Is it possible to choose how you want an external link to open? In a new tab or new window?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Not only from images but also from link copy.
Photo of Angie Charnes

Angie Charnes

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mary Mancini

Mary Mancini, Champion

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi! Great question. You can change the way an external link opens - in a new tab/window or in the same window as your mailing (if they are viewing it online) - by adding a bit of HTML code to your content.

If you set the target attribute to "_blank", the link will open in a new browser window/tab. For example: Visit YourDomain.com!

However, keep in mind that it’s the user who controls how their browser handles opening a link with a target attribute. They set this in the preferences of the browser they use.
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Official Response
For clarification, the code would look something like
<a href="http://domain.com" target="_blank">Link Text</a>

I think the question is can this be added via the drag n drop editor? When I go to create a hyperlink or link an image, I don't see any option for this.
Photo of SeeMore Putters

SeeMore Putters

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have the same question - did anyone get an answer from Emma about this?  Thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! Mary's spot-on in her response above. :) You can tweak the HTML to suggest to your recipients' browsers how they should handle the link.
Photo of SeeMore Putters

SeeMore Putters

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Katie!  Not the best tech savvy person here - this is why we love Emma.  Can you give me step by step to make this happen?  Thanks.
Photo of SeeMore Putters

SeeMore Putters

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
doing the happy dance!  Thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Sure! You'll want to be comfortable editing HTML to do this, however. Here are the steps:

1. In the editor, click inside a text box to open the formatting toolbar.
  2. Click the button that looks like this -- </> -- to open the HTML behind that text box.
  3. Your link's code should look like this -- <a href="ADDRESS" target="_blank">TEXT</a> -- where that target is what tells the browser how to open the link.
Photo of Videofied / RSI Video Technologies

Videofied / RSI Video Technologies

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Opening link in a new tab/window should be standard, not an HTML tweak.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Videofied! I'm forking your post out to a new Idea conversation. I'll run this Idea by our Product Team and update the status to let you know our plans.

Please reference the new conversation here: External links should default to open in a new tab or window.