Links no longer work after final review and send when Google Analytics are applied.

  • 0
  • 2
  • Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hello,

I've ran into a few instances (including my most recent mailing) where I have a link grouped to either copy or an image. Everything is working and linking when I preview the email and send a test email. When I send it however, the links no longer work. Any idea why this might happen? 

Thanks,

Jennie
Photo of Jennie Eukel

Jennie Eukel

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

  • 0
  • 2
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Jennie -- Let's get a few more details here so that I can dig into this!

First, I'll need your account name and the name of the mailing you're working in. I also need to know if this is happening in a specific email client or across the board. Can you also let me know if you have linked the mailing to Google Analytics? Thanks!!
Photo of Jennie Eukel

Jennie Eukel

  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Emily,

The account is Greenspring Media and the sent publication is "Publication—MNMO Culture, November 3, 2014"

I'm looking specifically at the "New Vintage" event portion of the mailing. The links aren't working on the sent email.

This is happening in all email clients. 

I did add a GA name when I sent the eblast. 

Thanks!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hey Jennie -- The culprit here is most likely the GA name added before the final review and send. 

If I take your link and use the Google Analytics URL builder to create a trackable link, I get the same error outside of Emma, so it's something in the way your website is handling the tracking. Here's the link for Google's URL Builder. If you use this -- for example, use newsletter as the source, email as the medium and test as the mailing name -- and the URL that's generated goes to the same error page on your site, then the issue has to do with your website.

That URL Builder tool is a great way to at least figure out if it's something that's only happening in Emma, or if it would happen with the link outside of Emma when Google Analytics is added, which is the case here. 

I would also be sure to add the alternate text to those links just to cover all the bases!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

  • 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Jennie, I've also updated the subject line here so that other users can find this conversation more easily!
Photo of Travel Salem

Travel Salem

  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have a similar issue with one particular link. I checked the link with the Google URL Builder. It worked outside of Emma. We send an e-blast every Friday. All links have been fine, except for this one. Here is the problem link: http://www.lancastermall.com/.
Thanks!
Photo of Adriane Smith

Adriane Smith, Customer Support Specialist

  • 506 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Hi there! Adriane, jumping in for Emily here. I took a look at the mailing in question, and I've spotted what was causing your link trouble when you did your review and send of your mailing. It looks like you've applied Google Analytics tracking to your send, and with some links, the Google Analytics tracking code that's appended by Google to each of the links in your mailing breaks the validity of the URL. 

When using the Google Analytics URL builder to test the link, I include the link you provided and also put in newsletter as the source, email as the medium, and the mailing name you actually used upon send (Travel Salem Event News ~ December 19, 2014). In this case, the URL generated by the test does go to an error page, which is why you are seeing it break when you send the mailing. 

I did some further testing though, and it does seem that it is the mailing name that is causing to append the link in such a way that is causing it to break when using Google Analytics. If you can alter the mailing name, you may have a better experience. I tried my test again, and deleted everything after the word 'News' in the mailing name, and that test resulted in a functional link. It may be something in the hyphen or ~ that is causing the trouble. 

Go ahead and try it again for yourself if you'd like, and remember to send yourself a copy through review/send to check your links. If you still have trouble with this, feel free to reach back out!