Make custom fields appear in sign-up confirmation and notification email

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I would like a custom field to show up in the Confirmation window after someone signs up, and in the Email notification to them. I've tried using the shortcodes in brackets but that doesn't work. Please help make this happen!
Photo of NorfolkCounty

NorfolkCounty

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thanks for reaching out! This part of the account uses different tags than the personalization feature in the campaign editor, and there aren't many tags that can be used here. Here's the list -- it's basically just the ones you see on the screens:

[email_address]
[rsvp_email]
[optin_confirm_url]
[rsvp_name]
[manage_prefs]
[opt_out]

Please note that the personalization tags that are available for use in the campaigns section will not work in this part of the account.

You could also consider creating a custom trigger campaign that would be sent out automatically when someone signs up using your sign up form. That campaign would be built using the regular editor, so all of the personalization fields could be used. For more information on setting up a trigger, take a look at this article in our resources:

http://myemma.com/resources/how-to/se...

I hope this information helps, but let us know if you have further questions.
Photo of Portland Bureau of Transportation

Portland Bureau of Transportation

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I create a trigger campaign that shows the custom information that someone inputed in the email back to them? For example, if they inputed that they had filled out that they owned a Trek 820 bicycle, could that information be included in the trigger campaign? How? Thanks.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- You can add personalization to a mailing based on any contact field in your account. Sometimes, a custom field you've added to your account will be listed as "wildcard" in the personalization options (that used the be the default naming field in our system for custom fields).

You can see here that you have 4 Wildcard fields in your personalization menu:

I've worked out which Wildcard represents which custom field in your contact records:

Wildcard 1355569 - School
Wildcard 1357044 - Primary Commute Mode
Wildcard 1357045 - Region
Wildcard 1357147 - Primary Neighborhood Mode

I can have those names updated to match the field names if you'd like! Just keep in mind that if I do that, any segments or existing campaigns using those fields as personalization will have to be updated.
Photo of Portland Bureau of Transportation

Portland Bureau of Transportation

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What about a plaintext field imported in a new contact list?

I have two headings on my contact list that I'd like to include in the trigger email when people sign up for the list, but they are not any of these current fields. 
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- if you have contact information in your import file that doesn't match any of the field options in your account, you can create those new fields using the Manage Contact Fields button on the Audience page. Then when you go to import that file, your new fields will be available for mapping data. Those new fields will also be listed as options in your personalization menu (shown above).

Let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Mack Institute

Mack Institute

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd like to create a signup confirmation email with an an image (our banner), and therefore I'm trying to create a trigger instead.

However, the personalization tags from the signup area are not working when I copy-and-paste them into the campaign editor.  Or at least they don't appear to when I preview it.

Can you offer any advice?  Thanks!
Photo of Ben Vance

Ben Vance, Alum

• 328 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi!  The tags for the editor are going to be slightly different than the ones used in the sign-up confirmation email.  On the editor tool bar, look for the button labeled “Insert.”  Click that button and then choose Personalization to add in any tags that you need.