Sending restored and links are functioning properly

• Announcement
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

We are currently researching an issue regarding broken links in Emma mailings.

The common symptom is a browser error that reads, "The requested URL could not be retrieved.” Because this is a widespread problem affecting all links in Emma mailings, we temporarily disabled the ‘Send’ button in Campaigns to minimize its impact..

This was a tough decision for us to make, but we made it in an effort to avoid confusing and frustrating your audience. As soon as the problem is resolved, we’ll reinstate the Send function and post an update here.

Here are a few extra details:

We know that this issue does not reside in the Emma platform.

The problem is related to a DNS (Domain Name System) issue with the e2.ma domain, which automatically becomes part of every link in your mailings so we can track click activity in Response.

We’re working to resolve the problem as quickly as possible, but we're dependent on a third party for the restoration of that domain. We don’t have an estimated time to resolution, but everyone is aware of how urgent the need for resolution is.

We are currently testing an interim solution that we believe will allow us to reactivate the ability to send. We are working quickly to roll that out this evening.

We know this problem is affecting some time-sensitive mailings in our customer community. We’re doing everything we can to limit the disruption and inconvenience, and in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and support today.

Click 'follow' in the upper right if you would like to receive notification when we post updates here.

Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ryan

Ryan

• 8 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I'm also now getting inquiries about an invitation we sent last week - the links to RSVP aren't working... Can we have confirmation the the links from previous emails sent will be restored? And how far back does this issue go (last week? last month?).
Photo of Potential Corporation Ltd

Potential Corporation Ltd

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Emma....by stopping me sending e mails I now cannot send my customers an e mail explaining that I cannot send them my links....at least if you temporarily enable the Review & send button I can explain to my customers why they have not heard from me....by doing what you have done i now cannot stay in contact at all with my customers unless I was to send individual e mails, which is totally impractical. Now we all know that the links dont work why dont you re enable the review & Send function so that we can at least have a dialogue with our customers?....i am now getting lots of complaints from my customers....PLEASE HELP
Photo of WCREALTORS

WCREALTORS

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can't you just use outlook for the time being? 
Photo of PSU Non-Credit Solutions BAOG45

PSU Non-Credit Solutions BAOG45

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My links have worked within the Test emails, can you restore the button on my account already? We cannot have no access to this service we pay for because of an error with links that we may not even be using within our marketing email. Should we expect a prorated bill this month based on the unfortunate timing and self proclaimed restriction to the service we are not receiving?
Photo of BOHO

BOHO

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Come on Kyle it's been 2+ hours since your last update.
Photo of Team Green Adventures

Team Green Adventures

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Boulder, I believe they are doing everything in their power. Sometimes things like this happens, and it sounds like it isn't just Emma who is having this problem. Do you have another option for outreach, like Facebook/Twitter/Radio PSA announcements (they're usually free for non-profits). This way you can at least reach some of your audience.

Photo of BOHO

BOHO

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Team Green - I have been doing that since 8:00 AM this morning. The difference is that others will lose customers and money, we might lose lives...
Photo of WCREALTORS

WCREALTORS

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You can you outlook for the time being, there are other alternative methods...
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We now have additional information concerning the broken links in Emma mailings, which is that we’ve confirmed the issue does not reside in the Emma platform.

The problem is related to a DNS (Domain Name System) issue with the e2.ma domain. We are working with appropriate third parties to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. But because we're dependent on a third party for the restoration of that domain, we don’t have an estimated time to resolution.

We know this problem is affecting some time-sensitive mailings in our customer community. We’re doing everything we can to limit the disruption and inconvenience, and in the meantime, we appreciate your patience and support today.

(Edited)
Photo of PMI

PMI

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for working at it and keeping up with the updates!
Photo of NV-OC-NVL

NV-OC-NVL

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. I know how frustrating this can be...

Photo of New Horizons CHC

New Horizons CHC

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
will we receive a credit on our accounts for lost time?
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi New Horizons, I will be glad to reach out to you directly to learn more about the impacts of this event on your business. You can expect to hear from me soon.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Many of our customers have asked if we can allow text-only mailings to be sent through Emma during this time. Unfortunately we can’t, and here’s why: In order for Emma to comply with federal CAN-SPAM regulations, every mailing must contain a working opt-out link. And the opt-out link, just like any other Emma-powered links in your mailing, depends on service through the e2.ma domain. I hope that information helps clarify our decision. We'll reactivate the send function as soon as possible.
Photo of AGC of Washington

AGC of Washington

• 91 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks, Kyle; I trust that you're all working hard to resolve this. Please keep us posted on any developments (or even non-developments)...
Photo of NWCB

NWCB

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Online version of my mailing cannot be found.

I sent our a scheduled mailing at 6 am on 2/28 and had scheduled it to be shared on Facebook as well.  I appears that the mailing did go out, but the social media share did not happen, and the online version of the mailing cannot be found.  When I click on the online version, I get this error: Oops! Google Chrome could not find e2.ma

Is this a know issue?  Will I be able to get to the online version?
Photo of FirstNet Learning

FirstNet Learning

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Not being able to send is really hindering our business.  When will this issue be fixed?????
Photo of Sam Rubin

Sam Rubin

• 10 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Is it not possible to redirect the e2.ma domain to something else, an Amazon Web Services URL in the meanwhile?
Photo of Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University

Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University, Champion

• 99 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
No Sam. From Kyle's note this has to do with the domain registrar. It's like every .com address going down. A simple redirect won't work in this instance.
Photo of Estemerwalt Log Home

Estemerwalt Log Home

• 1 Post
  • 4 Reply Likes
This problem is holding us up -- I would like an ETA on the fix, please. 
Photo of Gegrapha

Gegrapha

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I would add our concern about the situation. Our time-sensitive mailing is losing value with the delay. We appreciate the explanations of your problem-solving. Whenever you solve it, I am sure that the rest of us would like to know what precautions we all should take viz our own domains to avoid this problem or problems.
Photo of Potential Corporation Ltd

Potential Corporation Ltd

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Sorry Emma....this has taken too long. I am having to move to another provider simply to make contact with my customers.
Photo of Sam Rubin

Sam Rubin

• 10 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Kyle... I have found a glitch that allows you to still send a campaign. Can someone please reach out to me so that I can inform you of it. I do not want to post it here, as it will allow others to send a campaign and may delay a fix on your part. You can reach me on my phone number in my Agency Account (Restaurant eMarketing) or Sam Farkas or Shamille Wharton will have my phone number (I don't want to post it here).
Photo of Radbuyer

Radbuyer

• 2 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
It sure seems like a lot of the customer base isn't listening. It's akin to abandoning your local restaurant because they have a power outage and can't make you breakfast today. This is not being caused by Emma. It's a global infrastructure problem that Emma is being affected by. Everybody has some downtime. Amazon. Gmail. Everyone.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We’re continuing to work towards an interim solution on our end that will allow us to re-enable the Send function in Emma. The fix involves a lot of testing and an official code release, and at this point, we anticipate the Send function to be working again within a couple of hours.

For those of you who must send urgently, you might be able to take that action then. But if your mailing is not time-sensitive we encourage you to wait to send until we've announced that our e2.ma domain has been reinstated.

As for links in mailings sent prior to us disabling the Send function, the timeline is less clear. We’re working directly with our registrar to reinstate our e2.ma domain, but we have no estimate for when that will occur. Once the domain is reinstated, all links in previous mailings will work just fine. We’ll continue to provide updates here as the timeline becomes more clear.

We know this problem causes a serious disruption in your marketing and communication efforts — ours, too — and we’re very sorry for that. It’s not something we take lightly.

Thanks again for your patience. Our customers really are the greatest.

(Edited)
It sounds like this problem was not caused by Emma and like you are doing everything possible to resolve it, and/or enable an interim solution, as soon as possible. Thanks.
Photo of Community Bank & Trust

Community Bank & Trust

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It does seem like there should be a back-up plan, redundancy, something... rather than leave thousands of customers unable to send emails. We had a weather-related communication...
Photo of Aria Group Architects

Aria Group Architects

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good luck with resolving this and thanks for the updates!
Photo of Larry Jacobs Weight Loss

Larry Jacobs Weight Loss

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
any updates?
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Official Response
Good news for those who have been waiting to send mailings today: We’ve just enabled the Send function in everyone’s accounts.

Immediately after becoming aware of this issue this morning, we started communication with our domain registrar. At the same time, our developers began building a fix so that we were not completely tied to their time frame. Our team worked quickly today to build a new link redirect system that does not use the e2.ma domain.

While we tested the system internally, it hasn't been run through our normal battery of tests. For best results, we do still recommend waiting until we’ve announced that our e2.ma domain has been reinstated. The most significant reason to wait is that a change in link URLs might have a negative impact on the delivery of your mailing. We’re still waiting for official word from the registrar on that front, but we’ll share news as soon as we have it.

One issue with this quick fix is that campaign thumbnails are not loading correctly. This means you will see no campaign thumbnail on your Emma Response page or if you post a link to your online version from your social media page.

If you notice anything inconsistent with your normal Emma experience, please let us know right away so we can address it. And keep in mind that e2.ma links in previously sent mailings still won’t work — not until our domain is restored by the registrar.

Again, thanks from all of us at Emma.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We are glad to report that ALL links are once again working properly.
Photo of BOHO

BOHO

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Kyle, Just to clarify you have the domain issue fixed too?
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi, Yes all links routing through the e2.ma domain are now functioning properly. This means any links in previously sent campaigns will work. Also, any campaign you send from this point forward will be supported. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Photo of Philanthropy

Philanthropy

• 1 Post
  • 4 Reply Likes
Kyle and Emma, thank you for working so diligently to fix this -- and most importantly, providing ongoing communication regarding the issue.  For as frustrated as we were, I can only imagine how your team felt; and you did the very best you could with a terrible situation.  That said -- now that it's fixed, I am very grateful!  Thanks for your hard work!
Photo of Red Cup Agency

Red Cup Agency

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, seconding that. Glad for all the updates - it really helps to be kept in the loop.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Official Response
A final update on the recent issue with redirect links in Emma mailings:

Sending was restored for all customers on March 3 at 8:50 pm US Central and continues to function properly.

As of 7:15 am US Central on March 4, all links (regardless of when a mailing was sent) were restored and are now working correctly.

Here are a few additional details concerning yesterday’s outage:

Yesterday’s link outage was related to a system failure that is highly unlikely in an application like ours. We realize that it is our responsibility to have processes in place that keep our system running smoothly. A problem with a domain registrar is something we didn't have, or expect to need, a backup for. Since this unlikely event did happen, we responded quickly by modifying our application to allow our customers to send and track campaigns without the reliance on the affected domain. We’re continuing to employ this modification until full confidence in our domain registrar has been restored. Our team here is working with our domain registrar so that we fully understand what in their processes allowed yesterday's interruption to occur. We will also be looking at other options on the registrar front to limit these types of interruptions in the future.

You can rest assured that we do understand the impact of a disruption like this. I’ve said this in my previous posts, but it bears repeating: We’re so grateful to our amazing customers for your support and patience. You guys are the best.