Importing Excel file into Emma adds .0 (dot zero) to one of the fields.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I have an issue where Emma views ".0" on a row of numbers on the mapping page. This issue occured before but resovled itself somehow. The excel cell format for the row in question is general and I have also tried as text. I don't even have a chance to map the particular row as it "sees" the .0.
Photo of Great Gulf Homes All amounts in USD

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hello there, 

It sounds like you are on the right track, there are just a couple of steps you may have missed in getting that ".0" to not appear. We are currently working to leave out that pesky ".0" from our numerical fields, but in the meantime we do have a workaround for you: 
1) Copy the numerical column in your file to text edit and format as plain text 

2) Insert a new column on the excel file and format that for text 

3) Copy the data from text edit to the newly inserted column on excel 

4) Delete the original excel column.

If you format your text following the steps above, and import using add and update to get rid of the existing ".0" in your list. Let me know how that works for you!
Thanks Laura, the work around worked fine!

cheers,
GG
Photo of Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership

Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having this exact same issue.  It is also reading my dates (4/16/15) as 16.4.2015 00:00:00.  I have both formatted as a text box AND even uploaded as a CSV.  Is this a new problem?  I've not had this issue in all of my past emails...
Photo of Laura Dickerson

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Hi Hugh,
When you save the date as text in the Excel file, do you get the "Number stored as Text" message in the entire column? There should be a little green triangle in each cell (upper right hand corner) to reflect that the cell and column are saved as text. This part is key! Let me know!
Photo of Laura Dickerson

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I just wanted to check in to see if this worked for you?
Photo of The Stockade Consulting Group, Inc.

The Stockade Consulting Group, Inc.

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
When I import data in Excel format OR CSV format, my numerals end in .0 and I cannot get this to stop happening.

This was an issue a year ago, it was a bug in your system and you said it was fixed, but it is not fixed.  I'm trying to import data with $$ pledge amounts, however not matter how I save the data file and no matter how I format the data fields, my numerals are being transferred into my emails ending in .0   PLEASE HELP!!
Photo of The Houston Zoo

The Houston Zoo

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are having this issue as well - starting October 16, our spreadsheet errors completely for CSV and in Excel, it adds a .0 to our numerical field, even if we change the formatting to text. Uploading a CSV worked fine the day before (October 15), but now it does not. We are not doing anything different - in fact, the fields are the same! Can you help?

Thanks!
Photo of Laura Dickerson

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I just wanted everyone to know that this issue has been fixed!