New segment suddenly has fewer members

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Didn't hear back from community member

I created a new segment yesterday afternoon by combining 4 audience groups. The segment consists of contacts who are in group 1 OR group 2 OR group 3 OR group 4. I then used the segment as part of the audience for a mailing. Both when I created the segment and selected it as part of the audience, it showed about 12,000 members. But when I checked the mailing results 24 hours later, I discovered that the segment now contains only about 900 members. I have no idea what happened to the other 11,000+ members. The individual groups that make up the segment still have all their members, and there are only a few hundred duplicates across groups.
Photo of Kathryn

Kathryn

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Kathryn -- I'd love to dig into this! Which mailing did you see that lower segement audience number on? I'm not seeing any mailings listed in response that were sent to only 900 people. Based on that and the fact that the segment and groups still actually contain all of their members, I'm thinking this may have just been a glitch. Let me know so that I can take a look!
Photo of Kathryn

Kathryn

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It was the first Black Friday mailing, which went out to a total of 3,400 people; one of the segments in that audience is the one I had trouble with. When I sent the mailing, the segment showed as having over 12K members, with a total audience of just under 20K. When I checked the 24-hour results, however, I noticed that the mailing had delivered to only 3,400 people. So I investigated further and found that the 12K segment had dropped to around 900 members. I then checked the groups that make up that segment (there are 4 of them) and found that they all still had all their members. We re-sent the Black Friday mailing a few days later, and I selected all the groups individually that time (vs. using segments). It worked fine. So I went back and rebuilt the problem segment from scratch, using the same groups and rules. It shows the right number of members again; I'm planning to test it on a mailing later this week, so we'll see what happens then. I'm guessing you're right--it was probably just a glitch, maybe caused by all the traffic last week?
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey Kathryn -- That is really interesting. I would love to hear how your test mailing goes, as I've never seen this specific scenario before. We were experiencing some response delays before the holiday, so the varied numbers on the response page *could* be related. Let me know what you find!