If someone's email changes, what's the best way to update it while keeping the link between that person in Emma and in Salesforce?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
If someone's email changes, what's the best way to update their record(s) while maintaining the link between that person in Emma and in Salesforce?
Photo of Laura Meerkatz

Laura Meerkatz

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Cody De Vos

Cody De Vos, Official Rep

• 106 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Laura, 

That's a great question. During the initial sync, we rely on email addresses to identify which Emma contacts match your Salesforce leads and contacts. However, once we've mapped email addresses across platforms, an update in a Salesforce record's email address will also be shared with their Emma contact record. This is because both of our services use unique member ID's to identify our contacts, and those ID's stay the same even after an email address is updated.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Cody
Photo of Joe Thoron

Joe Thoron

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How does Emma pick up that the address has changed? Do we need to do anything? Or is it automatic?
Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Joe, thanks for posting! The address sync should be automatic, and you shouldn't have to do anything. Depending on the edition of Salesforce, it might take varying lengths of time, but no matter what it will happen automatically. 

If your addresses aren't syncing, please let me know! We'll be able to dig in and take a look!
Photo of The SeaDoc Society

The SeaDoc Society

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
About 95% of the time it's working just fine, but when it doesn't, it really doesn't. 

Yesterday we updated an email address of a bounced contact in SF. I went to Emma to switch the Error flag, and noticed the email address hadn't changed (this was about 5 min later). I changed the flag, but by the last time I checked yesterday the flag status had not changed in Salesforce. Then this morning I looked at the email address in SF had been returned to the pre-change one that's in Emma, and the flag was set to Error again (in Emma). 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey there, apologies for being late with a reply, I must have missed this response. I'll have one of my colleagues take a look at your account. When you have a moment, please grant us access by following the instructions on this page. I'll post back here when I find out more!

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I've heard back from our Salesforce experts. They're unable to replicate what you experienced, but our best guess is that the integration ran into a sync error when you tried updating that member record in Salesforce. At this point, we suggest you manually change the email in Emma since it didn't carry over the change from Salesforce and from there, you'll be able to change the error status. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions!