Our recent mailer was sent to various GSA email addresses and our open rate tanked.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I would like to identify if this low open rate  is because the message is going to junk mail or if this mailer was just that unappealing to open. Any input would be helpful as we have a series  of emails to be sent to this group.
Photo of Pigott

Pigott

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jason Keary

Jason Keary, Official Rep

• 31 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi!

Jason from Emma Support here.

In looking at the record, it appears that the email probably went to these addresses spam folders. Internet service providers these days are doing their best not only ensure the legitimacy of inbound emails, but to also minimize the chances of their users receiving spam. Many of these service providers have begun to use a program called Sender ID which utilizes something called an SPF record to ensure that you are authorized to use the email address that you are sending from. Making sure that Emma is listed on your SPF record is important since Emma will be sending emails on your behalf.

Here is a great article in the Emma resource center giving an overview of what an SPF record is:

https://support.e2ma.net/Resource_Center/Account_how-to/What's_an_SPF_record%3F

It is quick and easy to update your SPF record with your email administrator. Here is another article in the resource center about creating (or updating) your SPF record using the SPF wizard at pobox.com:

https://support.e2ma.net/Resource_Center/Account_how-to/Instructions_for_setting_up_Emma_as_an_autho...

I hope this helps and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

- Jason

Photo of Pigott

Pigott

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Jason. We just checked into our SPF and it seems like nothing has changed. One thing that did stand out to me is that we have 3 other programs within that spf line for 2 other programs that send automated emails. Will this affect it? Could we be entering those multiple items wrong? I just want to make sure we are correctly addressing this as our open rate was so drastically low compared to other mailings.
Photo of Jason Keary

Jason Keary, Official Rep

• 31 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi,

You are very welcome. Traditionally speaking, government domains are much more restricted than most others including B2B domains. If you have any contracts with these agencies, you may be able to reach out through that channel. In this case, I would recommend sending a campaign asking these recipients to add you to their address book so their inbox could recognize your emails are coming from an approved source.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

- Jason