Sending restored and links are functioning properly

  • 3
  • Announcement
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

We are currently researching an issue regarding broken links in Emma mailings.

The common symptom is a browser error that reads, "The requested URL could not be retrieved.” Because this is a widespread problem affecting all links in Emma mailings, we temporarily disabled the ‘Send’ button in Campaigns to minimize its impact..

This was a tough decision for us to make, but we made it in an effort to avoid confusing and frustrating your audience. As soon as the problem is resolved, we’ll reinstate the Send function and post an update here.

Here are a few extra details:

We know that this issue does not reside in the Emma platform.

The problem is related to a DNS (Domain Name System) issue with the e2.ma domain, which automatically becomes part of every link in your mailings so we can track click activity in Response.

We’re working to resolve the problem as quickly as possible, but we're dependent on a third party for the restoration of that domain. We don’t have an estimated time to resolution, but everyone is aware of how urgent the need for resolution is.

We are currently testing an interim solution that we believe will allow us to reactivate the ability to send. We are working quickly to roll that out this evening.

We know this problem is affecting some time-sensitive mailings in our customer community. We’re doing everything we can to limit the disruption and inconvenience, and in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and support today.

Click 'follow' in the upper right if you would like to receive notification when we post updates here.

Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

  • 3
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Official Response
Good news for those who have been waiting to send mailings today: We’ve just enabled the Send function in everyone’s accounts.

Immediately after becoming aware of this issue this morning, we started communication with our domain registrar. At the same time, our developers began building a fix so that we were not completely tied to their time frame. Our team worked quickly today to build a new link redirect system that does not use the e2.ma domain.

While we tested the system internally, it hasn't been run through our normal battery of tests. For best results, we do still recommend waiting until we’ve announced that our e2.ma domain has been reinstated. The most significant reason to wait is that a change in link URLs might have a negative impact on the delivery of your mailing. We’re still waiting for official word from the registrar on that front, but we’ll share news as soon as we have it.

One issue with this quick fix is that campaign thumbnails are not loading correctly. This means you will see no campaign thumbnail on your Emma Response page or if you post a link to your online version from your social media page.

If you notice anything inconsistent with your normal Emma experience, please let us know right away so we can address it. And keep in mind that e2.ma links in previously sent mailings still won’t work — not until our domain is restored by the registrar.

Again, thanks from all of us at Emma.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

  • 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Official Response
A final update on the recent issue with redirect links in Emma mailings:

Sending was restored for all customers on March 3 at 8:50 pm US Central and continues to function properly.

As of 7:15 am US Central on March 4, all links (regardless of when a mailing was sent) were restored and are now working correctly.

Here are a few additional details concerning yesterday’s outage:

Yesterday’s link outage was related to a system failure that is highly unlikely in an application like ours. We realize that it is our responsibility to have processes in place that keep our system running smoothly. A problem with a domain registrar is something we didn't have, or expect to need, a backup for. Since this unlikely event did happen, we responded quickly by modifying our application to allow our customers to send and track campaigns without the reliance on the affected domain. We’re continuing to employ this modification until full confidence in our domain registrar has been restored. Our team here is working with our domain registrar so that we fully understand what in their processes allowed yesterday's interruption to occur. We will also be looking at other options on the registrar front to limit these types of interruptions in the future.

You can rest assured that we do understand the impact of a disruption like this. I’ve said this in my previous posts, but it bears repeating: We’re so grateful to our amazing customers for your support and patience. You guys are the best.