Having trouble sizing the header image without a gap

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Resolved

I seem to spend a lot of time trying to get the sizing correct on pictures I upload, particularly for the first picture in the heading of my newsletter. Sometimes it's too small or extremely large. When I do finally get one that looks good, there is inevitably a gap to the right of the image because it is not wide enough I guess.

Am I missing something here? Why is this so hard to either widen a picture or at the very least center it?

Many thanks for anyone who can make this an easier process!
Photo of Lauren

Lauren

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I am sorry to hear that you're struggling with image placement. You have the option to adjust image position in a combo block, and you also have the option to change the orientation of single or multiple image block from vertical to horizontal. Since you used the term newsletter, and shared that there was a gap to the right of your image, I am going to guess that you're beginning with a combo block. If that is the case, just hover over the top of the combo block and click options. Then move over to the settings panel on the options modal, and adjust the image position from left to center, like so:

If your newsletter layout typically begins with a large image, followed by text below it, you may also want to ditch the combo block altogether, and instead drag in an image block at the top of your content layout, and then a text block just beneath.

You may also benefit from these tips on adding and arranging images, adjusting image alignment and arranging your email layout.

I am hopeful that these tips will supply the missing piece to make this easier for you. If you'd like me to take a closer look at your last newsletter, please let me know which Emma account you're working in, along with the name of a recent campaign in your account where I can see the problem as described. Otherwise I will presume you've got the help you need and are off to the races!
Photo of USC School of Cinematic Arts

USC School of Cinematic Arts

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same issue. we are using a customized template and I cannot get the header image adjusted to the correct size. The images I am using are horizontal but they are either too wide for my liking or entirely too small. What are the best dimensions to use?
Photo of Cassie Berman

Cassie Berman, Alum

• 153 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I hopped into your account to look at the HTML code for your custom template, and the header image placeholder has a custom size of 640 pixels. Your template is coded to be the same width, which means that header image placeholder is designed to span the width of the entire campaign. 

If you upload an image that is as wide or wider than 640 px, your template is coded to size that at 640 too, so you don't need to fiddle with resizing your header image options at exactly 640. Just be sure the image you upload to that spot is at least that wide and it will scale with the rest of your content. What the image editor can't do is expand the width of an image that is too narrow for the header image spot. So if you upload an image that's too small, it might look a bit wonky.

While I was in your account, I went ahead and made an Emma test copy of your most recent campaign, grabbed a large image off of your website, and uploaded it to that header image spot. The image I took a screenshot of on your website was 799 pixels wide, but if you look at my test, you'll see that Emma sized that image down to fit nicely into its placeholder, like so:

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know if you have any more trouble sizing your header.
Photo of GA REsource Capital

GA REsource Capital

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I absolutely love the diplomacy and attentiveness your representatives display when answering questions and making suggestions!  To be able to do that "naturally" is an art in itself.  So, you either hire people having that kind of mind-set already wired in their DNA OR you've got an outstanding training program.  My guess is that maybe it's both.  Good job and GREAT team, EMMA!!!
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
This made my morning. Thank you so much for your kindness!
Photo of GA REsource Capital

GA REsource Capital

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You're welcome!  Just tellin' it like it is!  I'm sure most people feel the same way but maybe aren't comfortable expressing it.  Thanks, again!  AND...CHEERS!!  :)
Photo of Joslin Diabetes Center

Joslin Diabetes Center

• 28 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I am using a 640 px wide banner for my email template.  It looks good in Emma and he previews, but when I send it to an Outlook account, it is too small.  The result is positioned to the left (and not centered as it should be), and it is horizontally too narrow by at least 50 px.  I went into the settings and changed the margins and the padding to zero, but that didn't change anything.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Photo of Katie Lewis

Katie Lewis, Official Rep

• 3414 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Hi! I'm creating a new thread for us to tackle this, since it sounds pretty specific to your template. We'll get to researching now. :)

Please reference the new conversation here: Template banner is too narrow and not centered in Outlook