Should I delete my Opt-Out list?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Should I delete the people from my Opt-out list once a year to clean up my database?  If I upload a new list and it has those names still in them, they will simply just go back into the list, so am I just creating extra work for myself?
Photo of Angie Charnes

Angie Charnes

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Abby Hollingsworth

Abby Hollingsworth

• 20 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi there!

Personally, I don't see any reason to delete opt-out names. The reason you give is a good one, but also - I like to be able to see the history for anyone in my list. It's good to see the numbers of total opt-outs and dig into when a particular contact opted out if you have questions. 

Maybe if you are paying per contact that might be a reason to clean house annually, but otherwise, I think the data is worth the number in your Opt-Out tab.
Photo of Matt Olsen

Matt Olsen, Champion

• 117 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I agree with the data aspect Abby pointed out. It makes it more difficult to analyze the results of your campaigns over time if you delete this data.

I would also consider the implications of not having the history of that subscriber anymore for a customer service POV. We've had people ask why they stopped getting our emails and I was able to see their profile to remind them that they opted out and then opt them back in.
Photo of Barbara OToole

Barbara OToole

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree with the above. If someone wants to know why they stopped getting your notices, you'll start from scratch to determine why, unless you have that history to refer to.

And also - 
It makes it more difficult to analyze the results of your campaigns over time if you delete this data.

Photo of Ted Hogan

Ted Hogan, Champion

• 145 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
There is a fundamentally basic reason I leave my opt-outs in place -- I need to honor their wishes. If a recipient chooses to opt-out, Emma will not let me inadvertently send a future email to them. I count on that to protect me, as well as to avoid annoying my audience. Yes, you're charged for the total number of contacts in your account, but my opt-outs amount to less than 5% of the total. I figure that is a small price to pay to keep my list clean and deliverable
(Edited)