Ray Bradbury template layout is reversed in a copy of an older mailing

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I made a copy of a previous newsletter to get started in writing a new monthly newsletter, and the layout was reversed. How can I get my old template layout back? I am seeking immediate help, please, for a deadline today. Thank you.
Photo of UCSB Graduate Student Resource Center

UCSB Graduate Student Resource Center

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! I’m glad to take a look — What are the names of the original and copied mailings?
Thanks, Katie.
Original: May 2014 Graduate Post E-Newsletter for Grad Students
Copied: July 2014 Graduate Post E-Newsletter for Grad Students
Katie, if you "view" the original mailing, it's fine (single column on the left, wider column on the right). But if you click on the original mailing to open it up in an editor, it too is reversed. That's not how it was created initially.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks! This is odd, indeed. I’m curious how you ever got the Ray Bradbury template to have the skinny column on the left in your original. By default, this template’s skinny column is on the right, and it can’t be manipulated. Do you remember anything funky happening when you created the original mailing in May?

I’m experiencing the same as you when making a copy. I tried in my account starting fresh with Ray Bradbury, sending it and then making a copy of that mailing, but the columns didn’t switch.

I’m trying to track down a designer here before everyone splits for the holiday weekend to see if anything about this template might have changed since May. The only change I know of was with the template wrapper; we released a new footer area and moved the social sharing options in mid-June. I wouldn’t think that that would affect these columns, though.

Are you looking to create a copy of this mailing because you still want the skinny column on the left or because you don’t want to have to reformat the text in your new mailing? If the former, that won’t be possible here, since Ray Bradbury’s skinny column is on the right. If the latter, I might suggest starting fresh anyhow — I’m noticing a lot of built-up code in the HTML behind these text boxes that could cause issues. The copy I made already weighs in at 67.09 KB (we recommend 40) before making any changes.

I know that’s a bear when you wanted the ease of working from your original version, but this template switcheroo coupled with some possibly problematic code has me thinking it wouldn’t be the best advice to keep working from this template.
Uggg. Lots of information that will unfortunately mean a lot of extra work for me, on a holiday getaway day as well. I'm not certain, but I believe that this template allowed me to switch the narrow column to the other side if I wanted to. That's how I got it to that spot in the first place. I'm guessing apparently there have been changes that do not now allow for that flexibility. I would like the narrow column on the left, as it always has been, but since that doesn't appear to be possible, I'll leave it on the right. I'll have to wait until a future mailing to start fresh with the Bradbury template, as I think it would take too much of my time today to do that. But thanks for mentioning that there is some possible problematic code in the template I keep working off of.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
I know, I’m sorry for such crummy news right before the holiday weekend. But the good news, I just heard from a designer, is that this template’s code itself has been improved.

What happened is that we revised this template’s mobile optimization in May — after you sent your original — to change how the sidebar works so that it doesn’t stack on top of the flexible area on mobile devices. That explains the mystery flip-flopping of columns!

I hope you’re able to get your work done and then leave it behind for an enjoyable day. :)
Thanks for the explanation, Katie. I may just start with a fresh template and get that out of the way now. I appreciate all your help! Happy 4th holiday!

Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Happy 4th to you, too!