Make signup forms mobile-responsive

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Sign-up forms should be responsive / mobile-optimized as people tend to use their phones as a main way to interact with emails.
Photo of JCC Chicago

JCC Chicago

• 32 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hey there! I’m waiting to hear back from our product team about this. I’ll keep you posted here with any news. :)
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Agreed! I'm surprised they aren't already since the emails are. I've done some "non supported" editing to the forms in the past to achieve this, or you can use the API... But having this ability out of the box would be crucial!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi again, all! I’ve flipped this idea’s status to Under Consideration as we keep our eyes on forms this year.
Photo of David Wright

David Wright, VP of Product Management

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hey there,

Yes, we have it on our roadmap to make sure that our forms are optimized and look great across all browsers/devices. We will be tackling this work soon, hopefully by early summer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
David Wright
Director of Product
Photo of Capital Style

Capital Style

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi there, 

Is there any update on responsive signup forms? I see it was on the roadmap. 
Photo of David Wright

David Wright, VP of Product Management

• 110 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hey there, 

Thanks for checking in on this. We're rounding out a new forms experience and are working through the prototypes now. We'd love some feedback, if you have time! Just let me know and we'll be in touch to discuss the concept.

The new concept delivers a modern approach to collecting email addresses: a lightbox, slide-in, or top bar location that can be integrated into your existing site, and customized to display on a certain visit count or at a certain time. For example, display the form when a customer visits X page for a third time or display the form when a customer is on the page for 30 seconds.

This approach is taking priority over a standalone, Emma-hosted responsive version of our forms. With that said, these forms would respond appropriately assuming the site on which they're embedded is responsive.

We are planning to have this new approach ready in Q1 2015.

Thanks,
David
(Edited)
Photo of Clinical Marketing

Clinical Marketing

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd second this! It sucks that they aren't responsive. 
Photo of The GMAA Group

The GMAA Group

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any update on this?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi there! I just saw an early mockup on Monday showing the new forms we're building, and they're mobile-responsive. :) We don't have a firm date for when they'll appear in your account, but they're in progress.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hello again! You can watch our livecast here to get a sneak peek at the new forms.
Photo of Marcus

Marcus

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
The new Lightbox form feature is very nice, but I still need to us the regular old form on a webpage to give people an opportunity to sign up whenever they want and not just when an annoying popup is designated to appear. The Lightbox is not the "be all and all" of email address capture! Please please please add responsive design to your JavaScript forms!!!! And please update the default CSS for the old forms so the email list signup form doesn't look like it time-travelled from the late '90's. I know I can add my own custom CSS, but how many of your target audience have that ability? I can't recommend your services to our clients to use themselves because of this problem. You need to add more form design options.
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

• 68 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Any updates on this? When someone clicks on the 'Manage Preferences' link from an email, it takes them to the mobile browser and is impossible to read. Even when zooming in, it's near impossible to deal with. If I were a customer or client, I'd give up without updating my info.

This is a super basic feature request that would make a world of difference in using classic forms, which in this case, is the only form option we have.
Photo of Steve Sedlock

Steve Sedlock

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm also interested in responsive forms.  I can somewhat adapt the iframe, but on a phone there's still horizontal scrolling to see all of the instructive text and input field width.
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve!  I'll add you in on the list.  I checked in with my product folks and I don't have a time-frame right now, but the more requests we get, the better!  
Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Come on, y'all ... let's flood EMMA's inbox on this one. This thread is now 2 years old. Mobile responsive forms should absolutely be the system default in 2016, not still in the some-day-maybe-we'll-get-around-to-it product development timeline.

Please ... and thank you.
Photo of JCC Chicago

JCC Chicago

• 32 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Agreed. I've been asking for responsive sign up forms for a long time. This also includes updating group preferences, opt-out, etc. Come on. MailChimp has done this for a long time. People who are looking to manage their relationship with a person or company are 2/3 of the time doing so on their phones when reading an email and not a desktop.
Photo of Abi Devins

Abi Devins

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This has been a huge issue for our client. It's 2017 and the forms still aren't responsive. Over 60% of their traffic is mobile and they can't hit "submit" unless they happen to be holding their phone horizontally.
Photo of Badger

Badger

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Emma, any updates on making your signup forms mobile responsive? Come on already. Your otherwise great system is tarnished by this one woefully out of date feature.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi there!  I do believe this feature will be coming soon.  I know our product teams are doing some work on Classic forms at the moment, so stay tuned!  I'll post back here when I get any definitive information.
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello,

Any updates here? This is a must have. I just signed up with MyEmma and am tempted to take my business elsewhere already. I absolutely need the sign up form to be mobile optimized ASAP. Please contact me - ainsley@thisisstacks.com.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there Ainsley, I know we talked about this one yesterday, but I also wanted to point out that in the update for mobile-responsive forms, this will likely first be with the Emma classic forms and not necessarily the WordPress Plugin, as that's a separate product altogether.  I will keep you posted when I find out more, though.  
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hi folks!   I'm going to have an update on this one VERY soon!  

Our product team has been working on this and I'll post back here once we get it in place!  

- Grey 
Photo of YWCA Minneapolis

YWCA Minneapolis

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Will the iframe email sign up forms also be mobile responsive? I'm adding those to my website and just found that they currently are not, which is an issue for us since 60%+ of our traffic is mobile.
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi folks!   Mobile-responsive classic forms are here!

The release was put out this morning.  
This change will apply to all existing “classic” sign-up forms and all forms created in the future. (Lightbox forms are already mobile-responsive and are not affected by this change.) On a non-mobile device, customers should not see a difference in appearance.

Responsiveness is applied to:

• Stand-alone sign-up forms

• Embeddable, iframe based sign-up forms

• Embeddable, JavaScript based sign-up forms

• Manage preference forms

• The opt-in/sign-up confirmation page

Please let me know if you have any questions about this!

- Grey 
Photo of Abi Devins

Abi Devins

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And all of the digital marketing pros using Emma will be toasting at 5pm to celebrate. Thank you!

YWCA Minneapolis

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Grey,

I just created a sign up form this afternoon, and did not see that the iframe was mobile responsive when I applied it to our website. Would someone from support be able to help me with this?

Aimee Wallace - ywcampls.org
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there Aimee, I got your email too, and I'm digging in on that right now.  At first glance I'm thinking it may have something to do with the width of the frame that you've set in the page.   

You may just want to reduce the width of the frame that you've embedded it into and you should see it mobile-optimize.

Let me know once you're able to reduce that and I'll pop in and take a look as well! 

- Grey 

YWCA Minneapolis

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Grey! I updated the main newsletter subscribe form, and that worked and looks mobile optimized now. I did have to add quite a bit height to the form so it would not have a scroll bar on mobile. I'm running into the same issue on this page where I'd like to add a subscribe box just to one email list: https://www.ywcampls.org/get_involved/genywca_young_professionals/ This still has a scroll bar on mobile. Any tips on making this work? We'd also like to add a small subscribe box to our homepage, but want to make sure it is mobile friendly when we do add the smaller subscribe box like this one.
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you, Grey! Really appreciate your team making this a priority. Going to give it a whirl now. 

Best, 
Ainsley
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey Grey, 

Just gave it a try and it's not working for me. See screen attach and please advise! 

Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
A bit more information to clarify for using the iFrame version of your forms.  

If you are using the iFrame form, Emma's form will optimize WITHIN the frame.  So you'll need to have some type of styling code that sizes an iframe element to the width of the mobile device. Just like you would any other HTML element like a div or table.

I think that should help you guys out!  Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers!

-G
(Edited)
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Grey, 

I am using javascript and it looks much better now but how do I get rid of the "clear" button? 
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Grey, 

Actually, this form is taking up way too much space as it's currently laid out. The fields should be able to be spaced our horizontally, not vertically. Please advise. 
Photo of Grey Stepp

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  When using the Javascript version of the forms, you're able to customize the form using CSS.  

We've provided our standard CSS FILES on our Resource Center page (or linked where you grab the javascript for the form) and you can use either these or create your own CSS Files and adjust the form however you see fit.  

I've checked in with some folks around the house who all said that if you should be able to have them display horizontally with some CSS magic, but none of them had actually done it.  

I do know that, in those CSS files is the option to show or hide the CLEAR button as well.  

That being said, if you are looking to truly and completely customize the form in its entirety, you do have the option as well of either building a form using our Open API or having our Technical Services team build out a form for you.  

There are options out there to get you the exact form that you're looking for!  
Photo of 3035199311

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Grey. I appreciate all the info. 

I attempted to edit the CSS to get it to display horizontally but turns out, I'm not savvy enough :/ Will you please let me know if it's in your pipeline to make this a possibility in the future? For instance, in the Emma wordpress plugin you can select "display horizontally" (although it shows up off-center). It would be awesome if you guys could do the same with the classic sign-up form. 

In the meantime, I'll look into the Open API option. 

Thanks again!
Ainsley