How are mailing response percentages calculated?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Can someone walk me through the math that is used to create the percentages for the following labels on a Compare Mailing export?
  • emails received
  • emails bounced
  • people who opened it
  • people who clicked it
  • people who opted out
I am comparing more than 5 mailings so I need to "redo" the equations by hand/ via Excel, and I am not sure what math Emma used. And I was pretty horrible at percentages in high school.

Thanks. :)
Photo of Liz Stephenson

Liz Stephenson

• 35 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
  • confused, a bit lost

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Ooh, Liz, you’re asking a math question of an English major. :) The first thing to know is that all of these numbers are based on the number of Active contacts you send to. That means that if you send to Group A — which has 50 Active contacts, 20 Error contacts and 5 Opt-Out contacts — the stats are based on the 50 contacts, since Emma only attempts to send to those in Active status. So for the emails received and emails bounced, the question is, "What percent of mailings sent (50) were received or bounced?"

Emma records "received" and “bounced" based on the message each recipient’s server returns to her. When you email me, it’s a transaction of Emma knocking on my server’s door and asking for permission to enter. If my server says "Come right in," Emma records the mailing as having been received. If my server says "Go away," Emma records the mailing as having bounced. (Here are some tips to make it less likely that receiving servers will tell you to go away.)

For who opened, clicked and opted out, these numbers are based on who received the mailing. If you send to 50 contacts and 45 receive the mailing, then these percentages tell you how many contacts of the 45 who received your mailing opened, clicked and opted out. For example, if 30 of the 45 recipients open your mailing, that’s an open rate of 66.6%.

I hope this helps, Liz!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Oh, and if you’re about as much of a fan of percentages as I am, bookmark this handy page. :)
Photo of Brandi Leath

Brandi Leath

• 531 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I'm wondering the same thing.....I'm creating infographics for management and my pie chart isn't matching the percentages in emma's response metrics.

Maybe I am using the wrong graph to relate to each other??  Where does the 8.33% come from?

(Edited)
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Brandi! It’s tough to say, without seeing your calculations, the specific mailing and the program you’re using for your graph. But 8.33% in clicks comes from your open rate. This is saying that 8.33% of people who opened your mailing also clicked a link; 761 is 8.33% of 9,131.
Photo of Brandi Leath

Brandi Leath

• 531 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yep that was it! Thank you Katie!!!! ;) Hope you have a wonderful day! - B
Photo of University of New Mexico-Los Alamos

University of New Mexico-Los Alamos

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a similar question regarding open rate. How can I have a 130% open rate? How can I have 77% open on desktop and 64% open in mobile? I was a journalism major, so my math stinks too!
Photo of Andrew Heuback

Andrew Heuback, Official Rep

• 142 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hey there - I checked out the University of New Mexico-Los Alamos mailings sent in January and didn't find open rate stats that matched the above. Which campaign did you see the 130% open rate and where was this viewed (Response overview in app, the 24 hour response summary email, export of response, compare mailing export)? Let me know and I'll have a look!
Photo of University of New Mexico-Los Alamos

University of New Mexico-Los Alamos

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I got my number from the 24 hr report. I can't find the particular one I quoted, but attached here is another on that shows an open rate in excess of 100%. How am I supposed to interpret that?
(Edited)
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Percentage of clicks vs. opens.

What does it mean when the percentage of clicks is higher than the percentage of opens? I'm using Google Chrome.