RSS to email feature

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
I would love if Emma looked into hosting a sort of Feedburner feature that linked with blog/websites to post and share content to RSS subscribers (like MailChimp). Right now our business uses Google Feedburner (an app that has no support and is rumored to be taken offline) on top of our monthly Emma eNewsletters. Would be nice if they were connected.
Photo of Jessica Johnson

Jessica Johnson

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for your great question, Jessica! We're looking into this and hope to have an answer for you soon.
Photo of Kelli Liszka

Kelli Liszka, Official Rep

• 31 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi Jessica,
I'm the Product Owner for the new Drag & Drop Editor, and Katie asked me to jump in here. I wanted to ask you for a little more clarification on exactly what you'd like to see.

Are you looking for a replacement for Google Feedburner that works identically? If that's the case, I don't believe it's currently on our roadmap. However, we have discussed two other, separate RSS scenarios as a possibility.

First, some customers have asked about the ability to add an RSS feed to an email campaign. For example, taking the embed code for your RSS feed and adding it to a campaign to automatically pull the headlines and links to the last five (or so) stories.

Second, a more advanced approach would be building a tool to integrate your blog with Emma that would trigger an email to be sent each time an article is posted to the blog. Your readers would have the option to determine the frequency that they wish to receive these emails.

Both of these options are in the early phases of discussion, but we would love to get feedback and input from our users as we shape the features.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Jessica, I'm sorry if you received a notification of Kelli's response a few times -- We were having some technical difficulties we've since corrected!
Photo of Suzanne Myers Jewelry

Suzanne Myers Jewelry

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Kelli for this response.

"Second, a more advanced approach would be building a tool to integrate your blog with Emma that would trigger an email to be sent each time an article is posted to the blog. Your readers would have the option to determine the frequency that they wish to receive these emails. "

This exactly what I am hoping for, as I will have to use Feedburner right now to be able to do this.

Jim Myers
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
I want to follow up after our product team's extensive research into how other companies have implemented RSS to email and what we think would be most useful to to Emma users who expect an easy-to-use platform.

In researching this feature and how it’s implemented by others, we came across three consistent problems:

1. First, because of the technical nature of RSS, building an easy-to-use feature around this can be pretty challenging. We found many complaints about these features being difficult to use and difficult to interpret via the response results.
  2. Second, because RSS pulls in content from another source, it can be very difficult to ensure that every email will format correctly. When you aren’t controlling the ingredients, it’s hard to guarantee a palatable final product. This was a major source of complaint for those who use features like this as well.
  3. Finally, in trying to discern overall usage of this feature, we found that it typically accounted for less than 0.3% of total campaigns sent. To us, that says that folks are either using services that are built into their blogging platforms to manage this service (like Feedburner, for instance), or they are sharing their content in different ways, likely via Twitter, Facebook and other social channels.

Because of that small number and the complexity involved in building this feature, we've decided to say no to RSS to email. If the demand changes in the future, we can always revisit the decision.
Photo of Jessica Johnson

Jessica Johnson

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the update, Katie! Good to know.

We are currently using Feedburner from Google, but have heard lots of rumors that Google will soon pull the plug on this feature (they have already disassembled all the support team for Feedburner). Especially if Feedburner goes away, I think MyEmma would have an easy in to take over that feature for customers, as I'm sure we're not the only ones who use two separate features.
Photo of Skyline Music

Skyline Music

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Does MyEmma have an RSS to Email Feature?.

Like this: http://mailchimp.com/features/rss-to-email/
Photo of Elaine Shannon

Elaine Shannon

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I'm disappointed to hear this is not planned. I would definitely use this feature. As it stands now, I'll have to cobble together some PHP to parse the RSS feed, dump it out as formatted HTML, and then copy & paste the HTML into Emma manually. Disappointed it won't be done automatically since MailChimp and several other providers offer this functionality.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled embed twitter code not working.

I created a Twitter Widget and pasted the code into a text box on my newsletter, but it is not showing up on my page. How do I get my twitter feed to show in my newsletter?
Photo of Sara Dunn

Sara Dunn

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
+1 on needing this.  My client posts to their blog regularly twice a week and would like their posts to email to subscribers automatically.  I can't believe we can't do this from Emma.

I should mention that they currently use Mailchimp's RSS-to-Email campaign type for this, and it was easy to set up and works well.  What a pain that we need to maintain two lists for them so they can use Emma for their other brands.
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I'm sorry to hear it, Sara! I can see how valuable this would be for your client.

We log each instance of a feature request and tie it to the account making the request. I'm not finding your account -- Do you mind letting me know the name, and I'll get this added?
Photo of Sara Dunn

Sara Dunn

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply, Katie.  I'm a user on my client's account:  Catalyst University  [redacted by community manager]

Is there an option other than RSS for automatically emailing blog posts from Emma?  Or a way to sync a mailing list with Mailchimp?  Just want to make sure I'm thinking of all the possibilities.

Thank you!
Sara
(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thank you, Sara! I've recorded this and linked it to your client's account.

I double-checked with one of our product owners to make sure I wasn't missing a workaround, and RSS to email just isn't a capability we have right now. I'll update this thread with any changes to that.
Photo of Anne Miles

Anne Miles

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd really like to see this happen. just chiming in. 
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks Anne!
Photo of Jonathan S.

Jonathan S.

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I need this as well! Shocking that Mailchimp offers it so effortlessly, but Emma does not. It makes me nervous to continue with Feedburner. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks, Jon! I'll see if I can get an update for you on this one.
Photo of Cedarville University

Cedarville University

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We have a mailing list and campaign set up in MailChimp specifically because they have this feature. It would be great to move that to Emma with the rest of our email lists.
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

@Cedarville We totally agree, which is why we created the kurate.it plugin which will allow you to pass content from Emma to WordPress.  We are still a month or so away from launch, BUT we have started accepting beta testers.  Please go to kurate.it, sign up for the beta test email list so you can start learning about kurate.it.  By signing up for the list, you will be the first to know when we open up beta testing so you can receive 50% the first year of the subscription.  

Just for clarification, as Grey said, kurate.it is a service completely outside of Emma.

Cedarville University

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
John - First, I think you are writing this description backward--isn't your plugin passing info from WordPress to Emma (that's what the website says)? Second, this doesn't help us. We aren't using WordPress. Nor do we want to add yet another monthly fee.
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry to hear that.  And yes, happy Monday to me.  Thanks for pointing out my error.  This plugin passes information FROM WordPress to Emma.  
Photo of Skyline Music

Skyline Music

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i would also love that feature

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi friends -- I've updated the status here to Under consideration as we collect more use cases and work to prioritize this kind of feature development.

Cedarville University

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Great news! Thanks for the update.
Photo of Anne Miles

Anne Miles

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
woot!! go Team Emma!
Photo of Skyline Music

Skyline Music

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please, please
Photo of GRafol

GRafol

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, definitely need. Very disappointed to see that this isn't a standard feature. Both MailChimp and Constant Contact allow pulling content in via RSS.

For our purposes, I can manually type in and format a "feed" into the email. It's just time consuming. Was not expecting to add this to my workflow.
Photo of William H. Adams

William H. Adams

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We need this too, so much so that now that I see above from the comments that Mail chip has this we may switch to them if emma doesn't add it soon. If you need a guide as to how to read RSS formats into templates take a look at Zapier's RSS tool. If I could get that to send emails through emma I would.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1698 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there, I'm going to add you to the list!  Thanks so much!  I don't have a timeline on this yet, but I do know that we're still looking at it along with some other upgrades this year.  

Cheers!

- G
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If you are using WordPress and would like a RSS to Email like feature, we have built an integration and are going through the final beta tests.   Stay tuned!
Photo of CantaloupeDigi

CantaloupeDigi

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Great news - thank you.  When will it be ready?
Also happy to be involved in the testing
(Edited)
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

@CantaloupeDigi We would love to have you as a beta tester for the kurate.it plugin which will allow you to pass content from WordPress to Emma.  We are still a month or so away from launch, BUT we have started accepting beta testers.  Please go to kurate.it, sign up for the beta test email list so you can start learning about kurate.it.  By signing up for the list, you will be the first to know when we open up beta testing so you can receive 50% the first year of the subscription.  

Just for clarification, kurate.it is a service completely outside of Emma.
(Edited)
Photo of Post-Bulletin

Post-Bulletin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Glad to see this is finally coming.  How do we get access to the Wordpress beta?
Photo of Natalie Grande

Natalie Grande

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Emily Hollingsworth & John Housholder - how can I get on the beta group to test? If not, would you please contact me when it is completed? nataliegrande at cbbainseal dot com or 4254569596. Thank you!!!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1698 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  The integration John referenced is going to be outside of Emma.  We'll let him reach out to you about getting access to that beta.  

John, we're super interested in that too... so we'd love to hear a bit more about your integration once you get it ready! 
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Natalie, thanks for your interest in the kurate.it plugin which will allow you to pass content from Emma to WordPress.  We are still a month or so away from launch, BUT we have started accepting beta testers.  Please go to kurate.it, sign up for the beta test email list so you can start learning about kurate.it.  By signing up for the list, you will be the first to know when we open up beta testing so you can receive 50% the first year of the subscription.  

Just for clarification, as Grey said, kurate.it is a service completely outside of Emma.

Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1698 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
hey John, just for clarification on my end, your plugin is for passing information FROM Emma TO a WordPress site, and not the other way around?  
Photo of John Housholder

John Housholder

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Grey, wow, hello Monday!  This plugin passes information TO Emma FROM WordPress. 
Photo of GRafol

GRafol

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is Emma working on a standard feature for RSS, outside of this third-party WordPress plugin? 

My organization doesn't use WP, but a proprietary AMS/CMS. But it spits out a standard RSS. We're not even using this for standard news or blog articles, rather it's for job listings that we want to email out once a month.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1698 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
We don't have anything currently in the works, but I will certainly post on here if we have any news to that effect.