plaintext needs updating all the time

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Use use a template each week to send out a weekly newsletter. It seems that only recently (the last two emails or so) the Plaintext isn't updated automatically when we replace the HTML text, which has resulted in mumbo-jumbo text being sent out in the Plaintext version. Should there be - or is there - a toggle that says automatically update Plaintext when HTML is updated?
Photo of PBS Hawaii

PBS Hawaii

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Hillary Bridges

Hillary Bridges, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello! 

Always before sending, you should click over to the plaintext view of their mailing, and click to “refresh” that view — there’s a button there that says “refresh plaintext” if it hasn’t been done since edits were made to the html version. 

Cheers!
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
There should be a setting so we can choose to update plain text automatically. Can the Emma team create one? I send a lot of emails and don't always think about updating plain text -- especially since most people don't view emails that way.
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks.
Photo of UPenn Division of Human Resources

UPenn Division of Human Resources

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, customers should be able to set thing up so that a plaintext version is automatically generated just before the email is sent. Either that, or we should be prompted to reset the plain text version.

Thank you.
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I agree. It's difficult remember to update plain text before sending.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks UPenn (and NJPSA)!  

Remember my notes in the "Official Reply" as well that we do have that the plaintext DOES automatically update before send so long as you haven't opened it while editing the mailing.  

We assume that if you're opening the Plaintext, you are wanting to edit it directly, and we don't want to overwrite what you may have edited by doing an "auto-refresh" at the end.  

So, unless you're actively updating things in your Plaintext, there's no need to open that up, because it will auto-update.   

I just wanted to make sure you understood that and didn't think you HAD to update the plaintext before every send.  It's ONLY if you've opened the plaintext, then made changes to the HTML afterwards that you need to update.  

Cheers!
Photo of NJPSA/FEA

NJPSA/FEA

• 108 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Is this a new fix? Last year, I didn't touch the plain text, and it never updated. January text went out for several months.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I should specify (I'll update my older post as well).   The behavior I spelled out applies to new mailings created using a template, not by making copies of older mailings. 

If you are making copies of older mailings as your starting point instead of using templates, then you will need to update the plaintext each time.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
I'll be happy to put this in as a Feature Request for you.   

Just so you know, though, the plaintext is generated from the HTML in the mailing the first time you open up the plaintext.  

In our SUPPORT DOCUMENTATION on Plaintext, we suggest not opening the plaintext of your mailing until you're done with editing on the HTML side.  

So, basically, it only needs to be updated if you go to the plaintext side, then back to the HTML side to make edits, then open the plaintext again.  We don't automatically update it because you may have gone over to make specific edits to the plaintext side, and automatically updating from the HTML would overwrite any of those edits you may have made.  

If you only visit the plaintext section at the end, it will already be updated.  

NOTE:  This behavior is based on creating NEW emails from a template.  If you make a copy of an existing mailing, and you've edited the plaintext of that mailing, then you will need to open the plaintext to update before sending.  

That being said, I'll put in a Feature Request to our developers for that concept.   

Thanks for the feedback!

- G
(Edited)