Make images 100% wide on mobile-responsive email templates

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Why does Emma force mobile images to a certain width even if the image size is larger? I want my images on mobile to be 100% wide, but even if I upload high-rez images (ie 500px wide) and select best fit, these images are downscaled on mobile and look odd.
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • annoyed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Emma Holland

Emma Holland, Alum

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there! 

The Emma editor resamples the images you insert, so whatever size that appears on desktop, will be the same size on mobile, unless its wider on mobile screen, in which case it will scale down. Right now were unfortunately not able to scale larger on mobile. 

You can check out this article to understand image sizes in Emma. 

If you'd like me to take a look at your mailing, just let me know the account you're in and the name of the mailing you're working on.

Thanks! 
Photo of Karen D.

Karen D.

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is there plans in the future to allow this? Seems strange for the mobile version to be pulling the sizing from the desktop version as opposed to the original linked file
Photo of Emma Holland

Emma Holland, Alum

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there, 

This is definitely a great feature request I will add to your account, but unfortunately I don't have a timeline on when these changes will be made. 

I hope the image article will provide some helpful insight, but let us know if there's anything else! 

Take care! 
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! I'm stepping in for Emma after talking with our Product Team to learn more about how this works and what plans we have in the future.

When a mailing is rendered at time of send, our editor saves the image at the desktop mailing size -- so if it's set to be 100px wide in the desktop version, it's rendered and saved that way upon being sent. If that is smaller than 100% width of a mobile device, the mobile version would need to "blow up" the image and therefore, of course, impact image quality.

So the real solution would be to render the image at a mobile-friendlier size and then scale it down for the desktop version (but it's the same actual image, so this would still be inbox-friendly), yet this changes a whole lot about our rendering process. It isn't something we're tackling right now, so I'm marking this as Not Planned, and we'll keep you in the loop as work advances. Thank you for sharing this!