Release Notes (1/25/16): Lightbox forms compatible with secure sites

• Announcement
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Our Product Team released some work this morning enabling lightbox forms to display on secure sites. We know this functionality is important to a lot of you, and we're happy to have this work out in the world!

+ Bug fixes
  • Possible to add individual addresses on a split test, but addresses are not included in mailing
  • Special characters in country dropdown appear as HTML
  • Radio and checkbox options in javascript signup show bullets next to them
  • On new send test, options to send plaintext only or html and plaintext don't work 
  • On review and send, option to send plaintext only isn't saved if recipients are added first
You'll find more information on customizing your lightbox form here in our Resource Center. Give me a shout here if you have any questions!
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Boson Software

Boson Software

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This update appears to have caused an issue with our existing lightbox form. When visiting a secure location of our site (the login page) that included a lightbox form that previously worked, the lightbox script appears to cause a time-out error and you have to stop the script in order to login to the site.

Disabling the lightbox form resolves the issue, so the lightbox form does indeed appear to be the culprit. We've made no other changes to the site.  

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- thanks for letting us know! I need a bit more information to dig in on this. Is the inactive "Test" form in your account the one you're referring to? Am I understanding you correctly, that you were able to get that form to display on the secure location of your site? If so, I'd like to know more about how you accomplished that. Both forms in your account seem to on http sites, rather than https.

Let me know if I'm not tracking with you here and if you have any other information on this. 
Photo of Boson Software

Boson Software

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, it's actually the active one called "Lightbox". I have commented the code out on the site itself and left it active on the Emma side. Prior to today, the lightbox worked on the site using the embed code that is associated with that form.

To get it to work previously, I included the embed code in our Master Page file for the site (we're using ASP.NET), which makes the lightbox display on every page on the site since every page uses the Master Page file. I didn't have to make any other changes to the site or to the lightbox itself. We redirect from http to https on our login page.  

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks for those details! Since the form is commented out, we're having trouble seeing the problem. Would you be up for enabling the form again so that we can check it out? We definitely want to dig in here to see what might be causing that interference.
Photo of Boson Software

Boson Software

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Sure, I've uncommented the lightbox, so you can now see the error. You can see the error when you click "My Account" or "Log In" on the top right of the page. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks! I'll let you know what we find.
Photo of Boson Software

Boson Software

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Emily, any updates on this? This issue is affecting our customers, and I will need to disable the lightbox if a fix is not imminent. 

Thank you for your help in resolving this. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there -- Yes, I have good news for you! We have a fix going out this morning. I waiting to confirm the fix before updating you, but I should be able to confirm it within the hour. :)

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
And this fix is out and working as expected. Thanks again for surfacing this issue for us!
Photo of Boson Software

Boson Software

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It appears to be working on our end. Thanks!
Photo of Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University

Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University, Champion

• 99 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hey Emily,

Suggestion: You might check with the product team about adding instructions to implement the lightbox forms on Google Tag Manager. I know a lot of sites are moving that direction, as opposed to raw Google Analytics implementations, and GTM seems to work well for us over here with the lightbox code.

Thanks,
Kyle

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks, Kyle! I'll definitely take that suggestion back to the team and see if I can get those instructions added to our lightbox form resources. 
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Seconded!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hey guys - We're working on getting these instructions added to the resource page. I'll let you know when they are live!
Photo of Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University

Kyle Gregory | Lipscomb University, Champion

• 99 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Good Deal, Emily! Thanks.
Photo of University of Missouri-St. Louis

University of Missouri-St. Louis

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
New Emma lightbox forms are no longer publishing on our site. See link below. 
http://www.umsl.edu/newstudentprograms/test.html

Also the form setup doesn't accepts wild characters in the URL string.
Couldn't get it to accept this as the URL either.
http://www.umsl.edu/newstudentprograms/Parent%20and%20Family%20Programs%20/Communications%20/index.h...

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Can you tell me specifically which sub-account you're working in and the name of the lightbox form? Did the form you mentioned first just stop displaying today? Have you made any changes to your site recently (just gathering details)?

I'll take a look!

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
New Student Program is the sub-account.

No changes to the site recently, we have tested and successfully deployed lightbox forms from Emma before now. 

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks! I'll dig in here and report back.

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi again -- In a quick check of your form setup, I can see that you have the form set to display on "only the following pages" but have not indicated a specific page there:

Can you try either adding a specific page there or selecting "All pages" then adding the updated script to the site? That should do the trick, but give me a shout here if it doesn't.

I'll check with the Product Team regarding the wild characters. Thanks!

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Can you specify what kind of "wild characters" you're talking about? Our product team has definitely seen things like the spaces in your URL shared above (%20 = space) throw that invalid URL error. I believe that's expected behavior, but I'd like to see what other kind of characters we're working with here.

Thanks!

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The "All pages" was the solution. Thank you.

While the initial URL error with %20 appears to be part of it. I was able to cheat around it because this is only a one page deployment. Thanks again.