Segment by ZIP code within custom miles

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Hey gang ... I currently manage a large e-mail list in Emma for a music act that travels the country.

One of the things we do to get the word out about concert dates is send email alerts to every one on our list within "X" miles of the ZIP Code of the venue we're performing at ... this has worked very well for us ...

The problem I am having though is that to do this kind of segmentation in Emma they limit you to a 50 mile radius ... if I want to do more than that (e.g 100 or 150 mile radius) I have to export the list ... massage it through an external app ... get the export and then re-import it back into its own list ... very painful and manual especially considering we do ~130 dates a year and multiple mailings for each date ... 

Also ... this method is manual as opposed to the dynamic nature of the Emma segments which just need to be refreshed ... it's caused me to drastically limit the number of mailings I can do because of the time and effort involved to make it all happen ...

I wonder if there is a way to still use the Dynamic segments in Emma but be able to "cast a wider net" than just 50 miles ... would be awesome if we could create the segment and type in the number of mile radius we would like to generate for the segment ...

This one feature alone would quite drastically improve our overall experience with Emma and cause us to use it even more!

Thanks to everyone in advance for the feedback ... Have a perfect day!
Photo of Ernie Haase

Ernie Haase

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Ernie! You're right that the largest net you can cast is 50 miles:

I'm giving our product team a shout to see if there are plans to add onto this. I'll let you know what I learn!
Photo of Ernie Haase

Ernie Haase

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks very kindly Katie .... appreciate the followup!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi again, Ernie! Thanks for your great idea. :) This isn't a feature we've heard much interest in or have officially planned, so there isn't work being done on it now.

That being said, we're thinking about what it would take to either expand beyond 50 miles as either a set dropdown option or the capability to type in the miles you want. We'll be watching the number of votes coming in for this idea, and I'll keep you posted with any changes.
Photo of Cedarville University

Cedarville University

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any further word on this? 50 miles is quite limiting for us too.
Photo of Ernie Haase

Ernie Haase

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Katie ... Thanks kindly for the support and for letting this idea "get out there" and possibly generate some interest ... I know for sure that if we had this ability it really would revolutionize the way we use the product and would really allow us to target our audience in a special way!
Photo of Aaron Harris

Aaron Harris

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Higher zip code radius for segmentation.

I need to be able to target audiences based on zip code radii much higher than 50 miles. Is this possible? Our agency has dozens of accounts and we end up having to export the master lists, run it through our own radius finder, and reupload as a group each time a new event comes up. At least a 150 miles option in the dropdown box for segmentation would be immensely helpful. Is there an option somewhere where I can enable something like this and actually be able to use dynamic segments instead of manually updating fixed groups?
Photo of Red Beet Records

Red Beet Records

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie, I'm surprised you said there hasn't been any demand for this. I've been asking for this feature for at least seven years. Perhaps when people see the limited drop-down choices of miles they just give up on Emma changing this...
Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease provide this... Touring bands have fans willing to travel MUCH farther than 50 miles to see their favorite acts. This doesn't seem like it would require much more code-writing, and could be done in a flash.
Please please please have them folks in tech address this. Thank you...
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Hey there!  I'm going to keep my answer to you here so that I can keep your request in with everyone else's.  

I'll ask our folks and see where we are with this and check back here when I know more!  

- G
Photo of Grey Stepp

Grey Stepp, Support Team Manager

• 1700 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi there folks!   

The wait is over on this one!   

Our Product team released some work this morning that now allows for custom "within" ranges for Postal Code in the Segment builder!  

Segment to your heart's content!   :)  

Cheers!

- Grey