Mailing looks fine in editor, but the content changes to a bunch of code when mailing is sent out

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: issue resolved

I had to edit a template for our client using template builder. When I look at the mailing in the editor, it looks fine. But when I sent it to myself there was a bunch of code instead of the content. See attached screenshots

This is the test email

This mailing is in info@enthusiastinc.com under MAP Consulting

Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • confused

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Karen -- I copied your "MAP Program test" email and sent a quick test to myself. Your email is coming through as expected to my inbox, and I'm not replicating this issue. Can you tell me what email client you're using to view that mailing? Thanks!
Photo of Enthusiast list agency

Enthusiast list agency

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Emily. I'm using Apple Mail and the client is using Outlook (I think 2010) 

I just resent the test and the mailing looks fine. I guess it fixed itself? Weird. I can forward the broken email I got yesterday if you want to look into this further
Photo of Enthusiast list agency

Enthusiast list agency

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, this is Karen. I'm not sure why but I keep getting logged in as this account...

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Karen -- It's logging you in under the Enthusiast Agency that houses the MAP Consulting account. No worries!
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So I just edited the link to the big image at the top via template builder and now the email is broken again....

https://t.e2ma.net/message/pvo0i/92jdir

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Taking another look!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Karen -- Thanks for your patience here. I found that your CSS classes repeat multiple times in different <style> tags. There is also a lot of commented out code in the CSS, but some of that is not closed out properly which is causing some of the HTML tags to act up. 

I suggest going through and cleaning up the template code by removing all of the repeated CSS up top and tidying up the commented out code. We often recommend HTML Tidy for this, which might be a good place to start. Thanks!
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks! I figured something like that happened since the template code is a bit old and outdated. I still think it's weird that it "fixed" itself in a day

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Karen -- It is a little strange, and I can't exactly pinpoint why the issue resolved itself and then cropped back up. Please do give us a shout if you run into this again!