How do I create a segment of people who didn't open a particular email?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL Clean up

I want to create a list of people who didn't open a particular mailing. How do I find those people?
Photo of FAQ

FAQ

• 44 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
If you are simply wanting to resend your mailing to the folks who didn't open the first time, you're looking to create an "Exclusion List".  Check out the instructions on how to do that HERE.  

However, if you are wanting to create those folks as a Segment, there is a way! Here are the steps.

1. Go to your Response page, open the mailing and click on the opens tab and click to "save as a segment." Save those opens as a segment.
  2. That will jump you to your Audience page inside of that segment. At the top of the list of names, choose to take "all members" of the segment and copy them to a new group -- call it something like "Mailing ABC - Opens."
  3. Now, click on the Segments tab in the Audience section of your account, then click "Create A New Segment". Build a segment that finds people that Received the mailing, but are not in the "Mailing ABC - Opens" group.
That will give you a list of the folks who didn't open the email in a trackable way.
(Edited)
Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Where exactly is the 'advanced search' selection on my Audience page?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Linda! You’ll click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of the search bar at the top-right of Audience:

Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still am unable to find non-openers from a specific campaign.  The problem seems to be the "all members" option.  I want to see only those who didn't open from only the last campaign.  Thanks for your replies.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I’m sorry to hear it, Linda! Have you followed step 1 on your Response page before you go to your Audience page?
Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
From my Response page I click on the specific Completed Campaign I am interested in. Click on the "opens" tab, save the tab as a search (it saves it as the Campaign name +'opens').  From the Audience page, under the 'search' tab I choose that newly created group and rename it.  Under the 'advanced search' tab I choose people who 'have not' 'opened' and choose dates around the dates of my last Campaign.  I save the search, and an Audience page appears with 10 names, none of whom were a part of the specific audience for this last campaign.  What am I missing?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
You won’t want to select dates around your last mailing. Instead, you want to create a new search to find the members in the group you sent that specific mailing to (so you’ll select that group in the search) and not in the group you just created (of the members who opened the mailing).
Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Taking the 'saved search' from recent Campaign which Emma named "___ opens", I click on the advanced search.  Choosing "response history" and people who "have not opened at any time" gives me a list that includes audience members from several years ago who were not a member of the specific audience from the is most recent Campaign.  I've done this several times, each with the same result:  a list of 133 names which does not correlate with the recent Campaign which had only 82 recipients.
Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Finally figured out how to do it!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Glad to hear it, Linda!
Photo of Category5

Category5

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem as Linda and I have not figured it out. I have taken the steps you have provided a few times but I am still getting the same results Linda was getting.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I’m glad to take a look! At which step are you hitting a snag?
Photo of Category5

Category5

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I follow the steps,
1. Go to Response page and click "Opens"
When I did this it gave me a list of 412 contacts
2. That will jump you out of your audience page inside of that search. Choose to take "All contacts" of the search and copy them to a new group.
When I did this only 10 contacts showed up, when I tried to copy them to a new group nothing shows up in that new group. 
Photo of Category5

Category5

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I continued on to step 3, clicking on "advanced segment", then based on "audience groups", then I searched for contacts NOT in the group I named "opens" and when I click "done" it takes me back to the "based on" box that came up before searching for specific contacts. 
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Is the name of the segment "'Category5 newsletter - 2' opens 05/23/2014"? I think it may have simply taken some time for the numbers to update as all those contacts were copied over — I’m seeing 400 Actives and 12 Opt-Outs in that segment when I look at your Segments tab now.
Photo of Environmental Education

Environmental Education

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Re-send campaigns to those that did not open it?.

We had a 15% open rate on a recent campaign. Other email services allow you to re-send the email to those that did not open it. I don't see this option with EMMA. Thanks!
Photo of NASBA

NASBA

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I send a reminder email to only those who did not open the original email?.

We are sending a Survey Monkey through emma. We will want to send a reminder email two weeks later to see if we can get more responses. But we do not want to send the email to those who have already completed the email (don't want to overload their inboxes). Is there way to sort those from the group list?
Photo of Linda Horning

Linda Horning

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
find non-openers from a specific campaign.

I'd like to find the people who did not open the emails from a specific campaign.  I was able to create a search for non-openers, but it was from my entire audience, not my most recent campaign.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi everyone,
I wanted to do the same thing in order to just see who on my list did not open the e-mail I sent because I know most of them and want to follow up and see if they still want to receive mailings, or maybe the e-mail went to their spam filter. I found the directions above a bit confusing, but worked out how to do it on my own. I'm a detail person, so the instructions below are thorough. For anyone wanting to create a list of unopens, here is how I did it, step by step:

1.      In Audience, under the Groups tab, in the upper right corner click on the arrow next to the magnifying glass next to the search bar.

2.      The words Advanced Segment will pop up. Click on it. You will get a pop-up window.

3.      Choose Based on: Audience Groups. Click Add.

4.      Choose “in” and in the “select a group” drop-down choose the total group you want to eventually see just who didn’t open the e-mail. So if you sent the e-mail to a specific group, choose that group.

5.      Click Add.

6.      Click Done.

7.      Under the new section in the pop-up “Save this segment as,” give the segment a name such as the date, or newsletter name, and then the words Not Opened (or something like that so you know these are the people who didn't open it).

8.      Click Save.

9.      It will take you back to a web page with the new list and contacts showing. On the right, click on Edit this segment. Your previous filter will now show, and a new filter called Find People will now be available.

10.   In Find People, choose Based on: Response History.

11.   Click Add.

12.   In Search for people who, choose “have not” and under the drop-down “select response” choose “opened.”

13.   Then choose either At any point, or choose a date range.

14.   Click Add.

15.   Click Done.

16.   Under Save this segment as, it will say the name you previously gave the list. You don’t need to change this name. Just click Save.

17.   That’s it! Now you have a new segment list of people from your most recent mailing who did not open the e-mail. You will find it in your Segments tab.

(Edited)
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
One more suggestion. Bear with me... it seems long and complicated but it's really easy, and once you create it the first time, you can see unopens in a minute or two every time, and even create a new Emma Group from the report!

If you want to create a new Emma list of unopens for a specific Emma campaign, here's how I did it:

1. In Salesforce, go into the Reports tab. Click on the Emma Emails folder. Choose the report called Contacts with Emma Email Actions. This shows who didn't open. Click Customize when you're inside the report.

2. First add the column called Date Opened. This is how you will filter the list. I tried to filter it for # of Opens but for some reason that filter did not give me the results I wanted no matter how I tried to set the filter so I added this column, which worked.

3. Add a filter with these choices in the respective fields: Date Opened, equals, (leave blank)

4. Now, click Save As. Save this new report with a name such as "Did Not Open." You will always use this report as a base to create the specific report for unopens each time. But you will still have the original report to see also who did open if you need it. You will open this new report each time you want to create a new Emma Group containing only those who did not open the campaign.

5. Since this report shows all campaigns, you will also want to filter for the campaign. To do this, the filter choices in the respective fields should be: Email Subject, includes, (type all or part of the name of your email subject here).

6. Click Save As and save this report with a new name. I recommend saving a new report for each e-mail subject (each Emma campaign) and use that as part of the new report name. This way you can keep refreshing the Emma Group you will create in Salesforce with the correct report. If you change the report (filtering for a new campaign) for each campaign but keep the name the same, then the Emma Groups that you create from the report will not be able to refresh correctly since you changed the information in the report (hope that makes sense!).

7. Now that you've saved the report, you can create a new Emma Group in Salesforce from that report as usual.

I personally think this is quicker than what Katie has recommended, but of course it won't work if you are not using Salesforce. If you do use Salesforce, you can open the Did Not Open report, filter by your campaign, and voila, in just a few seconds you can see who didn't open, and in just a few minutes you can even create a new Emma Group if you want to send these people a follow-up e-mail!

There are a few other posts, and an Idea post also, on this subject. I hope people looking for a solution will find this answer if they go to another post on the subject.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for this, Shari! Here's the Idea conversation you're referring to, where you shared your use case. I'm so glad that you did.