Changing group names should update segments that include those group as well.

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL CLEANUP

Another dumb bug. When you rename an audience group, Emma fails to change that name inside any segments that use that group.  And, of course, that means that the segment no longer pulls the right people.  (Also: there's no warning that that's happening.)

It's almost as if the segments are storing the search criteria as free text, rather than as keys specifically tied to particular segments.  Which would be a very poor coding choice.
Photo of Mandate Media

Mandate Media

• 33 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
  • annoyed, again.

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hey there,

Thanks so much for passing these details along for us, and I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with this. I'm definitely passing this along to our developers so we can dig in, and I'll let you know what we find.

Thanks much- definitely appreciative of your efforts to let us know about pesky issues that you've run into- it definitely helps!
Photo of Benton Cummings

Benton Cummings, Senior Manager, Customer Support

• 491 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Hi again,

I just heard back from our developers, and they indicated that because the segments tool relies on the group name rather than an ID, this is actually expected behavior, so the segment would need to be updated if you're updating any group names being used in a segment.

We're currently doing a lot of work to improve every area of the Audience page, and I'll definitely put your vote in for updating our segments to make that a seamless process - our product team loves to get feedback of this nature, and I know it will be helpful as we're planning future product updates.

Thanks so much!
Photo of Mandate Media

Mandate Media

• 33 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yeah, I know. That's really dumb. Probably a legacy of a poor coding choice made by some long-gone developer.  

So yes, put me down as a big vote for fixing that up!
Photo of Josué F. Machado

Josué F. Machado, Champion

• 76 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Put my vote down for fixing this as well. We have multiple users increasingly creating more and more segments. It would be an absolute nightmare having to keep up with group name changes and recreating segments.
(Edited)
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Will do! Thanks, Josué.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi all -- I've updated the status here to Under consideration. We'll continue to collect use cases for this Idea in hopes that we can find a solution that will eliminate confusion here without raising new audience management concerns. Thanks!
Photo of D&S Creative Communication

D&S Creative Communication

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello,
Is there any way this discussion can get put back on the table from 2 years ago?

We have been using Emma for years, but just started using segments a few months ago. Last month, our send to 6 segments missed half the audience in one of those segments. After painstakingly scrutinizing Groups & Segments, we realized it was because we renamed a group (by 1 letter) that was a member of that segment.

If at least a warning was added to the Audience page to indicate that group names are "sensitively attached" to segments, users would be warned that changing a group name will affect segments containing that group.

Thanks,
Mike.
Photo of Noah Shunfenthal

Noah Shunfenthal

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
+1

Would be a great addition since I'm working through more advanced segments/groups myself.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I don't have any updates to this yet, but I will re-elevate that to our product team and will post back here with any updates I get! 

-G
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi folks!   

I wanted to let you know that this issue has been resolved.  Segments based on groups now use the Group ID instead of the group name and will auto-update if you change the group name!  

Cheers!

- G
Photo of Amy Sanders

Amy Sanders

• 42 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That is fantastic news. Thanks Emma team!
Photo of D&S Creative Communication

D&S Creative Communication

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Grey - Thanks so much for moving this forward and getting it resolved.