Create a PDF of an email campaign

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Implemented!

The ability to create a PDF of a campaign would be useful tool for many of us. Sometimes collaborative meetings need printouts and there are situations where sending an Emma message is not possible but maintaining the look of a campaign by distributing or posting it as a PDF would be helpful. Also, creating PDFs of campaigns would be a nice way to document campaigns in a cumulative way.

This feature would need to be a part of the campaign editing area as well as in the Response tab area for access to PDF creation at different points in the process.
Photo of Steve Palmquist

Steve Palmquist

• 29 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Steve! I talked with our Editor Team’s product owner and learned that this is an idea she’s been mulling over, too. The editor is such a complex tool that converting the guts of a mailing into a PDF from within the app might not be possible. I'm marking this as Not Planned for now, but I'll keep you updated here as we continue to research.

(For those following along, I also want to add that you can create a PDF of a sent mailing from outside of Emma, with more info here. And if you’re looking to print a mailing, here’s more information on why that doesn’t prove so easy.)
Photo of Annie de la Chevrotiere

Annie de la Chevrotiere

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled A "create a PDF of this campaign" option is needed..

I'm all in favour of the "create a PDF of this campaign" option. Very high demand!! The free PDF converters are OK, but not perfect with page cut off, etc.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled pdf conversion update?.

I saw a post from last year asking whether Emma would consider a feature that allowed newsletters to be converted into .pdf format. As a few folks shared last year, our organization would find it quite helpful. Is this something Emma is still considering, or is it off the table?
Photo of Winding Oak

Winding Oak

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I wanted to add that what would be really helpful is if the webview in the response area didn't show a header or footer--that ends up cluttering the PDF. If that same mechanism could be integrated into the campaign editor--a clean webview, then a fairly clean PDF could be made.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
H! When you say a header and footer, do you mean the banner header and footer that are part of the template you're using? In other words, are you looking to create a PDF of only the middle portion of your email?

If that's the case, I wonder if you could simply create a selected screenshot (that's Command-Shift-4 on a Mac) of that center section, and use it.
Photo of Winding Oak

Winding Oak

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi, Katie,

The areas I'm referring to are the bands for "This is a preview email" and "Subscribe to our mailing list." (Screen capture below.) Without those, the result would be a very clean, sharp PDF--I made this by using Google Chrome as my browser. It appears to have a print-to-PDF feature built in. Very handy!

I've tried various screen capture utilities. And, while they would satisfy the basic need, the results are very fuzzy--not good if you are distributing this as an attachment or printing out.

Now, here's the real need--my agency clients would love to be able to access a preview in the Campaign Editor just like you can in the Response tab. However, the preview in the Campaign Editor has even more stuff on the screen that prevents an easy screen capture. And...after all...I am a "person of style" as your home page suggests. Why would my agency clients want to make do with circulating a fuzzy, junked up PDF or printout of a campaign for approval to their CEOs and CCOs? Not cool.

Thanks,
Steve
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Ah, thanks, Steve! I'm on the same page now. It sounds like your need for a PDF of the email is because your clients are getting the email's approval from their CEOs and CCOs before sending it. Have they tried using the Send Test button in the editor for this purpose? That way, their CEOs and CCOs can view the email as it'll appear for recipients, in their inbox.

The "This is a preview email" line at the top is only in test emails. If you send an email via the Review & Send button and grab the webview link from the mailing's Response page, that line doesn't appear.

The "Subscribe to our email list" button will still appear, however, and that's because the goal of marketing emails is to spread awareness and increase readership.

If your clients aren't using the Send Test button to get approval before sending, I'd love to learn why!
Photo of Winding Oak

Winding Oak

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Katie,

"Send Test" is great for some workflows but for some staff meetings but a clean PDF of just a campaign's elements would be great for two reasons: 1.) the PDF itself can be circulated for markup and returned; and 2.) a clean printout can be made and distributed at a meeting. Oh, and a clean PDF would be great for archival purposes, too--much better than a screen capture because the quality would stay high and the text would remain as real text and not an image--would work for archival indexing of PDFs for later search ability.

I tried another test of creating a PDF from a sent message (not a "Send Test"). Even with the subscription bar, it's not too bad, except that if the message is longer than a letter format page when printed. the subscription bar overlays whatever is near the bottom of the pages.

And, the real use my clients are asking for is to be able to have a way to make a clean PDF BEFORE the message was sent (or had to be sent in an individual manner in order to get at it via the Response tab.) It's all about convenience and accommodating different workflows.

As a temporary work-around, what if the subscription bar in the Response tab preview was coded in the CSS to not print. That would be a pretty minor coding change and would at least give my clients a path to what they want, even if multiple steps are involved.

Thanks,
- Steve
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for this insight, Steve! Emails aren't optimized for printing, so it helps to hear that that's what your need is, to print before sending. We'll keep your ideas in mind as we consider this.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Happy Monday, all! We're starting to build this now, so I'm updating the status to Planned. :)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello! We've added this feature this morning. Now when you're on a mailing's Response page, you'll see this link to save your webview as a PDF near the top-right:

Enjoy!