Temporary sending interruption resolved

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: resolved

Is it possible your system is down?  Just sent test mailing and had perfect interaction.  Then sent final mailing and after 40 minutes nothing.  It is in the Sent tab.  Last sent: Unrecorded.
I've had Unrecorded before, and the email was distributed immediately.  This is different.
And a Saturday, so no support available for the two weekend days.  I don't want to duplicate the mailing.
Photo of d. b. stagg

d. b. stagg

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ms. Bond's Breakfast Club

Ms. Bond's Breakfast Club

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
did your campaign go out after all? and, after how long?
i'm just experiencing this for the first time this morning with a campaign.
Photo of Association of Research Libraries

Association of Research Libraries

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Me too. Sent a campaign out about 10 minutes ago and none of the emails have actually sent yet. Usually they start sending immediately.
Photo of Association of Research Libraries

Association of Research Libraries

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just called Emma support. They are working on this problem but they told me it was a one-time thing and had me try sending the campaign again. This time it worked and the emails started sending right away.
Photo of Ms. Bond's Breakfast Club

Ms. Bond's Breakfast Club

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks for letting me know!
i couldn't get through emma support, so i ended up just sending it out again and it also worked.
but, wasn't sure if it would send it twice.
first time i've had this problem.

good to know that the emma community board is quicker & more helpful than emma support.
again, thx for sharing this info.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi friends -- Thanks for your patience here. As Association of Research Libraries mentioned, we became aware of this issue early this morning and have been working to both resolve the issue and gain a better understanding of what caused the interruption in sending. 

I just received this update from our systems team, and want to share the information I have with you here. We've identifed two separate factors that may have caused a temporary interruption in your sending. 

Starting at 10:14 pm on Friday, the time on one of our machines that sends mailings was off by enough that it couldn’t send those mailings successfully, affecting a portion of the mailings we send. While we have systems in place to ensure consistent and accurate time, those systems failed. This morning, we corrected the failure and restarted many of the mailings that could be safely restarted. Some customers may have mailings that show as completed, but with 0 recipients. We did not restart those because we do not know if they have been resent as a new mailing by our customers. If you have a manually sent mailing or split test that is in the Completed tab of your Response page, you can safely resend that mailing if you haven’t already.

Additionally, we use Amazon for storage for mailings that are sent from a different data center. Beginning at about 3am this morning, Amazon began experiencing an intermittent problem with that infrastructure that prevents us from using that system. If we experience a failure, we do retry, and the vast majority of times it succeeds. There are at most 26 mailings of any type (trigger, notification, regular mailing, etc) that have been affected by this interruption. 

In short, any mailing that should have sent or sent to 0 recipients and is not either completed or cancelled will be retried. If you’re unsure of the status of your mailing, please feel free to share the account and mailing name here. I’ll take a look in your account to confirm the status and the best next steps for you!

I hate to hear that some of you weren’t able to reach us this morning. We are experiencing higher volume than usual today. I’m glad to see you found this conversation, as the community is your fastest line of support thanks to your fellow Emma users! Our support team is available by phone and email Monday through Friday, 5am to 7pm CST.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
After further digging, our systems team was able to identify which emails should have been sent automatically but did not send due to the timing issue mentioned above that started on late Friday night. We’ve pushed out any emails that would have been sent to only one recipient, such as notification, automated and trigger emails.

To clarify my earlier post, we are not manually pushing any scheduled or manually sent emails. We don’t want to risk duplicating a send that you may have already resent. If you have a sent or scheduled mailing listed on the Completed tab of Response that shows as sending to 0 recipients, you will need to resend or reschedule that mailing.

Let me know if you have any questions or aren't sure how to proceed based on the information here!