Opt out at server level?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I sent an email on July 16, called The Main Idea. 54 people from the same school district opted out as a result. Could this have been done at the server level? It's not possible that all 54 people did this on the same day.
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Healthy Communities of Brownsville

Healthy Communities of Brownsville

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If it's a school district changes r the server did this. School district have lots of filters
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Good morning! School District servers definitely tend to be more strict, so Healthy Communities I'd say you're on the right track. I've sent a note over to our delivery team for their input and grab their thoughts on this. I'll be sure to keep you posted once I hear back from them.

Thanks!
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hello! I heard back from our delivery team and it sounds like those are no longer valid email addresses. This gets a bit technical, but the first server accepted giving a message "250 Message Queued (Timeout Verifying RCPTs): 1 RCPTS." This message indicates that it accepted the email, but they don't know where to send it (RCPT is the receiving email address). This means that there is a lookup table for all addresses at the domain and the address is not found in that table. The initial server accepts it, reasoning that the end destination server might not know who it's for. When the end destination server doesn't know, it bounces it back to our feedback loop. 

With this all being said, those email address' should have hard bounced as opposed to opt-out. We have done some updates to our feedback loop, so moving forward should this scenario arise again those email address would be moved to error status. Hopefully this helps explain things a bit, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
OK, but what do we do about the 54 opt-outs? They will no longer receive our emails. Can you change them back to active? Can you tell if your system did this with other recipients?
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
We emailed them directly from gmail, and found that they are still valid addresses. We received out of office messages from 7 of them, and one person replied to us. Would you please restore them to active? I can't make 54 of our members complete opt-in forms. It would be embarrassing.
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Good morning and thank you for the additional info! I wanted to let you know I'm working on getting those folks opted back in and will be sure to post a quick note once I've got those completed.

Thanks again!
Photo of Tyler Scott

Tyler Scott, Employee

• 805 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hello again! I've got those folks opted back in, so you're good to go. Please let me know if I can assist further.

Happy Friday!
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks!