Picture sizing and mailing are not responsive on Gmail for iPhone or Android.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

All right guys. Here's the problem. This email (https://t.e2ma.net/webview/utsks/520e26d019883f4f0a1056057d51aaec) looks good on my laptop, it looks good when opened in Yahoo! mail on my Samsung phone. The weird stuff is that if I open it in gmail on the same phone, or if my boss opens it on his iPhone, the picture of the shoe wall is tiny! Tiny. One other weird issue with this template that doesn't appear to have affected the final outcome: in emma's preview of what the email will look like on a phone, the template doesn't appear to be responsive (I have to scroll left and right to see the whole thing).

Smart-sizing is "on" on the pic; I believe it was set to "best fit" size when I first put it in place. Help! This is annoying.
Photo of Portland Running Company

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- I'm sorry you're frustrated! It turns out that Gmail strips out all of the CSS for mobile optimization. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about this from our end. However, I can assure you that other mobile email programs will support the mobile responsiveness of this template...like here in my mail app on my iPhone:

Your shoe wall picture looks tiny on the gmail iPhone app is due to that mailing not responding to the mobile screen size. You're seeing your mailing (in desktop view) on a tiny screen! 

I hope this helps!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
I've also updated the subject line here so that other users with the same question can find the answer more easily!
Photo of Portland Running Company

Portland Running Company

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you for the response. So, why does the email look good when I turn my Galaxy S2 sideways and scroll through the email that way?

Also, what is the solution? Most of our opens are mobile (nearly 70%), and the largest platform segment is Gmail. It's too bad they are receiving the email without the art, essentially.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello again -- I believe you're email is just resizing to fit the wider screen when you flip your phone sideways. The fact that you have to scroll left to right to see the whole mailing means it still isn't responding to the mobile screen.

Unfortunately, we don't have a solution, because the issue lies with how the Gmail app was developed. This conversation explains it all in more detail. I hope this helps!