Is there a way to get a PDF of my newsletter that I sent to keep on file or post online?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Photo of Green Jeans Creative

Green Jeans Creative

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there! If you head to the Response page of your account, you can click on the name of the mailing you'd like to save as a PDF (it must have been sent to appear in Response).

Then simply click the "Save As PDF" Button in the top-right, and click "Save Webview as PDF".  

(Edited)
Photo of dzyn solutions

dzyn solutions

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
A follow up question ... I have done this however, the pdf come out as 2 pages. Is there a way to get it to reduce in size so that it is only 1 page?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
There isn’t a way to reduce it in size — It’s creating a pdf of your mailing at its current length. If you do need it to be smaller, you could create a copy of your mailing in Emma and play with the font sizes to reduce it, then send it to generate the online version link and take it through a pdf generator again.

That will, of course, make your text a little tougher to read, since it will be smaller. But if it’s important that the pdf be one page, this is how you could make it happen.
Photo of Steve Palmquist

Steve Palmquist

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I would like to chime in and request "create a PDF of this campaign" feature for a possible Emma enhancement. It would be a great way to document a campaign. It would have some utility for situations where sending a message via Emma is not practical but sending a PDF version of the campaign would help maintain consistency.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey Steve! Would you be up for creating a new idea conversation for this request? I’ll share it with our product owners from there, and that will help us track interest in a feature like this.
Photo of Margaret Rudd & Associates, Inc.

Margaret Rudd & Associates, Inc.

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
We have some clients that would also like a PDF of our newsletter. Has there been any progress on a "create a PDF of the campaign" feature that Steve suggested? When I try to convert, the newsletter comes out as 5 pages. This would be a really nice feature to have.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! There hasn't been an update here, but keep in mind that if there's enough content in your mailing to come out as five pages, there isn't a way to condense that in a readable way; you would need less content. I'm guessing you're looking to be able to print to one page; is that right? I'm glad to chat about how you might achieve that, if you'd like to create a new conversation for us to take a look at your mailing.
Photo of Lauren Jacobsen

Lauren Jacobsen

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have tried both links: pdfCrowd will only let you select options if you subscribe and saves in landscape mode. HTML to PDF does a nice rendering but sometimes it breaks pictures in half.  "Save As" and 'Export to PDF' on a Mac renders poorly and makes odd page breaks.  No luck and not acceptable to send to clients.  Would like to echo the request for a PDF converter within Emma as well.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks, Lauren! If you haven't already, do add your vote here. :)
Photo of Lauren Jacobsen

Lauren Jacobsen

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What do you mean "add your vote?"  
Does that mean these are the only ways to create a pdf and the broken pictures, incorrect orientation and poor resolution are things we have to live with?
Photo of Lauren Jacobsen

Lauren Jacobsen

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I selected "like" at the aforementioned 'voting' link you provided above.  
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I understand that you're frustrated. We're talking in that thread I pointed you to about how we're pursing the ability to save a PDF of your email.

There's a lot of thought that went into what that experience would look like, and the reason we don't already have that feature is because we weren't sure that it fit into our work as a digital agency; we thought a lot about whether printing is a problem that's our role to solve when there are other features more pertinent to our goals and plans as an email company. Seeing the number of votes and requests PDFs were getting showed us that if there's a way to make that tool work, then it's a great win all around, even if it means sidelining other projects.

I'll keep you updated in that thread, and please let me know if I can help answer any other questions.
Photo of Lauren Jacobsen

Lauren Jacobsen

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
 I am not interested in a PDF as a print vehicle as much as saving off my newsletter I create and being able to send it to people and places not in my regular database.
Photo of Power Systems Research TEST

Power Systems Research TEST

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to produce a full size PDF of the newsletter I've created, not merely a web view. Is that possible?
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yes, you can either use the "Save As PDF" option in the response Overview page or you can open up the webview and save that as a PDF.  
Photo of Nashville Health Care Council

Nashville Health Care Council

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have previously been able to go into Response, Overview and 'Save as PDF' and it saves the webview for me as a PDF so I can post that on our website. However, when I went to do this for our latest newsletter, it's saving as a web file not a PDF. Has something changed with how I would go about doing this?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!   Nothing has changed on our end regarding these.  This can look different depending on the browser you're using and the settings in that browser.  

In my Chrome, for example, it opens the PDF in a new browser tab and I click at the top-right to download the PDF.  If you right-click and choose "SAVE" it might save as a different type of file.  

If you're not seeing these options, let me know what browser you're using and I'll take a look.  

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am using Chrome as well. When I click on saving the webview as a PDF, it opens a new browser tab. When I click the top-right to download the PDF it only gives the option to save as an 'All files' type and doesn't download as a PDF, as it had previously. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Yes, that's how it looks in Chrome.  I'm not sure why they have it set up that way, but when I download the file and open it, it is a PDF, as expected.  

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, but none of the links in the PDF are active links like they used to be. Just odd that it would change. Thanks for all your responses!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
hey there!  Yeah, our PDF builder has never created PDFs with active links.  I know we do have a feature request in to our developers for that feature, and I'll go ahead and add you to the list!  

We are tracking requests for that specific feature ON THIS COMMUNITY TOPIC.  If you want to head there and click to follow, I'll be posting there when we do get that feature created! 
Photo of Playhouse District Association

Playhouse District Association

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I use google chrome and am having the same issue. My coworker uses Firefox and says that when she goes to print, instead of printing, she selects "Save as PDF" and then selects "Printer-Friendly Version." That's how she gets a PDF with active links.  I've tried this with Internet Explorer and Chrome and do not get a PDF with active links.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hmm, I was testing using Chrome on my computer and it did "print" the PDF with working links.  

There are a couple in the footer that do not populate, the Opt-Out and the "online" link.  But the other links in my mailing worked as expected.  

I wonder if it's a setting within Chrome, or if it might be worthwhile to research a Chrome plugin that will print the PDFs with all of the links.  

Of course, you want to make sure you're "printing" the Webview of the mailing from Emma as well.  Not necessarily the version from your inbox. 
Photo of Hahn Loeser

Hahn Loeser

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Is it possible to save mailings to your computer and not just on emma?.

Is there a way to save a mailing, present or past, electronically? Like on to one's computer and not just on Emma?
Photo of AAHAM Western Region

AAHAM Western Region

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I save my mailer as an Adobe document?.

Some of my recipients would like to send out my mailer but need it in another format, like Adobe
Photo of DCPS Communications

DCPS Communications

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
How do I pdf a campaign message?.

I am trying to pdf a campaign message so I can also use it as an attachment in an email. I do not want to lose the formatting in the pdf though...is this possible?
Photo of Bethany Stephens

Bethany Stephens

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
PDF/Print Format of Newsletter.

Ok, I completely realize this is a ridiculous question, and the whole point of email newsletters is to eliminate a lot of this.

However, I have a client who is insistent upon having a print version of his newsletter.  I've created a lovely template for him, but he is convinced that some of his readers will want to print the email (cringe).  Are there any special tools or tactics to make this happen for him and come out looking nice?

Thanks, all!
Beth
Photo of GE Healthcare

GE Healthcare

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need to recover my old campaigns in an electronic format..

I need to recover my old campaigns in an electronic format. I was not using myEmma for a long time and have not found a was to recover it. PDF would also help
Photo of Lauren Jacobsen

Lauren Jacobsen

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want to save my newsletter off of Emma as a PDF to send outside of my audience.....
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi, all! An update here that we've released a quick link to save your sent mailing as a PDF:

Hop to your sent mailing's response page, and look near the top-right for this option. :)
Photo of McKinsey Solutions

McKinsey Solutions

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I confirm this works as I have tried it a number of times without any success?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Sure, I'm glad to confirm this works! What's the name and date of the mailing you're trying this in, and what's the browser and version you're using? If you're unsure of the latter, you can go to supportdetails.com to have your browser and version automatically detected.

What exactly is happening for you when you click the Save webview as a PDF link? Do you get the same experience no matter the browser you use (like Chrome vs. Firefox)?
Photo of Legal & General America

Legal & General America

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having issues with the Save webview as a PDF. It works like a dream for short emails but most of the communications we went are at least two pages. When I try to save as a PDF, I have the option of saving the entire mailing on one page. If I unclick Fit to Page, the mailing disappears and I can only see the gray/white stripes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as saving Emma communications to PDF has been an ongoing struggle!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Eek, I haven't seen that before! I'm creating a separate space for us to work on this for you. I'm sure we can find a resolution, and I'm so glad you've reported this.

Please reference the new conversation here: Mailing disappears when I unclick Fit to Page when saving as a PDF
I am having this issue still as well. I can only get a long zoomed out version of our newsletter and its completely unusable! I have called the help line twice and there seems to be no solution yet. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there, I popped into your account and pulled a pdf of your most recent mailing.  

What you're seeing on yours is that really long mailings tend to look very zoomed out in PDF form.  When you have a long mailing that you're wanting to save, we suggest doing that from within your browser by opening up the Webview and then "Print" the page as a PDF. 

You'll notice that shorter mailings will look fine in the "Save As PDF" function. This has to do with the way that PDF's are generated when it comes to rendering fonts and images.  

- G 
Photo of The Healing Trust

The Healing Trust

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I covert my newsletter into a pdf?.

I'm using Chrome 42.0.2311.135 and it would be helpful if I could convert the newsletter into a pdf.  Is this possible?
Photo of Paige

Paige

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've tried the "Save webview as a PDF" feature, but the links from the email are no longer clickable and the images look low-res. Is it not possible for the PDF to include links from the original email? I've tried homegrown work-arounds such as the free PDF creators listed above, but they don't look very polished -- and I've also tried simply pasting into Word and saving as a PDF, which doesn't retain all the styling. Hoping there's an easy answer I'm missing.
Photo of Paul Zimmerman-Clayton

Paul Zimmerman-Clayton, Official Rep

• 400 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hey Paige, thanks for posting! The Save webview as a PDF option won't keep your links, but you may be able to create that PDF through your browser. I know that if you're using Chrome or Safari, you can instead click the link to "Open webview in a new window," then open the print settings. While in the print settings, there should be an option to save as PDF, and this version will keep the links intact. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Paige! I want to follow up to let you know we're talking about this idea of saving your mailing as a PDF with working links here, if you'd like to add your voice to the conversation.
Photo of Odessa Tactical Gear

Odessa Tactical Gear

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to know how you can save the mailing to a jpeg so it is easier to post on Instagram. I can save it to the pdf as my pdf program has the feature to save it to a jpeg, png, etc. but the characteristics of the mailing give my program a problem and I come up short. Screen captures are very blurry. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Odessa Tactical Gear
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Mike! We don't have a built-in way to save a mailing as a jpeg, but if you're up for creating a new conversation for that idea, I'll share it with our Product Team to get their thoughts.
Photo of Lipscomb University Athletics Agency

Lipscomb University Athletics Agency

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I just tried this function and it is substituting/changing fonts.  It's also adding a blank page on the end. 
Photo of Laura Dickerson

Laura Dickerson, Official Rep

• 778 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
I would try this link:  http://www.html-to-pdf.net/free-online-pdf-converter.aspx. You will need your mailing's online version URL.
(Edited)
Photo of YMCA of the Inland Northwest

YMCA of the Inland Northwest

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We are new to my emma and the "save webview to PDF" does not work for us as our newsletters are more than one page. When I use PDFcrowd.com it works pretty good as long as you don't want a printed version and I don't like using a third party program. Not have an easy to use PDF conversion within my emma is very frustrating.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Converting Newsletter.

Hi,

Is there a way to PDF a message sent out or create a link for it? I create newsletters for my department, and we would like to start archiving them on our website but have no idea how to start.
Photo of Power Systems Research TEST

Power Systems Research TEST

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good Morning, emma developers

I've been working with emma for about 9 months, and I love it; we've had good success with our mailings, and the emma support team has been great.

But users have been asking for an easy way to make a PDF of our newsletters for THREE YEARS, and there still is no solution. What is the hold up?

This is an obvious need that many emma users have.

PLEASE CREATE A SOLUTION FOR US.

Thank you.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there.  

Just so I'm understanding you, are you asking for something outside of the "Save Webview as PDF" button in the Response Overview?  

If you're looking for something else, let me know!