Internet Explorer 11 users - unable to see text formatting toolbar

• Announcement
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: IE 11 toolbar resolved

Customers using Internet Explorer 11 are unable to see the text formatting toolbar in our drag & drop editor. Our developers are aware of this limitation and are exploring the root cause of the problem and how we can correct it. For those of you who are using IE 11 our recommendation would be to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as a substitute browser.

Will will post updates here as we know more. We will also let you know when IE 11 is once again friends with our dear Emma. 
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of DuBow Digest

DuBow Digest

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
As a non-expert with computers I have no idea what you're talking about. I started to put my newest newsletter on the "Classic Editor" and it won't work. Is that what you're talking about? Is the Classic Editor now kaput?

How do I feel? After quite a few years with Emma I feel violated.

Eugene DuBow
DuBow Digest
Photo of Dennis Manugal

Dennis Manugal

• 33 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I would hope you leave the classic editor available for awhile and give us some time to adopt to the new drag and drop. Cutting off access for the classic editor just hurts the customers who have been with you the longest.

You dont have to support the classic editor but it wouldnt hurt to keep it around for a little bit longer as well.
Photo of DuBow Digest

DuBow Digest

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree with TRSA. I don't see the upside of just leaving the classic.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I’m sorry to hear the confusion this has caused! Kyle’s talking about those who are using Internet Explorer 11 as their web browser to access the internet. (It’s the blue “e” you click on your desktop.) He’s saying that the formatting toolbar in the drag & drop editor, not the classic editor, is what’s missing right now for those Internet Explorer 11 users.

It sounds as though you two are experiencing something different, in the classic editor. As you’ve read, we’re in the process of making the classic editor read-only, and we stopped updating that feature’s code this fall. The drag & drop editor was introduced in the spring/summer of 2012, and we’re excited to move full-time to the new feature.

I regret that you feel you haven’t had the time to get used to the drag & drop editor. If there are any specific questions you have about how this editor works, please give us a shout!
Photo of Denise Peeler

Denise Peeler

• 34 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would hesitate before recommending people use Firefox with the Drag-and-Drop Editor. When we upgraded to Windows 8, Firefox lost much of its functionality, especially with the features I used with Emma. A particular plugin which allowed for paste-without-formatting being the most important.

Chrome works great with Emma's Drag-and-Drop Editor in Windows 8, and I have recommended it to everyone on our staff who uses Emma.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
It’s good to hear this, Denise! I exclusively use Firefox 26 with Emma and haven’t had an issues, but if you’ve become accustomed to a specific plugin, it’s possible that that plugin might not be compatible.

If you’re needing to remove formatting fairly frequently, here are my two favorite ways:

+ The remove formatting button in the toolbar lets you click in a text box or highlight text and then strip it of its font family, size, alignment, etc.

+ I also keep editpad.org open all day. You can paste directly onto the website, copy from there and paste the plaintext elsewhere.

I hope this helps!
Photo of Denise Peeler

Denise Peeler

• 34 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for your reply. I loved Firefox, but the Hyperwords plugin was not the only problem that I had after upgrading to Windows 8. However, Mozilla has since begun supporting it, so I'll have to try it again.

In the meantime, in Chrome on Windows 8, if you right-click there is an option for "paste as plain text." Eliminates the need for Notepad or editpad.org.

While the "Remove Formatting" works, I've found it sometimes removes ALL formatting, which can be troublesome if I'm in a text box I've already formatted, and sometimes other formatting can sneak in.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hmm, the remove formatting button should only remove all formatting in a text box if you haven’t highlighted an individual bit of text that’s set off from the others, like if it’s in its own paragraph.

Would you mind creating a new conversation for us to take a closer look? I don’t want to get too off-topic in this conversation!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey everyone, I’d like to give an update here. Because of some other issues with Microsoft’s latest update to Internet Explorer 11, we aren’t supporting this browser right now. We’re doing work to improve the IE 11 experience in January, because of the breadth of work and upcoming holidays.

Until then, we recommend using Chrome or Firefox as your browser while working in Emma for the best experience. Thanks as always for your patience!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Text formatting toolbar disappears in IE 11.

On several occasions the text formatting toolbar does not appear. This obviously is very troublesome in trying to create a useful campaign. This has been a reoccurring problem for the last couple of months. Usually, I have to log out and log in again to get it to appear. Today that is not doing the trick. Any hints?
Photo of Because There Is Hope

Because There Is Hope

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Win8 Drag & Drop.

Has the new drag and drop editor been tested in Win8? I just tried training a client and the text edit bar wasn't appearing and it wasn't letting me delete the Loreum Ipsum. Thanks!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Great news, everyone: The formatting toolbar is once again appearing in Internet Explorer 11. :)

Thanks to all for your patience! Please let us know if you see anything else funky in IE 11.
(Edited)