Opt out of some but not all emails

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Planned
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: EOL CLEANUP

Hi there, how to I log a request for a new feature?
I would like to request an Opt Out form (must like the customizable) Opt In Form where you can Opt out of one sort of email but not another. Thank you.
Photo of Amy Reardon

Amy Reardon

• 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey folks, I just wanted to mirror what I posted a few weeks ago and let you know that we are still hard at work on figuring out a few things:

1. What's the best and most flexible way to setting up this process that makes the most sense?
2. What this will mean for current templates and how we can implement a change in the smoothest way possible.
3. How the solution will fit best and be applicable for the widest variety of use-cases.  

I will be posting back here as I get more information from my product team, but rest assured we ARE working on a solution and it's coming!  

- Grey 
Photo of Star Tribune

Star Tribune

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey Grey,

This feature is definitely something that the Star Tribune is interested in as well. I wanted to answer your questions above in how I think opt-out could work the best for OUR needs anyway. 

1. What's the best and most flexible way to setting up this process that makes the most sense?
A: I would have the opt-out option be designated at a mailing level and include two options to choose from: the first option would be the same as it is now (it opts you out at the entire account level) and the second option would have the opt-out be associated to just a group, segment, or combo. Because we are a news organization and send emails on multiple different topics, it is important (for us) that the opt-out option does not remove the recipient from all topics/mailings but just the one they no longer want to receive. Unless of course they desire a global opt-out and are warned that they will no longer receive ANY emails from us.  
2. What this will mean for current templates and how we can implement a change in the smoothest way possible.
A: I think the simplest way to assign the opt-out functionality (from the choices above) would be to include those options on the screen prior to sending the email. The logic could be that if you selected multiple groups and/or segments to send to, the "opt-out from a group/segment/combo option" could pick up on the groups and/or segments that you are including in the TO field and automatically associate the opt-out with those group/segment IDs. In that way, it would opt the recipient out from all of those groups and segments.  
3. How the solution will fit best and be applicable for the widest variety of use-cases. 
A: As mentioned in my first answer, by having two options I think you are covering almost all types of clients and use cases. 

I hope that helped a bit as this topic is kind of hard to explain on a message board. :) Thanks for asking for feedback!

Caitlin
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I recently saw an infographic by codecomputerlove.com about what customers wanted from digital in 2017, 43.9% (the largest percentage) wanted improvements to the products and services they already use over completely new ideas and experiences. I think this applies very well in this case. I understand the need to develop new features, but there comes a time when priority should be given to updating older features that loyal customers are asking for.
Photo of Restaurant Equippers

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I noticed this topic and those similar reflect "Under construction."
I apologize if I missed an email on the subject and was wondering where I could get some clarification on if that means we are getting the ability to customize the customer's experience such that when they want to unsubscribe, we can offer solutions such as selecting which lists to stay subscribed to, as well as altering frequency. (all done through groups and segmentation I assume).
Thanks!
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
We do have this one "under consideration".  Our product team is currently working on a full reworking of this process and we want to make it as customizable as we can.  

I'm not sure right now what all of the new new features will be and/or how customizable it will be, but we are working on rolling something out on that front.  

I'll be posting back here when I have any updates or if we are looking for testers or anything.  

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Very good. Thanks Grey!

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Any chance Emma will be rolling out any solutions to give people options when they decide to opt out this year?  

Email acquisition is challenging these days, and every quality email address is so valuable. We have to give people options when they have decided to unsubscribe so they know they don't have to "all or nothing" leave us.

I know there are strict laws to adhere to, but there are many other, reputable platforms that offer solutions to retain customers legally. There are perfectly legal ways to tell a customer who wants to unsubscribe, "Ok, but in case you didn't know, you can change your email frequency, or only unsubscribe from our sales list" then have the big red "Unsubscribe from all" easily located on the page for those that really, really want to leave altogether, remaining compliant.

Of course, you have to do what you think is right, and I respect that, and I love Emma's customer service and think you are a phenomenal company. This just happens to be really important to us. More than new features, at the end of the day, we need to collect emails (something Emma makes easy!) and then retain them, Something that seems to have had trouble getting traction at Emma.

Any info you have as to the status or progress of this would be great.

Sincerely, Heath
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Heath!  I've reached out to my product team to get an update if possible and sent along your feedback.  I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back!  

-Grey
Photo of Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union

Jeanne D'Arc Credit Union

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on this? We are a financial institution and while we do send promotional emails, we also send important account related informational emails. Some of our members are choosing to opt out when the receive a promotional email, not realizing that they are opting out from all our emails.  This option may be a deal breaker for us if this isn't an option that can be implemented in the very near future.

Michele
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
I don't have any updates on this currently.  We are still suggesting pointing folks toward the "manage preferences" form instead and using that to remove themselves from specific groups.  
Photo of Bais Chana

Bais Chana

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same issue as @Jeanne D'Arc. Is there a 'manage preferences or opt out' option at least? The opt out of everything is really not working for any of us.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
The language in the footer can be customized on a per-template basis.  So long as the link is there and it's clear what the links are for, that language can be customized if you feel like your contacts would be more responsive to something else.   

If you'd like, I can customize the text (just text, not the formatting) of that for you on up to 3 templates here in support for free.  If you have a larger amount of templates, we could set up a batch edit of those templates through our services team.  
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 123 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Grey, can you do that for us?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Anyone in support can update text or links for up to 3 templates.  I would recommend reaching out via email, and include the exact changes that you're looking to make.  That way there's less of a chance for us to mess it up :)  :  support@myemma.com 

For anything more than that, you would want to reach out via the form at www.myemma.com/design-revisions .  
(Edited)
Photo of All-Star Executive Coaching-

All-Star Executive Coaching-

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the status of this and if it is in, how do I use it?
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1699 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there.  We do not have it set up for the opt-out process.  Currently the way to do that would be through using the Manage Preferences page.  

You can find info on that here:  https://support.e2ma.net/Resource_Center/Account_how-to/Choosing_and_updating_email_preferences