IT and ADA accessibility

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I am seeking a very specific response to IT and ADA accessibility and cannot seem to find anything on the site about this issue. How does Emma respond to federal compliance regulations?
Photo of Allen Yarnell Center for Student Success

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there -- We're not fully ADA compliant at this time. Can you speak a little more directly to your needs here? I might be able to suggest a good workaround depending on which part of the application you're working with, as some compliance items can be met based on how you build your mailings. 
Hi Emily,
We typically send very image based emails with text embedded into the file. Therefore, we need to ensure that as we transition from Outlook to Emma, we are ADA compliant and the text is still meaningful to the enduser, albeit "alternate text." If you can provide any workarounds outside of the alt text, particularly for the sake of readability to all users, that would be helpful.
Thank you,
AYCSS
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there -- Thanks for your patience here! 

Adding alternate text to your images and links is the way to go here! If you're creating a mailing in the Editor, adding links to text and adding images both give the opportunity to add alternate text. In the image modal there's an "Alternate text" field and in the link modal there's a "Tooltip" field which also adds alternate text to links. That alternate text will show up in the inbox.

That should meet the requirements you're looking for specifically for you images. If you're coding your own email, Emma will render alternate text in the inbox in that situation as well. You'll need to be sure to add the alt text yourself there in the HTML if you're coding your own email.
Photo of American River College

American River College

• 15 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi! We've had folks ask us about ADA compliance too. So adding the alt text to images and links takes care of those compliance concerns? Thank you for your help!
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  

While we are not fully ADA compliant, Emily's suggestion for the specific issue of making sure there is alternate text in case images aren't shown is still the best way to go!  

If you have more specific questions that I can help out with, let me know! 

- G