Issue with text tag and save as template in drag & drop editor

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have a template built via the template builder. Using the drag & drop editor, I arranged the blocks the way the design of my mailing called for. Then I proceed to save that mailing as a template (this time via the drag & drop editor). However, when I go to create a new mailing with this new template, the areas that used the %text tag in the template builder breaks. See attached screenshots.

In the mailing in second screenshot, I can still edit the text in the %text tag block even though there are some code artifacts above the photo of the woman. In the mailing in the first screenshot, I can't edit the text in the %text tag at all.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Help!

Account: info@enthusiastinc.com

The broken templates are Next 5 at LA5 and El Rodeo one. The original base templates created in the template builder are Rotary LA5 and El Rodeo Base

Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • weary

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Thanks for providing so much context here! I'm digging in on this and will reach out when I know more.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- Thanks for you patience as I dug in on this. It looks like there was some misplaced JSON in these two save as templates. I wasn't able to isolate the exact cause of why those didn't save correctly, but I did remove that JSON from each template.

The issue on the "El Rodeo" template was with the default text not saving correctly when the JSON was added. I went through on both templates and cleaned up that JSON code. Please let me know if you see any other strange behavior in those templates.
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks! I am able to remove the misplaced JSON from my end? I made some edits to the original emails that the save as templates were based off and re-saved new templates from them. (Enthusiast El Rodeo Test & Enthusiast Next 5 Test) Looks like the issue resurfaced for these new templates.... :(

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
You should be all set here now! That JSON is added to the code for the Save as Template and isn't accessible in the application. If you run into this again, give me a shout and we'll see if we can gather more information about what might be causing that.
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi!

I had to create another template using Save as Template and I've run into the issue again. Can you fix El Rodeo - New and Next 5 at LA5 - New? Thanks!

And to reiterate the steps I took. I made a template using the Template Builder (El Rodeo Base & Rotary LA5 respectively). Then I used the Drag & Drop Editor to build mailings based off these templates (See Editable El Rodeo Template and Editable Next 5 @ LA5 Template). Once I got the structure down, I used Save as Template to get El Rodeo - New and Next 5 @ LA5 - New.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Taking another look! Thanks for your patience. :)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey there -- Thanks for your patience here! I wanted to identify what was causing this issue, rather than just fixing the resulting issue. :)

The problem seems to be wrapping the text tag in an <h1 style>. For example, you had this originally in your Roatry LA5 template: 

<h1 style="padding: 15px 10px 25px 10px; font-size: 34px; text-align: center;">[% text name="Headline Text" default="HEADLINE TEXT GOES HERE" %][%/ text %]</h1> 

If I just moved the styling to the td tag, like this: 

<td style="padding: 15px 10px 25px 10px; font-size: 34px; text-align: center; font-family: Arial Narrow, Arial, sans-serif; color: #1b478e; font-weight: bold; align="left" valign="top" class="editable-image scale" style="width: 100% !important;">[% text name="Headline Text" default="HEADLINE TEXT GOES HERE" %][%/ text %] </td> 

I could save as template without a problem. I've resaved your Rotary LA5 template with that new styling, and that is working just fine with save as template now! Let me know if you run into any further issues saving your templates.
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you so much for your dedication to this! This is good information to know when building templates in the future.

The weird characters have disappeared from the mailings (yay!) BUT now I've run into another issue...

For the new El Rodeo Template (El Rodeo 8/5) The yellow "this friday" bar is no longer aligned with the image below it. (See screenshot) However, in the D&D editor, they are aligned. (See El Rodeo New Template Test in campaigns)

Also for the Next 5 @ LA5 Template (Next 5 8/5), the blocks in the left column are duplicated when the mailing is sent out, but they are not present in the D&D editor. (See screenshot and Next 5 New Template Test in campaigns) 

Once again, thanks for all your help!