Send confirmation email to new subscriber through lightbox form

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Implemented!

Loving the new Email Capture Form feature! Is there a way to send confirmation emails after signup with this new feature? Or will be come in the next update? (Just trying to plan :))

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Sneak peek: New signup forms.
Photo of Gabrielle

Gabrielle

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi Gabrielle! The initial answer is that yes, a confirmation email automatically sends when someone subscribes through your email capture form. If you're a user of our classic forms, you know that the options there are a bit different: You can turn off the confirmation email and have nothing send upon signup, or you can create an automated welcome email to send as the first piece of correspondence to your new subscriber.

I'd love to hear from you what your ideal is here: Do you want to be able to edit the confirmation message? Do you want to turn it off? Do you want to create the confirmation message yourself, using one of your mailings?

Thank you for sharing!
Photo of Gabrielle

Gabrielle

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Katie,

Thanks for the quick response! My ideal situation would be to have the ability to customize/edit/turn on/off the confirmation emails like the classic form. The confusion on the confirmation email occurred because I was unable to tell if it was on or off and I didn't see it as an option.

I've also been playing around with the (new) automated welcome emails to new subscribers, but I want to make sure they also receive the confirmation email. Reason for this is so previously opted out users have the ability to opt back in.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
OK, cool, I'm sharing this with our Product Team as we talk about the next steps with email capture forms. :)

To your second point, I'm not sure I'm following -- A previously opted-out user wouldn't receive any subsequent messages, as long as their email address is in Opt Out status. Are you thinking the timeline is they sign up, receive the default confirmation email, opt out at some point then go back to find the confirmation email to opt themselves back in? The default confirmation email doesn't include an opportunity to opt back in if they've opted out. Do you mean the automated welcome email you're creating? Just want to get on the same page!
Photo of Gabrielle

Gabrielle

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Eek, I may have understood it wrong when I was researching this on a previous thread. This was the process I understood:

1. User opts out
2. User comes to the website (weeks/months later) and re-signs up using our contact form or new email capture form
3. This sends a user a confirmation email and if they confirm, their status changes to opt in

Is this the right process?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Nearly! When the opted-out user re-signs up using your form, that act of entering their email address through the form is what opts them in -- They don't have to click the confirmation link in the email they receive (if you have the confirmation email turned on for that form).

If anyone in your audience, no matter their status, clicks the link in the confirmation email, all that does is shows them in your audience as having confirmed opt-in. And that only serves to show you folks who are that much more interested in your content, because not only did they sign up, but they went on to interact with the first message they received from you.

It can be confusing, and I always have to take a minute to think through that experience and how to explain it. :) Here's a previous conversation where I explain it in more detail, if it helps!
Photo of Gabrielle

Gabrielle

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow, that's much simpler then I thought!

Thanks for all your help!
Photo of Aging Wisely

Aging Wisely

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi! I also just started using this and it's great! I see you were gathering info. on what features users would want--I'd love to be able to edit the confirmation email (maybe have the option of turning it off too) like the other forms. Assuming there's still no way to do that yet? I noticed our email says "confirming your subscription to the ________ email list" and then "Thanks for joining the ______ email list!" and it is the person's name on our account--not our company (which I changed in our other email forms where I could edit the confirm email). This is awkward and could confuse people who are signing up on our site and wondering what is this odd email list I supposedly signed up for. Is there a way to change that even if I can't edit the email? I.E. changing an account setting, etc?
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing this information! The data that's pulled into those fields in the confirmation email is your RSVP name. You can change the RSVP name in your settings by following the steps here.
Photo of Toland Home Garden

Toland Home Garden

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm unable to use the lightbox sign-up form because I cannot edit the unique e-mail reply someone receives when signing up.  When this option is available to have a customized sign-up e-mail response upon lightbox sign-up, I will begin using this feature.  This is essential for creating custom and unique sign-up forms for different portions of my business.
Photo of Restaurant Equippers

Restaurant Equippers

• 27 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Toland,
Something I'm testing is building a welcome workflow, where the first email is basically a clone of the original confirmation email sent with the classic forms. By using the personalization options tags, it can display their name, as well as offer them a double opt-in. 
Next, i'll fire my welcome email a little later. - I had to go this route anyway because I didn't want my welcome email firing at the same time as the confirmation email, so I was able to kill two birds with one stone. (no actual animals were harmed in the crafting of this response.) :)
Not sure if that helps you or not!
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Good morning, all! I'm happy to update you that we're soon to release the ability to turn off a lightbox form's automatic confirmation email so you can create your own using an automated workflow. I'll give you another shout here once that work has been released into your accounts.
Photo of Katie Lewis

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello! You can now turn off a lightbox form's automatic confirmation email and create your own using an automated workflow. :)