Recipient Error: "This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted."

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

One recipient of our recent email campaign got this message and nothing else:
"This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program. multipart/alternative"

I used a blank Emma template. https://t.e2ma.net/message/9vuxd/tr0eq
Photo of Santa Barbara Zoo

Santa Barbara Zoo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there - can you give me a little bit more information? I'm not familiar with this error message, and it might be specific to the device or email client the recipient is using. Can you find out if they tried to open the mailing on a mobile device and what email client they are using, i.e, Outlook, Gmail, AOL, etc.?

Thanks!
Emily

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hello again -- I'm just checking in here to see if you still need help diagnosing this error message. Let me know if I can help!
Photo of Santa Barbara Zoo

Santa Barbara Zoo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for following up. We just chalked it up to the user's device because we couldn't get any other information.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Ok, thanks for letting me know! If that error message surfaces again, feel free to reach out here.
Photo of Dawn

Dawn

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've had the same problem for several days.

Friends with Yahoo.com email addresses are sending messages to my email address and they receive an error message/bounce back that is the same "This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the sender to send it again using a different format or email program."  Or their email to me is rejected.

both the senders - my friends and the receiver - myself are using PC desktop computers not tablets or Iphones or other devices. I tried making sure the mail format was html not plain text or rich text and the "compose" mail setting was "convert to html"

Any suggestions?

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi Dawn -- I just want to clarify to make sure I understand. Your friends are replying to you via a mailing you sent them through Emma? When they do that and get that error message, are the emails still going through to you or not? 

Thanks!
Photo of Dawn

Dawn

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
no I didn't send them anything through Emma  - sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of this blog. I will seek help elsewhere...thanks for getting back to me. Dawn

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
That's OK, Dawn! You might find some great answers here for any email woes you're facing. We are most savvy on the Emma application, though. :)