Response overview numbers don't match tabs

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

One other question.  On the overview tab it has listed the amount of opens, clicks, etc, but when I click on the 'opens' tab it has a different number.  Same with clicks.  Which one is the correct number?  Also, in the top right it says I sent 21,701 emails, but the list of contacts that I sent it to only has 18,019 contacts.

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Sneak peek: New Response page topic.
Photo of Quansys Biosciences

Quansys Biosciences

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Hi there - thanks for posting. I'm happy to help!

Can you give me the name of the mailing you are viewing response for? I would love to hop in there and look at what you're seeing. Then I can dig into the details and see what's going on.

Thanks!
Emily
Photo of Quansys Biosciences

Quansys Biosciences

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi.  Sure, it is the Aug. 2014 mailing.  It went out this morning.
Photo of Emily Hollingsworth

Emily Hollingsworth, Alum

• 2203 Posts
  • 158 Reply Likes
Thanks! I took a look at the response for that mailing. I can see that the numbers on the tabs for Opens, Clicks and Opt-outs match the numbers on the Overview page...so I'm not able to replicate that discrepancy that you are seeing. It could be related to the split test results continuing to update there.

I do see the discrepancy in total emails sent and will dig into that further!

Watch for an update from me here!

Thanks,
Emily
Photo of David Wright

David Wright, VP of Product Management

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hey there,

Thank you for pointing this out to us! Thanks to your feedback we were able to start researching the cause and working on a fix right away.

Emily's right — this is an issue we didn't run into during our testing related to split test mailings. For the correct numbers, please refer to the metrics reported within each individual tab (Opens, Clicks, Shares, New sign-ups, Opt-outs, Split Test) rather than the main numbers reported on the Overview tab. 

Without getting too specific, the "21,701 total emails" is basically the sum of your number delivered + number bounced + total number of recipients that received your test variations (which totals to 21,688), give or take a few.

We have identified a fix to catch this moving forward on *new* split test mailings as well as a way to correct what we display for previously sent split test mailings.

We're planning to have this resolved later this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow. Separate from the timing of that fix, we're releasing some enhancements and fixes to the new response experience tomorrow morning, including enabling the click map to display click activity in near-real-time with the rest of the numbers on the Overview tab, without needing to refresh, complete with a subtle animation when new activity is reported. We're really excited about that enhancement and can't wait to hear your feedback.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Again, thanks, and we'll keep you posted as we work this out.

Best,
David
(Edited)
Photo of David Wright

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hello again,

We released the changes to resolve the differences you were seeing on your opens, clicks, etc. when navigating between the Response overview and the individual tabs, as well as the total number of emails sent. I double-checked your two most recent split test mailings in your account and the numbers look good to me but please let me know if you're seeing something different.

Thanks again for providing this feedback. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,
David
Photo of WWC

WWC

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello,

I'm also seeing this in my account, especially with older mailings. While I don't get the alert that the numbers are still processing, I'll see an open rate of 0 or 1% on the overview tab. When I go to the opens tab I'll see the actual number. Is there a fix in the works for this?

Thanks
Photo of David Wright

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thanks for your feedback. The messaging you're referring to that appears in the yellow banner — It takes a little longer to tally Response metrics for older mailings, so check back later for updated totals. Opens by device and client will not be available for this mailing. — will appear until we *start* to receive data for that mailing. We're discussing ways to keep messaging in place until *all* data is available for that mailing. As you pointed out, the tabs will have the correct data even while the Overview is still processing.

Beyond the messaging, we're looking into how to pull the data back a little more quickly on those older mailings.

On new mailings, the data is pulled into the overview tab in near-real-time.

We already have refinements in the works to make sure the response experience is both insightful and fun. Your feedback helps us prioritize this work. Thanks!

Best,
David
Photo of WWC

WWC

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi David,

Thanks for the explanation & info. So glad refinements are in the works.

So is the response data still in the process of being gathered even on the mailings that don't have the message in the yellow banner appear?

Thanks,
Debbie
Photo of David Wright

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hi Debbie,

Yes, that's correct, data might still be gathering into the Overview tab even though the yellow banner may no longer appear. Newly-sent mailings will display the data in near-real-time as it comes in, and you likely won't ever see the yellow banner for any mailing sent before April 1st, 2014 (as we've been collecting data in the new manner behind the scenes for the past few months).

For older mailings, it may take a few minutes or even a few hours to populate that the Overview tab. My biggest concern is the example you commented on — for that older mailing, it was clear that the data wasn't all there yet but we aren't doing anything to help explain that to you. I checked one of your older mailings sent on July 29, 2013 and the data is all there now, including the click map.

If you require access to the data faster than it gets processed and displayed, you can get your details around opens, clicks, etc. directly from the tabs while you're waiting.

So, the last five months of mailing data should be available right away for you, new mailings will be processed in near-real-time, and older mailings may take a little bit to appear, but it will process. For the last category, we're looking to be clearer about what's going on there and to shrink the processing time to net a better user experience.

I hope that helps. Thanks again for the feedback!

Best,
David
Photo of WWC

WWC

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi David,

Good to know about the longer processing time for older mailings and that the data can be gathered on the tabs - as I'm sure my clients will be asking me.

I just opened the response for a mailing sent January 9, 2014. When the overview screen first appears I see that 114 people opened, then it changes the number to 4. However when I click on the opens tab it does show that 114 people opened. From what you said I should expect that data to process and appear correctly when I go back & open that response again later?

Thanks,
Debbie
Photo of David Wright

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hi Debbie,

Exactly. The short version is that if the data isn't there yet — meaning, we have it in our database but not in the format we use to deliver the near-real-time experience, click map, etc. — it will go out and fetch it as soon as you hit that mailing's response overview. For mailings sent before April 1, 2014, we won't have the data in the new format yet and so by browsing to that mailing's response, it starts the collection process. I just checked your mailing sent on January 9, 2014 and it looks like everything in the Overview tab matches the detail tabs now. In some cases, it will only take seconds to minutes to grab all of the data. This "loading" is a one-time thing per mailing.

I do however see that the click map isn't displaying correctly for that mailing. The transparency is showing up, but the circles aren't there. We thoroughly tested a variety of templates before we launched, but it looks like that template isn't playing nice with the click map. I just submitted a bug ticket to the team to take a look. In the meantime, you can click on "List" within the "Click Analysis" section to see the click details:

By the way, if you happen to have an iPhone, logging into Metric actually starts putting your last twelve months of response data into the new format. So if you log into Metric via your WWC credentials (it doesn't yet support agency login), all of your mailings will process fairly quickly.

Please don't hesitate if you have any other questions.

Best,
David
Photo of WWC

WWC

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi David,
Thank you again for the detailed explanation. Sounds like I need to be patient for things to load in the new format. Will do.
Thank you too for the tip about Metric, a good way to speed up my own mailings response info!
Best,
Debbie
Photo of WWC

WWC

• 51 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi David,
Thank you again for the detailed explanation. Sounds like I need to be patient for things to load in the new format. Will do.
Thank you too for the tip about Metric, a good way to speed up my own mailings response info!
Best,
Debbie