missing zip codes on list import

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

We've been having quite a bit of trouble getting our list into Emma. As a result, Ben uploaded our list. When he uploaded it, the "zip code" field did not populate. Yesterday I uploaded the list again, including the zip codes, and received the message that it was processing and I could visit other parts of the website. Came back this morning and still no zip codes and no idea where to check on what happened.
Photo of Hult Center for the Performing Arts

Hult Center for the Performing Arts

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi, and thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about the problem you have experienced with Emma not accepting your zip code field.

Due to the complexity of formatting that can exist in a .xls or .xlsx file it may be simplest for us to troubleshoot this by email rather than in our public community.

If you are continuing to have trouble importing please attach your spreadsheet to an email directed to support@myemma.com. From there we can perform some testing and get back to you.

Please feel free to post here if you have any additional questions. We are able to field most customer inquiries here.
Photo of Hult Center for the Performing Arts

Hult Center for the Performing Arts

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, Kyle,
I have been trying to troubleshoot this via email for over a month. Responses from support -for this problem and all the others we've had so far - typically take 24-48 hours to arrive and never completely solve the problem. Several of them have been due to bugs. We are still not using Emma because we've never been able to get enough issues resolved to get started. Compared with our last two email companies, where we were up and running within 24 hours, I've been taking some serious heat for my choice to try Emma.

Ben in your support department finally ended up importing the list for us, but the zip codes did not/will not import. He said it was due to a few of the addresses including dashes - which are standard formatting for zip4 information. Even without those addresses, editing the zip field on a record by record bases appends a "." to the zip code, and the addresses without dashes don't import at all.
Photo of Kyle Floyd

Kyle Floyd, Official Rep

• 178 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Hi,

In looking through our case records here, I confirmed that we helped you through email on November 8th. I wanted to post a reply here in case anyone else has been following along with this thread.

In the end it appears we were able to get the zip code data imported into this account correctly. The zip codes had to be added using the Emma field called Postal Code rather than a numeric data custom field. That field type only accepts numeric data - so dashes in the zip+four format weren't being accepted in that specific field type.

The postal code field in Emma is a better route to take here. Once that field limitation was discovered, the import completed correctly.

If there is any lingering problem here, please let us know by posting a reply.

Best!