I'm having issues creating a new import when contacts have early 1900s birthdays (ex. 1/1/1901)

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: resolved

When I pull a fresh list of contacts to import, all of the dates are formatted MM/DD/YYYY in a CSV, however this results in an error message (134 members had invalid entries for the birthday field.) If I open it in excel and save it as either a .csv or .xlsx file, most dates are formatted either as MM-DD-YY or MM/DD/YY, but the early 1900s dates are still MM/DD/YYYY. I've uploaded all three files to my documents. The only way I got the import to work today was to delete the birthday field. I assume it would also work if I went though and manually deleted those dates, but that seems very time consuming to have to do before every update.
Photo of Southeast Financial

Southeast Financial

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- This error often means there are some fields in the birthday column of your spreadsheet that don't match the format of the birthday field in your account. I did a quick scan of your file and found close to 100 cells populated with empty slashes ( /  / ). I did a find and replace search to clear those out and was then able to successfully import your file, including the birthday column, to my test account. 

Can you give that a try and let me know if it works for you? If you run into more trouble, I'd be happy to keep digging!
Photo of Southeast Financial

Southeast Financial

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, that worked. I assumed those were actually null value placeholders not that " / / " was the value. Strangely, there were only 67 instances of that, so I wonder why the error said 134 members had invalid entries.