. If a recipient forwards one of your Emma emails from their inbox, and the person the email was forwarded to actually clicks that unsubscribe link, then it will opt-out the original recipient that you sent the email to from Emma. The best way to avoid that scenario would be to encourage that recipient (and your other recipients) to use the Share feature rather than forwarding the email from their inbox.

Thanks so much, and I hope this info helps!
Photo of Claire Lucas and Judy Dlugacz

Claire Lucas and Judy Dlugacz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
If a contact is marked as opt-out will they get opt-ed back in if they are in a subsequent list that gets imported or will they stay opted out?
Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi Claire and Judy,

The contact will stay opted out in that scenario. In fact, you can completely delete an opted-out contact from your account, and if they get re-imported they would still come back in as an opt out contact. The only ways someone can be returned to your active members would be for them to use one of your Emma signup forms, or to have them contact with a written request to be added back to your mailing list (in that case, we'd need to receive that reply directly to support@myemma.com and we'd have to manually change their status on the backend).

Thanks!