I don't see mailing results in Salesforce

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi. I have Salesforce Enterprise edition for nonprofits. I thought I synced Emma and Salesforce, but just sent out a mailing and none of the information is syncing over to Salesforce. None of the opt-outs or bounces are showing up, and in the Emma Mailings and other tabs, that mailing is not showing up.

Another question I have is that if I create a group in Emma (I actually copied a group then deleted a bunch of people and gave it a new name), I want to also see that group in Salesforce in the Emma Groups tab. However, it's not showing up, I guess since I created it in Emma. Is there a way for it to show up in Salesforce? I had to do it this way because unfortunately I couldn't create the kind of report I needed in Salesforce to get the correct people.

I have granted you a week login in anticipation of you wanting it. The Salesforce ID is 00Do0000000YAYn.

Thanks!
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there! Thanks for granting us access in advance. That will save some time for sure! We will dig into this and get back to you here soon. Thanks :)
Photo of Core Creative

Core Creative

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am also not seeing my mailings in Salesforce. I just did my first mailing from MyEmma with the synch function - maybe I'm just not doing something right?
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,
I went through the setup again and it did sync my Groups (I had created one new group in Emma). However, it's still not syncing the mailing I sent on Sunday. Thanks for checking on the problem.
Photo of Katie Watts

Katie Watts, Support Team Manager

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Hi there, Shari.

You rock for granting that login access upon posting your question! I set up a test within your Salesforce account to attempt to replicate the trouble with the response data not showing up for the sent campaign on the Emma Mailings tab. Everything worked as it should in my test. If you take a peek at the Emma Mailings tab in your Salesforce account now, you'll see that there's a mailing named "Emma TEST mailing" reflected there now.

Do you remember when it was that you originally ran through the bootstrapping process on the Emma Setup tab? The integration only pulls in response data for mailings sent from that point going forward, not mailings sent prior to that setup process. Since everything seems to be syncing over correctly now, I want to be sure to rule out that the mailing sent 9/28 wasn't prior to that initial Emma Setup process being completed.

On the group syncing question, you took the perfect step! If you create the group within Emma directly and want to get it synced over to your Salesforce account, you'll want to run through the Emma Setup process again and include that particular group in the ones to be synced. Of course, any groups you create within Salesforce will automatically be synced, so no need to run through the Emma Setup process again when you create new groups that way.

I'll watch for an update on this thread answering my Emma Setup timing question. If that's not the issue in play here, I'm certainly happy to continue digging in on the trouble!

Thanks a ton,
Katie
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good afternoon, Core Creative!

I'm happy to take a peek at the setup between Emma and your Salesforce account. To allow me to do that, please grant login access to Emma Support. If you need a little guidance on doing that, please check out the "How do I grant Emma Support access to my Salesforce org for specific troubleshooting purposes, if needed?" question towards the bottom of our Emma for Salesforce FAQs page.

Once you've granted that login access, please post an update here, and I'll dig right in!

Thank you,
Katie
Photo of Core Creative

Core Creative

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK - I have allowed access. Let me know next steps. Thank you!
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Thanks for granting that login access. I apologize for the trouble you've run in to with the Emma for Salesforce integration! I can definitely see that the response data isn't correctly syncing over, and we’re super duper close to a resolution. A common core to almost all of the trouble that your account is experiencing is a limitation in Salesforce Professional edition’s ability to process large amounts of data (required by the integration for even relatively simple updates) in small increments. For users of Salesforce Enterprise edition and above, we’re able to take advantage of webhooks, which allow for very fast connectivity without a very large data syncing footprint. Effectively, we tell Salesforce which record needs changing, and the integration changes it.

Because this functionality isn’t available for Professional edition, we have to rely on “polling,” which basically prompts your Salesforce account to look at all of the data relating to your integration whenever it’s alerted of an update. So when you make a simple update, the integration has to kick off a full scan of the system to locate the record(s) that need updating. I'm seeing error messages in your apex logs resulting of a “polling” attempt to query all of the information you’ve synced across platforms to look for changes that it should make -- with your email response data, the integration is unable to break down all of the data required for each "poll" when a new mailing appears. The traditional solution to problems like that is to “batch” the requests so that you’re only ever asking about, say, 500 rows at a time. However, Salesforce has some limitations to integration activity in place that currently prevent us from doing this effectively.

The fix for these issues is in sight, but it's required a reworking of the application at a more foundational level. We've almost completed that work and are now in testing stages of the upgrade. In that testing, we have discovered one bug relating to the webhooks that are used to sync the data across the applications. I've checked in with the product owner on this, and he has a hunch that it's just a small mistake, and he's hopeful that once it's found, the floodgates should open with data syncing correctly in our test environment. As soon as we get to that point, we'll be ready to start releasing to customer accounts.

The tricky part of things is that it's tough for the product owners to give a specific time frame when it comes to bugs. We're absolutely working to get it solved as quickly as possible, but when we're trying to find the fix for a bug, we don't know if it will take us five minutes or five days to get to the bottom of things. Once we've made the reworked version live in your account, your integration should be 100% on par with the Enterprise edition in terms of speed and functionality.

I've got your account added to the list of Professional level Salesforce customers waiting for the upgrade, and I'll be in touch with you here as soon as we're ready to make it live in your account. Thanks for all of your patience, and please let me know if you have additional Emma for Salesforce questions in the mean time. Always happy to help!

Thanks a ton,
Katie
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,
Okay, I think I know what happened. I did follow all the instructions for setup a few weeks before I did my first mailing (I had a trial version at the time). However, for some reason I think I didn't have the Force.com site copied in, or maybe I didn't verify it. I don't know why that happened though since I followed all the setup instructions step by step. But when I was trying to get my groups to sync again two days ago and went through the setup process, I saw that there wasn't anything in that field for the Force.com site. So I'm thinking that was the problem. At that point I then copied and pasted the URL in and verified it.

If so, then I'm a bit bummed that now my data for my very first mailing is not in Salesforce. Is there any way to get that information into Salesforce without doing a lengthy import process? I really need this information in Salesforce. Thanks.
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Hi Shari.

Ah, that makes total sense now! You're right on track that if the Force.com URL wasn't properly setup that things wouldn't be syncing between the applications as they should be.

With the integration out of the box, there's not any way to import response data to Salesforce for mailings sent prior to the integration being correctly set-up. I have heard from one customer who had some custom work done by an outside developer to import their pre-integration response data in to their Salesforce account, so that's an option you could investigate. If you go that route, you can use our open API to pull the response data that you want to add out of the Emma application.

Hope this helps! If I can provide any further clarification on this, you know where to find me. :)

Have a fantastic weekend!
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Katie,
I'm still really, really bummed since I thought all had been set up correctly (and I do remember entering the Force.com site address since I was following the directions but maybe I forgot to validate it? Don't know). I can do an import using Apsona but it's a pain to have to do that. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Is there any way to get the actual mailing to show up in Salesforce under the tab Emma Mailings? Otherwise none of my data will show up in Salesforce from that mailing. That is really a problem. I'm starting fresh with all my contacts in Salesforce and also starting fresh with Emma, and to have my very first mailing not showing up and not having any data in Salesforce is a big problem. I was so excited to set up everything and have it all working from the get-go.

Also, when I do finally do the import of the results into Salesforce, it seems the export that I created of the list data does not give me all the clicks and opt-outs and other pertinent information that should be in Salesforce, such as the Mailing ID. And since the actual mailing is not in Salesforce, how do I connect the results that I want to import to that mailing, which is a lookup field in Salesforce? I can't do a lookup because it's not showing.

So, three questions:
1. How do I get the mailing information into the Emma Mailings tab?
2. How do I get all the information on each contact such as opens, mailing name, date opened, etc into the .csv export that Emma creates from an Emma group or segment?
3. For an import, how can I connect the results on a Contact record with that mailing if the mailing is not showing up in the Emma Mailings tab in Salesforce?

I really need all this information to show up in Salesforce even though it's after the fact. Thanks for your help.
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good morning, Shari.

The integration isn't built to sync historical mailings, so there's not a way to get that information in to the Emma Mailings tab without doing some custom development work on your end in your Salesforce account. If you'd like to go that route, you'd want to use our open API to pull the response data out of the Emma application that you'd like to have your developer add to your Salesforce account. All of the documentation on our open API is available online.

When you export a group or segment from Emma, you're only exporting the audience data, not any response data. If you're looking to export a spreadsheet of opens, clicks, etc. for a particular mailing, you'd want to do a detailed export from the Response section of your Emma account. If you need a little guidance doing that export, please check out the great how-to info we have in our Resource Center on detailed response exports.

If you choose to explore some custom development work within your Salesforce account to get your historical mailings reflected, the how-to would all be up to your Salesforce developer. Since the integration wasn't designed to do that, it's not an element that we'd be able to support here on the Emma side. Although I'm savvy with our integration and our open API, I'm no Salesforce developer and wouldn't be able to begin to tell you how that custom coding would be done to get those historical mailings reflected within your Salesforce account.

If you have further Emma for Salesforce questions, please let me know. Always happy to help!

Cheers,
Katie
Photo of Shari

Shari

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Okay, guess I'll just have to live with not having that info in Salesforce since I don't have a developer that could help me with that. Wish I knew why it didn't take in the first place since I went through the setup instructions meticulously. Oh well... live and learn. Maybe your team can highlight that step a little more clearly in the setup instructions for the Enterprise edition. It's kind of hidden in a paragraph under Setup, and the picture does not show it because the "polling" option is chosen in the picture, not the "webhook" option, where the box to insert the URL appears. It might be helpful to make that a separate step with a screenshot, and put a circle around it like you have in other pictures. Thanks.
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Happy Friday, Shari!

I've passed along your feedback on the installation and setup documentation to the Emma for Salesforce product owner, and we will most definitely consider an update there to call out the webhook option and Force.com URL field in the screenshot. We always appreciate hearing from customers with feedback like that, so thank you for sending it my way!

I also wanted to give you an extra thank you high five for your review of the integration on the Salesforce AppExchange. You rock! :)

I'm always happy to help if any further Emma for Salesforce questions come up, and I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Thanks,
Katie
Photo of CH Bus Sales, Inc.

CH Bus Sales, Inc.

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, I am also having this same issue. I set up Emma back on August 22, 2014, following the Integration Steps for Professional Edition.  I sent out my first mailing last week on 10/15/14 and am not seeing that mailing appear in the Emma Mailings tab.  I didn't know of anything I missed or any issues I had when I first integrated the program. 

However, I went into the setup/install and saw the "Configure" button.  So just this morning I configured the system and synced (again).  My groups are appearing correctly now (they weren't before) but my Emma Response Activity and Emma Mailings are not showing up. Do I need to Configure Emma every time before I send out an email??? I thought after the initial setup everything synced automatically? Which in this case did not and my first mailing is not appearing. Not sure if this is also important to note but after I integrated Emma & Salesforce, I created a new group in Emma, but again, shouldn't that sync automatically? 

If someone could please assist, it would be greatly appreciated. I have already granted access. ID 00DU0000000J4TR

Thanks,
Michaela 
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good morning, Michaela.

Thanks for your post and for granting that login access! I've taken a look at your apex logs, and as far as the sent mailings not populating over to the Emma Mailings tab within Salesforce, you're running in to the same issue as I described for Core Creative a bit up in this thread -- the issue related to polling for our Professional level Salesforce users. As of the last update I've gotten from our Emma for Salesforce product owner, we're working towards having a beta version of the reworked integration ready to start testing in customer accounts by month's end.

We'll start by rolling it out to selected accounts, and if all goes smoothly there, we'll push to all customer accounts. Once we've made the reworked version live in your account, your integration should be 100% on par with the Enterprise edition in terms of speed and functionality. I've got you on the list of Professional level Salesforce customers waiting for the upgrade, and I'll be in touch with you here as soon as we're ready to make it live in your account.

As far as running your Emma Setup sync, that's not something you need to do before sending each mailing. Once your initial bootstrapping process completes, there is an automatic two-way sync in place for any leads/contacts included in an Emma Group within Salesforce. If you create a group within Salesforce and populate it within Salesforce, the included leads/contacts are automatically synced over to your Emma account. If you were to create the group in Emma by directly importing a spreadsheet though, you would need to run through the Emma Setup sync again to sync those contacts that were directly imported to Emma back to your Salesforce account.

Hope this helps clear things up! Thanks for all of your patience, and you'll hear from me on this thread as soon as I have an update on the reworked version of Emma for Salesforce. Please let me know if you have additional Emma for Salesforce questions in the mean time ... always happy to help!

Cheers,
Katie
Photo of CH Bus Sales, Inc.

CH Bus Sales, Inc.

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Katie-
Thank you for your response. Just want to make sure I understand. Emma will automatically sync with Salesforce when it comes to contacts being in the right Emma Groups within SF but because I have the Professional Edition, my mailings will not appear nor will my contact mailing responses? 

Please confirm if that is correct.  If that is the case, will it be possible for the Contact Responses & Mailings to appear if I do run through the Emma Setup Sync before every mailing? If not, then that is very frustrating. I got out of our old email marketing system and switched to Emma because of the capabilities with Salesforce. No where does it say that with Professional Edition I would have these issues....

Thanks again for your help and reply. 

Michaela 
Photo of Katie Watts

• 423 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Good afternoon, Michaela.

Happy to clarify on the issues! The polling limitations I described earlier in the thread can impact both group syncing and the syncing of the response data in some Professional level Salesforce accounts. Unfortunately running through the Emma Setup sync before every mailing won't have any impact on the limitations of the polling syncing method.

I absolutely understand your frustration on this! We are working as quickly as we can to get the reworked version of the integration live in customers' accounts so that our Professional level Salesforce users don't have to rely on the more-limited polling method for their two-way syncing. I checked in with the product owner of the integration again today, and we're still working towards having the beta version of the upgraded integration ready to test in customer accounts by month's end.

I'll update you on this thread as soon as I have further information, and if you have any additional questions in the mean time, please let me know. Always happy to help!

Thanks a ton,
Katie
Photo of Rachel Dardinski Carollo

Rachel Dardinski Carollo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello.  I wanted to check back on integration with Salesforce Professional.  Any updates since your last post?

Thanks, 

Rachel Carollo
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Rachel -- You can click to follow this conversation to get updates straight to your inbox as we post them!
Photo of Mary Gaughan

Mary Gaughan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same problem with a test mailing not showing up. I've installed Emma in a sandbox and we have an Enterprise edition, so I assume the Professional edition issue doesn't apply. I granted Emma Login access already. Our Org ID is 00D8A0000008uTR. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated!