Large image sized wrong when viewed in Outlook 2013

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I am sending a single JPEG, formatted to fit the My Emma template. When I test it to myself (I am using office 2013), the long JPEG is cut off on the top and right sides.
I have tested it to five other people, who are not using Office 2013.
All of them are seeing the image as it's supposed to be.
I sent it to another Office 2013 user, and he, too, is seeing an image that is greatly cut off at the top and left side.
Is this a compatibility issue with Office 2013? How do I resolve?
The only way I've been able to see the whole image (attached) in Office 2013 is to make it so small, it's not legible...
Photo of New Orleans College Prep Charter School

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Official Response
I’ve done some testing and can confirm that Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 all have trouble rendering this image at the scale you’ve designed. At 620 × 3185, the width of your image is Emma-friendly (most of our templates are 650 pixels wide), but the height of your image is problematic for some email rendering engines, case in point Outlook. Your email program might have a “shrink to fit” option you can enable to see the whole thing, but I’d reconsider the image size if I were you, since you don’t want recipients to have to adjust their email settings to view the full image.

Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 tend to be the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to email rendering issues. This is because instead of designing Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013 around Internet Explorer (a browser that's meant to translate HTML), Microsoft decided to base these versions' HTML rendering engine on Word (a word processor that does wordy stuff). Consequently several popular elements of HTML email design are dicey in that environment.

As tempting as it is to take this gorgeous flyer, save it as a jpeg and plug it into your email campaign, sending one big image is risky for reasons that go beyond Outlook. Servers are more likely to filter emails with large images, and recipients may move on to other things before your image fully loads. In addition, some email programs, like Gmail and Outlook, prompt recipients to download images by default, meaning that a percentage of your recipients might see the original email you designed as a broken image or a red x, unless they follow their email program’s prompt to download the image.

So, what is the best way to repurpose a print-oriented piece like this in email? Consider asking an HTML designer to take the single large image and recode it into smaller, sliced images. Emma's own design team has been doing just that, reconfiguring custom campaigns like yours to make them email friendly. To request this service, just visit our online design form.

If you prefer to slice your own images, I imagine the same program you used to design this graphic may have an option to break the design into smaller segments. You might also look to see if free image editing sites like PicMonkey and Pixlr Express have the option. Once you have the image height sliced into manageable pieces, you’d build a layout for the Emma campaign consisting of several single image placeholders stacked on top of each other, and use one for each image slice, setting the image padding to zero so that the slices fit neatly together.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.