Disable link tracking for email sends

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
I want to send an email without emma's built in tracking so that the urls for links are not altered. 

Example of this would be using bit.ly urls (for tracking) that I do not want altered by emma. 

So, Is there a way to disable tracking for email sends from Emma?
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Matt! This isn’t possible, but I’m looping in a product owner to see if it’s something we’ll pursue down the line.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey again, Matt! I talked with a product owner, and this isn't planned for right now, but we're going to keep an eye on this conversation to see what the interest is from others. I'm marking this as Under Consideration. Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You Katie for your reply. Let me know if this ever changes.
Photo of John

John

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am interested in showing my actual destination URL when you hover over the link, instead of the Emma tracking link (http://t.e2ma.net/click/.....)  As an email coming from a financial institution, we don’t want customers to think there may be Information Security issues by clicking on an unknown URL.  I like having the tracking from Emma, and want to know the stats, but I want it to be seamless, behind the scenes and I want our customers to know where the end URL will be.  Do you have any solutions for this?  Thank you.

Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi John! When you send a mailing, the links go through Emma’s tracker so that she can note for you on the Response page which links were clicked, by whom and how many times. There isn’t a way right now to bypass that and force the original URL to display, but we’re talking about how that would look, and I’ll let you know here what changes.
Photo of John

John

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you. I like the reports and understand the need for the links, but customers may not understand this and think the tracking url is suspect. Appreciate your efforts to make tracking more seamless.
Photo of NSG "Always Here. Always Moving."

NSG "Always Here. Always Moving."

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
t.e2ma.net.

Is there a way for our links inside an email to not bounce to a redirect first?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey there!  

I just came across this older post and wanted to chime in here that now you CAN edit your TEXT links to make them not redirect to Emma.  (note, this is not for Images or Buttons)

You will need to open the code view of your text block and add the following attribute to an <a> tag: no_track="1"

The whole thing will look something like this:

<a href="http://www.myemma.com" no_track="1">

You open the code view for your text block by clicking the "< / >" block from the text edit toolbar.  That looks like this!

Cheers! 

- Grey 

Photo of Raneez

Raneez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Grey,

If we add this code, does the heat map works or shows the click rate ?
(Edited)
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  Using this code means that Emma is unable to track the specific clicks, therefore the heat map nor response data will be able to track those clicks.  
Photo of Raneez

Raneez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Raneez

Raneez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is what happened after using track code. It's not showing any heat map nor response data 
Photo of Raneez

Raneez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on this ?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yup, that is the expected behavior.  Disabling link tracking will keep Emma from being able to track the links, thus they won't show any information in the Response data.  

This is also true for PURLs (Personalized URLs) such as opt-out links, manage preference links, or confirm opt-in links.

Let me know if you have any more questions.